Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I first got my Treo 600, I was able to get a 100% charge. Now, 5 days later, I can only get a 99% charge after a full night of charging. Anyone else have a similiar condition?
    Yes, and I think it's due to the overnight charging. The LED turns green, the Treo (this is just my theory) quites charging. It then slowing discharges, but it has not gotten to the point ti turn the charger back on.

I tested this thery today on the way to work. Put my T600 on the car charger, it tunred green, I checked the icon and it was at 100% and after unpluging it, it was still that way.

Just my 2-cents, Matt
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    By the way, are you finding battery life improving with time? I find I can go a whole day and I am at 93% at the end of the day. While my usage is not as heavy as the first few days, I use it whenever I need it without any thought as to battery drain and I have Snappermail fetching every 10 minutes.
    John
  4. jrv
    mjaw: Lithium batteries are great but require very careful management of charging (and discharging). Most engineers try to hide this magic by rounding appropriately (if we're bouncing around the full-charge point just report 100%) but it might be visible to users here.

I have always found battery life in standby to be highly variable with Sprint. It seems to depend heavily on signal strength as well as how much I move around (which might cause momentary loss-of-signal requiring tower re-acquisition).
    Last edited by jrv; 10/19/2003 at 02:09 PM.
    What should be done charging/discharging-wise to maximize battery life then?
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    What should be done charging/discharging-wise to maximize battery life then?
    Page 5 of the manual has some guidelines. They state it better than I could, but basically they say to charge it at your desk constantly. The lithium battery lasts longer if constantly topped off instead of competely discharged.
    Actually I think the reason that the battery life got better after the first day or so is that during that first day the backup battery had to be charged, but I'm not really sure.
    Turn off the phone part of the treo and you'll get up to 100%... otherwise 99% is all you'll get.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I noticed my battery indicator stating 100% for some time now! The first few days I noticed it drop to 93% with moderate use, but not lately. I do top it off several times a day while syncing etc. But today I watched a whole episode of Futurama on it at a coffee shop, and played MP3s during a an hour long walk, plus made a couple of short calls....

When I got home and looked at the battery it still showed 100%!!! I dread to think it is a faulty reading (like my fuel indicator on my car which stopped falling below a quarter-full!!!)

I won't charge it and continue to use normally and see if the damn thing starts dropping!

(Can't believe I'm complaining about a battery being too good.... If I'm not careful I might carve up this goose to see where all these golden eggs are coming from)
    test my theory, check it after the LED turns green. In the mornging, the LED has been green for a while and it probably has not fallen below the threashold...

Mine stil shows 100% after I charge, unless I leave it on the charger for a long time. Then if I unplug it, plug it in again and chekc when it turns greem 5-15 min, it'a 100%
    Originally posted by Simsim
    I noticed my battery indicator stating 100% for some time now! The first few days I noticed it drop to 93% with moderate use, but not lately. I do top it off several times a day while syncing etc. But today I watched a whole episode of Futurama on it at a coffee shop, and played MP3s during a an hour long walk, plus made a couple of short calls....

When I got home and looked at the battery it still showed 100%!!! I dread to think it is a faulty reading (like my fuel indicator on my car which stopped falling below a quarter-full!!!)

I won't charge it and continue to use normally and see if the damn thing starts dropping!

(Can't believe I'm complaining about a battery being too good.... If I'm not careful I might carve up this goose to see where all these golden eggs are coming from)
    I've noticed this same thing in the past few days. I think i'm going to quit charging it everynight just to see if it makes it drop.
    Be careful....some1 else here was saying the same thing but then one day it gave the critical alert then wouldn't turn on. Once put on a charger, all the data was gone.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Well its almost 12 hours later (overnight). No charging. Couple of short calls and more MP3 playing.... still showing 100% battery.

Hmmm This is getting worrying. Though all my data is always backed up, and not even worried if the indicator never works as I top off at every opportunity...

Just the thought that the battery might suddenly pack up altogether or phone lock up...
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Just noticed this other thread dealt with the problem.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...indicator.html

Did a soft reset and, abracadabra, meter reading more realistic!
    please check this link...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Quote"

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Battery research is focusing heavily on lithium chemistries, so much so that one could presume that all portable devices will be powered with lithium-ion batteries in the future. In many ways, lithium-ion is superior to nickel and lead-based chemistries and the applications for lithium-ion batteries are growing as a result.

lithium-ion has not yet fully matured and is being improved continuously. New metal and chemical combinations are being tried every six months to increase energy density and prolong service life. The improvements in longevity after each change will not be known for a few years.

A lithium-ion battery provides 300 to 500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, engineers often refer to "digital memory" on batteries with fuel gauges. Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) "

Simple Guidelines

Avoid full discharges; recharge lithium-ion more often. Repetitive random charge does not harm the battery. There is no memory.
    Keep the lithium-ion battery cool but do not freeze. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.
    If your laptop runs without a battery and fixed power is used most of the time, remove and store the battery in a cool place.
    Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing date. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices
    I had this problem yesterday. Left the house for the day to go to my daughter's competition.

Used the phone, she played some games on it, checked email 2 or 3 times, took and emailed photos, checked the net to stay updated on scores ...

Got home and the Battery Graph said 89%.

Sync'd Avantgo and it dropped to 17% in a heartbeat. I think the poster above is right ... a soft reset resets Battery Graph and makes it more accurate.

FWIW ...
    i just did a soft reset and it dropped from 100% to 77%. ive got it charging again so we'll see if it works ok now or if soft resets are going to become a common occurance
    I have experienced the same issue. My battery indicator stayed at 77% after many calls, data and 2-3 hours of MP3 use. I performed a soft reset and the indicator dropped to 45%.

While I was pleased with the battery life (a lot better than my old T300), it worries me. Does this mean we have to continually do a soft reset to make sure our battery doesn't run out????
    It is not only inconveient that we have to do a soft reset to re calibrate the battery gauge.

The constant erroneous battery reading could shorten the life of our batteries. For example the gauge might read that the battery is 70% full while in reality it is already below the 30% level. This would shorten the life of our Li-Ion batteries as these batteries dislike deep discharges.

Lets e-mail handspring to address this issue in their (surely) upcoming patch.

On a lighter note i've noticced that the Treo 270/300 battery replacement is only US$50.00 now. So years later when our T600's are out of warranty we can replace their battery at perhaps the US$50.00 region.
    What hardware revision do u guys have? I have a B that hasn't been having these battery issues.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast