Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    VersaMail 2.5 docs say that the transport does *not* support SSL for a directly IMAP (or POP) configured account (as opposed to desktop syncing to get e-mail).

VersaMail 2.6 docs say:
    "The VersaMail application supports SSL for incoming mail only; for example, if AT&T is your e-mail service provider, you can receive messages over a secure (SSL) connection."

But VersaMail 2.6 FAQ also says:
    "VersaMail 2.6 supports only the Palm Tungsten T3 and Tungsten E handhelds. It does not work on any other handhelds."

So ... is that last quote true? Why? (I can't see anyway to buy it in any case.)

Also, has ANYONE actually tried VersaMail with SSL & IMAP?

I find PaPi-Mail painful. Functional, but painful. And I don't think there are other IMAP & SSL options.

Thanks!
    --Mike
    I have VersaMail working for me on a 600 for a POP3 account. No problems with it. Have not tried IMAP - not a fan of it. There is very little 5-way support in VersaMail so I returned to SnapperMail.
    Although I find Snappermail great on the whole, my only issue is that it does not sync my inbox. This forces me to use an Internet connection to get a current copy of my mailbox on the Treo. Are there any aps. that will perform just this function for me while I can use Snappermail when i am away from my desktop? Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Okay, but has anyone actually used VersaMail with IMAP over SSL?

Thanks,
    --Mike
    I purchased Versamail at Palm.com because there was no trial. I own a CDMA Treo600 and my mail server is IMAP. You can retrieve mail manually, but the automatic retrieval fails every time. Also, you cannot send mail. Trying to get a refund...
    Andrew
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    I purchased Versamail at Palm.com because there was no trial. I own a CDMA Treo600 and my mail server is IMAP. You can retrieve mail manually, but the automatic retrieval fails every time. Also, you cannot send mail. Trying to get a refund...
    Andrew
    I have used Versamail on various handhelds since it came out. Sending mail works on the treo 600, however I cannot get the auto fetch to run, it tries but does get hung up. I have tryed with keygaurd off, a freash install with a stock Treo 600, etc. No luck. Still find it to be my best option with IMAP. I waiting on Palm Support for any help on auto fetch.
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
  7.    #7  
    Jim,

Are using versamail with SSL or without?

Thanks,
    --Mike
    I use VersaMail on my 600 with IMAP (not ssl though), and the autofetch works great for me. Not sure what the problems others are having.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Originally posted by Mike129
    Jim,

Are using versamail with SSL or without?

Thanks,
    --Mike
    I am using it without SSL
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    Originally posted by Intysoft

I am using it without SSL
    Mike,

I've been trying to get IMAP w/SSL working using 2.5 and because of your thread I now see why this won't work. I too would be interested in getting a copy of 2.6 to see if it would work. Hopefully now that the two companies have merged, Palm will put out a version for Treo600 that supports a direct IMAP w/SSL connection.

Regards...
    I've justed tested 2.6 with the Treo 600 and it works beautifully! IMAP, desktop sync (directly with IMAP), and SSL, also tested successfully...
    Jeremy Howard
    www.fastmail.fm
    Sorry for asking a maybe naive question, but where can I get Versamail 2.6 ? Currently, PalmOne only proposes it bundled with some of the Palm T.

Thanks
    Olivier
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $can$'$t$.

I got it bundled with a Tungsten E, and tested it with my Treo 600.
    Jeremy Howard
    www.fastmail.fm
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Handango is only showing 2.5 as well.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Well, my hunch is this (and can't verify it yet, cause I need an account on a server that would work). Many sites use "self-signed certificates" using an internal certificate authority (such as a Microsoft certificate server, or like me Novell Certificate Server). These servers are "self-signed". You know how when you are using your browser you might sometimes hit a site that says the CA is unknown, do you want to accept it? Your browser has the ability to "trust" a self-signed certificate. Some WAP browsers and email clients cannot. And my guess is that VersaMail will only do SSL to a "trusted" CA certificate.

What we've had to do at many sites to get webmail to work, is to have the site actually "purchase" a certificate through someone like Verisign.

On my server, if I use VersaMail in SSL it will connect and attempt to login, and then the server tried to send the certificate info back to the phone. VersaMail gives a "timeout waiting to login" error - since there is no other message it's vague, but my guess is it is rejecting the certificate.

Also, VersaMail says that it cannot do auto fetch if you are using SSL.

Danita
    I just got my copy of Versamail 2.5 yesterday for my T600 CDMA and both IMAP and IMAP/SSL work.

I run a self sign imaps server for my mail running uw-imaps. the only thing that i could not get to work is auto fetch with imap/ssl. A message pop up and said that autofetch douse not work with IMAP with SSL so i just use my IMAP with auto fetch and everything is great.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Hmmm - okay - then it's maybe not the self-signed cert that's causing the problem. I actually get a "timeout" when using SSL - I can see the phone login, but it never seems to get any info back from the IMAP server.

Still checking <g>.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Alright - it was not the certificate that was the issue. I have two IMAP servers. One times out at login, the other works just fine!

So, I can say that YES, I have IMAP/SSL working in VersaMail 2.5 on my Treo.

However, can't auto-fetch with SSL - I'm not sure why not! Will ask <g>.

Danita
    I am successfully using Versamail 2.5 with my Treo 600 using IMAP/SSL (but not auto fetch).

it works fine with one exception, when I send a message I get an error that it can't move the message to the sent items folder. However the message is going out.

Has anyone else seen this?
    I desperately want to see how Versamail 2.6 performs, but I've been very dissapointed with 2.5.

First, it's definetely not built for the five-way navigation, can't get around without using the finger or stylus. Annoying things like going to the next email message, or deleting the current message.

On the positive I've got it up and running, and the Outlook sync and imap support is definetely very cool.

But with autofetch not working (on a pre-release Tmobile GSM version) and the five-way jog dial problems I'm pretty dissapointed I spent the $35.

Snappermail is probably the best for now, although it doesn't satisfy everything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast