1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I am confused. Who will ship the GSM Treo 600 that can be used on t-mobile first (either locked or unlocked)?

1. Handspring?
    2. T-mobile?
    3. Resellers?

Or will they all ship about the same time?
    Last edited by BD1; 10/18/2003 at 10:49 PM.
    everyone else is confused and looking for this information as well. Right now the most prevelant rumor is that T-Mobile will release Nov. 24 and that there might be an unlocked version for sale before the end of the month by Handspring. Cingular has stated numerous times that they will not sell to consumers until after the new year. Resellers will likely be prevented from selling before handspring or a carrier by contract so the first places the device will show up will be Handspring or the Carrier.
    I ordered at www.treostore.com and the UPS tracking number says the TREO is on the way to Munich / Germany. (Please no hazzle about the price - a admit it was a mistake to order it for 899 Euros, tried to cancel it and see if that goes through). Nevertheless, I should have an unlocked TREO 600 in my hands tuesday.
    Originally posted by BD1
    I am confused. Who will ship the GSM Treo 600 that can be used on t-mobile first (either locked or unlocked)?

1. Handspring?
    2. T-mobile?
    3. Resellers?

Or will they all ship about the same time?
    only god knows it seems.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Why is the Treo600 Euro GSM so expensive? ($899 Euro =$1,000 US dollars). What gives?
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    Why is the Treo600 Euro GSM so expensive? ($899 Euro =$1,000 US dollars). What gives?
    Different market. It costs more in Europe.

Do you think that people pay as much for Sony products in Japan as we do in the U.S.? Between taxes, export tariffs, etc., the price is going to be higher for Europeans when it comes to U.S. products. (Plus, the tax is included in the retail price that is quoted in Europe. When U.S. companies quote a price, it never includes taxes, shipping, etc.)

They pay as much as $100US for a pair of Levi jeans. Imports are expensive.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Different market. It costs more in Europe.

Do you think that people pay as much for Sony products in Japan as we do in the U.S.? Between taxes, export tariffs, etc., the price is going to be higher for Europeans when it comes to U.S. products. (Plus, the tax is included in the retail price that is quoted in Europe. When U.S. companies quote a price, it never includes taxes, shipping, etc.)

They pay as much as $100US for a pair of Levi jeans. Imports are expensive.
    Agreed these might all be valid reasons but 899 Euros is still a blatant rip-off and I'd advise people to refuse to buy until that price becomes more reasonable (Handspring has certainly neglected non-orange Europe in allowing this to go on without presenting such customers with an alternate, more reasonable means of purchasing).

Here in the UK we are normally charged too much for most things (cars being a famous example where it is cheaper to have a car-dealer in Netherlands, Germany or Belgium ship in a British-specification - i.e. right hand drive - car from the UK, pay them for the car in Euros and then have them send the car back to us in the UK, than it is to buy the car upfront in the UK in pounds).

Fortunately in cell-phones competition between carriers is high and the prices of locked phones are heavily subsidised once a contract is signed. I'm astonished and delighted to get my 600 (due to arrive next week) for GBP 59 (under $100) with a reasonable 200 min GBP 30 a month 1 year orange contract. Number portability does help in making prices competitive - I am quite happy to change carriers every time I upgrade my phone if it gets me these sorts of discounts.

Hopefully number portability will benefit US customers similarly and hopefully the rest of Europe will get a more reasonable price before too long...
    Can you get a GSM Treo600 in the UK now that is unlocked?
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    Can you get a GSM Treo600 in the UK now that is unlocked?
    I don't think so