Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm loving my T600.

Tried to enter in a log-in ID at Yahoo that contains an underscore character. I couldn't figure out how to enter it as it does not seem to be represented on the keys of the keyboard. Since there is no graffiti, there is no pop-up keyboard onscreen which would be another way to enter the data and special characters.

Also, can one use the d-pad & keyboard only, without using stylus, to perform copy/cut/paste functions? Is there a way to highlight everything in a field without dragging the stylus across text?

Any help is appreciated.
    I am having the same problem and I am still seeking a reply as to where is the touchscreen if any. I can't imagine why this feature was removed, since the Treo 300 has it as well as graffiti. I think this is a ideal feature.

Sorry, don't have a answer for the copy and paste question. Right now I thing the stylus is your only option for this feature.

Anyone any suggestions?
    on treo 300 do option key then f key then ... key this should be in your manual.
    Originally posted by Munir
    I'm loving my T600.

Tried to enter in a log-in ID at Yahoo that contains an underscore character. I couldn't figure out how to enter it as it does not seem to be represented on the keys of the keyboard. Since there is no graffiti, there is no pop-up keyboard onscreen which would be another way to enter the data and special characters.
    Now this is based on reading the user manual rather than actually trying it on a 600 - I don't have one yet - but try the following:

Option S (to insert a hyphen) then Alt up/down to cycle through a list of special characters, and finally Centre when underscore is displayed.

Most of the characters which appear on the keyboard have a similar Alt list for special characters. I would be surprised if the manual that comes with the 600 doesn't have the same list that I'm looking at in a downloaded manual.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    on treo 300 do option key then f key then ... key this should be in your manual.
    Thanks for the info... I know how to get to the on screen keyboard on the Treo 300 ..its the Treo 600 that doesn't appear to have this feature.
    My T600 is on the way.

One concern is that several posts note that Graffiti is non-functional on the T600. While the keyboard is definitely better for data entry, how can you cut and paste sections of text without using the stylus to highlight the selection?

Has any one tried Jot on the T600? If so, what version do you have?
    Originally posted by Chu Zoo
    My T600 is on the way.

One concern is that several posts note that Graffiti is non-functional on the T600. While the keyboard is definitely better for data entry, how can you cut and paste sections of text without using the stylus to highlight the selection?

Has any one tried Jot on the T600? If so, what version do you have?
    Even though Graffiti is not (as far as I can tell) included with the 600, there are many posts which indicate that third party products are available, and user can choose the input method of their choice.
    Originally posted by Chu Zoo
    While the keyboard is definitely better for data entry, how can you cut and paste sections of text without using the stylus to highlight the selection?
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I find that highlighting text accounts for a large percentage of why I need to use my stylus on my Treo 300. I'm hoping that Handspring designed some key/D-Pad combination to allow you to do this without the stylus. Anyone?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by its_treo4me
    I am having the same problem and I am still seeking a reply as to where is the touchscreen if any. I can't imagine why this feature was removed, since the Treo 300 has it as well as graffiti. I think this is a ideal feature.

Sorry, don't have a answer for the copy and paste question. Right now I thing the stylus is your only option for this feature.

Anyone any suggestions?
    I am trying to understand your question:

"where is the touchscreen if any"

and it does not make any sense to me.

Although I do not have a 600 in hand to verify it, there has to be a touchscreen. If there were no touchscreen, why would a stylus be included? So your question only makes sense if the touchscreen on your 600 is defective.
    I just downloaded the manual from Handspring's site and searched through it. It was a little fuzzy on this point, but it looks like you might be able to highlight a single word by positioning the cursor (with the D-Pad presumably) on a word and pressing the center button. Pressing the center button again should un-highlight the word and ready the cursor for editing individual characters. I'm not certain if I interpreted this correctly, so perhaps someone can try this.

Unfortunately, it did seem pretty clear in the manual that you need to use the stylus to highlight multiple words. That's a big disappointment. As I said, highlighting blocks of text is the main reason I need to use the stylus on my Treo 300, so it's pretty sad that they couldn't have figured out a key combination to allow you to do this. IMO, you ought to be able to position the cursor (with the D-Pad) at the beginning of a word, hold down some button (say the blue/silver button, for instance) while moving the D-Pad to highlight as much as you want. Perhaps someone can develop some sort of software applet to do this.

