1.    #1  
    He told me that YES, T-mobile is already supporting T600. But sadly, he doesnt think they will be releasing it until after the 1st of the year!!! OMG

I asked him if I got an unlocked version of the phone if I would be missing out on anything. He said "Absolutly NO". He thinks the best thing todo is get a unlocked phone. Any features that come with the t-mobile specific phone will be auto downloaded to it, or made easily availble.

Just what he told me.

-Farzon
    There is a certain "window of opportunity" for advanced electronics - that window for the TREO 600 is closing rapidly.

If what you type is true then the window of opportunity for the TREO 600 GSM model will have almost closed by the time of its introduction! (the Holiday Season, according to the HIGHLY suspect biased-source of HAND management, is not relevant for high-priced niche products like the TREOs thus it doesn't really matter that THAT is going to be missed).

Business decisions often are made to the detriment of a device-with-no-market.

If it is true that TMobile isn't going to carry the TREO 600 til 2004 it's almost certainly guaranteed they will buy very few.

(note - we have no evidence of how many TREO 600s Sprint bought other than a few datapoints placing the quantity near 3000 - of course, lack of availability just about everywhere is another datapoint reinforcing that).
  3. purpleX
    The motorola mpx200 starts showing up on the net. $249 with 1 year contract.
    http://msmobiles.com/news.php/1483.html

I wonder if Nagel starts worrying about his dreamy market share number, 70-75%. Knowing how treo disappear overnight in european scene once competitor enter, I would pray very hard if I was him.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    He told me that YES, T-mobile is already supporting T600. But sadly, he doesnt think they will be releasing it until after the 1st of the year!!! OMG

I asked him if I got an unlocked version of the phone if I would be missing out on anything. He said "Absolutly NO". He thinks the best thing todo is get a unlocked phone. Any features that come with the t-mobile specific phone will be auto downloaded to it, or made easily availble.

Just what he told me.

-Farzon
    So where do we buy a GSM treo 600?
    If that's the case, then maybe we will be buy T-Mobile-supported phones from HS next week or so, which will be in line with what Donna Dubinsky said at the recent earnings conference call.
    Originally posted by silverado
    If that's the case, then maybe we will be buy T-Mobile-supported phones from HS next week or so, which will be in line with what Donna Dubinsky said at the recent earnings conference call.
    I had an order w/ Bottom Line Telecommunications for $564- plus tax plus S&H, net $640-. They were expecting delivery from HS on 10/14 of about 300 phones. On 10/14 I went to their site to see if they had received them. On that day they showed an expected delivery date of 11/30 a six week slip. Needless to say I cancelled my order. Now they are showing expected delivery on 11/03. That is just a 3 week slip and 2 weeks from now. (They acknowledged my cancellation and said that they would keep my order in case I want to re-submit it.)

It seems unlikely to me that HS will ship individual phones (at a discount) before filling orders for hundreds (at list). I expect to get one in Europe before I see one here.

It would be interesting to know how many customers Orange has and whether or not they have started to show up in UK high street shops. At current air fares, I might cross the pond.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/19/2003 at 02:28 PM.
    For those who are debating between T-Mobile and Sprint, you should know that T-Mobile does not allow many ports. So far I've found the following Internet services are disabled by TM:

PING
    Remote Desktop
    Game
    WinAmp radio
    Telnet
    FTP

Seems TM only allows web and mail. I don't know if this is just limited by my $30 Internet Plan or is general to all TM network.

So far, Sprint allows all services, even for the $10 vision plan.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Fixup
    [B]For those who are debating between T-Mobile and Sprint, you should know that T-Mobile does not allow many ports.

T-Mobile Internet Plan allows all ports and provides an IP address. The price is the same for both T-Mobile Internet and T-Mobile VPN.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Then why I could not do PING, telnet etc.?
    I've used T-Mobile VPN (same price as T-Mobile Internet and it's $19.95 with a $39.99+ voice plan) for ftp, telnet, VNC, ssh, ping... I'd say it was wide open.
    I have the tmobile unlimited data plan on my voice service for my 270. I do

1. ssh
    2. irc
    3. aim
    4. chatter (multi-platform IM through jabber)
    5. blazer and/or xiinio
    6. telnet
    7. ping

I haven't run into a port blocked on tmo yet. Sounds like FUD to me
    Sounds like their supplier is Ingram, who is now showing the 11/3 date for unlocked GSM Treo 600s.

Greg

Originally posted by whmurray

I had an order w/ Bottom Line Telecommunications for $564- plus tax plus S&H, net $640-. They were expecting delivery from HS on 10/14 of about 300 phones. On 10/14 I went to their site to see if they had received them. On that day they showed an expected delivery date of 11/30 a six week slip. Needless to say I cancelled my order. Now they are showing expected delivery on 11/03. That is just a 3 week slip and 2 weeks from now. (They acknowledged my cancellation and said that they would keep my order in case I want to re-submit it.)

It seems unlikely to me that HS will ship individual phones (at a discount) before filling orders for hundreds (at list). I expect to get one in Europe before I see one here.

It would be interesting to know how many customers Orange has and whether or not they have started to show up in UK high street shops. At current air fares, I might cross the pond.
    Originally posted by jaytee

I haven't run into a port blocked on tmo yet. Sounds like FUD to me
    Well, try Pinging a T-Mobile VPN given IP. It'll blast back:
    "ICMP request blocked by gateway"

I know this is true because I did it on Friday, i tried to ping my friend's mac when he was using bluetooth gprs connection.

This is pinging from the outside internet to a T-Mobile cell phone. I've never been able to run, say, httpd on the treo with a gprs connection and get a 2 way connection. I used to do this all the time with a CPPD connection (on a vdx,ahh, those we're the days..).
    Last edited by chrisfoster; 10/19/2003 at 06:12 PM.
    -- Go Illini!
    Seems like a location issue, here (N. California) all the ports are blocked except http, email and DNS.
    Originally posted by chrisfoster

This is pinging from the outside internet to a T-Mobile cell phone. I've never been able to run, say, httpd on the treo with a gprs connection and get a 2 way connection. I used to do this all the time with a CPPD connection (on a vdx,ahh, those we're the days..).
    well... i've never tried the paths back to the phone, so that could well be true. I just know what is open going out.
    Blocking incoming Pings is common practice. Pings are commonly used by hackers, crackers, and script kiddies to find active IP addresses for the use of attacks and exploits. On a private network Ping is commonly dumped at firewalls so that they don't have to waste bandwidth carrying what is usually not useful data to normal people.

Most service providers will firewall their consumer networks as a "feature" to help protect the innocent from the more preditory net users. Sometimes they do this in an intelligent manner and sometimes they do not.