On another note, it doesn't look like Handspring built in support for what KeyCapsHack lets me do with a Treo 300. For those that don't know, that hack allows you to press and hold a letter to capitalize it. This functionality was introduced, I believe, with the original RIM Blackberry and I think palmOne's Tungsten C may have it as well. Because X-Master hacks don't work with OS5, it looks like we'll lose that ability with the Treo 600.

Scott
    Originally posted by newtreouser

I am trying to understand your question:

"where is the touchscreen if any"

and it does not make any sense to me.

Although I do not have a 600 in hand to verify it, there has to be a touchscreen. If there were no touchscreen, why would a stylus be included? So your question only makes sense if the touchscreen on your 600 is defective.

Sorry, I tried to go back and edit but I couldn't.. I meant a onscreen keyboard.

This was featured on the Treo 300 yet it doesn't appear to be on the 600.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I

Unfortunately, it did seem pretty clear in the manual that you need to use the stylus to highlight multiple words. That's a big disappointment. As I said, highlighting blocks of text is the main reason I need to use the stylus on my Treo 300, so it's pretty sad that they couldn't have figured out a key combination to allow you to do this. IMO, you ought to be able to position the cursor (with the D-Pad) at the beginning of a word, hold down some button (say the blue/silver button, for instance) while moving the D-Pad to highlight as much as you want. Perhaps someone can develop some sort of software applet to do this.

On another note, it doesn't look like Handspring built in support for what KeyCapsHack lets me do with a Treo 300. For those that don't know, that hack allows you to press and hold a letter to capitalize it. This functionality was introduced, I believe, with the original RIM Blackberry and I think palmOne's Tungsten C may have it as well. Because X-Master hacks don't work with OS5, it looks like we'll lose that ability with the Treo 600.

Scott
    On the 300, I use my index finger nail instead of the stylus to highlight text by tapping. Single tap to place the cursor, double tap to select the word, tripple tap to select the paragraph. Works well for me. I hardly ever use the stylus. Just about the only time I use it is to do a hard reset when a paper clip is not handy.

The Keycaps hack is a great tool! I hope the developer will get it to work on the 600. It'll be a great let down if not.
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    On the 300, I use my index finger nail instead of the stylus to highlight text by tapping. Single tap to place the cursor, double tap to select the word, tripple tap to select the paragraph. Works well for me. I hardly ever use the stylus.
    I lost my stylus a while ago and do the same thing. But that's not really the point. The whole idea with the improved thumbboard/D-Pad integration on the new Treo 600 was that it was supposed to allow you to keep your thumbs on the keyboard and reposition/select things with the D-Pad (again, using your thumb). Having to tap on the screen, whether it be with a stylus or your fingernail, still requires repositioning your hands.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I lost my stylus a while ago and do the same thing. But that's not really the point. The idea is that the new Treo 600 was designed so that you could keep your thumbs on the keyboard and occasionally reposition/select things with the D-Pad. Having to tap on the screen, whether it be with a stylus or your finger, still requires repositioning your hands.

Scott
    OK Scott R I get your point now re the D-Pad. With the 600, we all strive to be one arm bandits!
    Originally posted by Munir
    ... there is no pop-up keyboard onscreen which would be another way to enter the data and special characters.
    On my Visor, a great many applications have a Keyboard option on the Edit menu, which displays an on-screen keyboard. Is this not still available in the 600? It appears in the emulator.
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

On my Visor, a great many applications have a Keyboard option on the Edit menu, which displays an on-screen keyboard. Is this not still available in the 600? It appears in the emulator.
    kmwmtd,

That's what I am trying to find out... where is the onscreen keyboard and if the Treo comes with it how do you access it? How did you bring it up in the emulator?
    Originally posted by its_treo4me

kmwmtd,

That's what I am trying to find out... where is the onscreen keyboard and if the Treo comes with it how do you access it? How did you bring it up in the emulator?
    After several replies I found the onscreen keyboard on the emulator...safe to say its on the Treo 600.. you were right, Kmwmtd, it was on one of the applications. I found it on the calender.

Thanks for the info.
    I am using a review unit without documentation. How do I do an underscore? On that some note, where can I find a list of other characters not found by using ALT?
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    I am using a review unit without documentation. How do I do an underscore? On that some note, where can I find a list of other characters not found by using ALT?
    There are two options for underscore.

1) Opt 's' (to insert hyphen) then Alt, and select underscore from list
    2) Use on screen keyboard using Edit->Keyboard

The only place I know with a complete list of characters is the user manual.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast