1.    #1  
    In my un-scientific survey of other threads the majority of posts seem to think that a sweetheart deal with Sprint is to blame for the delays in GSM TMo/Cingular release.

I think TMo and Cingular are to blame for the GSM delays. My hypothesis is that there may have been a deal w/ Sprint to get a week or two lead on GSM (hence the original release dates). I think that TMo and Cingular got pissed off by the Handspring sales effort on the HS website and used that as grounds to start a **** fit. Maybe they used it as pretext to hold HS over the barrel and squeeze for discounts to offer their own customers.

I just don't think HS would be so amature as to flub the launch for technical reasons. I think they had a deal in principal with Cingular and TMo but one or both of these carriers balked at the HS discount deal initially touted on the HS website. Notice that this deal is no longer featured prominently on the HS website.

I have no inside knowlege, but I do know that squeezing someone when they're vulnerable is a Silicon Valley/telecoms textbook play. HS is quite vulnerable with their launch followed by the proposed merger with palm.

Nevermind that a sucessful launch of the T-600 is desperately needed by the telecoms. They need the new technology to create a buzz and get the masses buying **** again. The T-600 could get the critical mass of data customers that they need.

Sorry for the longwinded speculation.
    Originally posted by jsl94117
    In my un-scientific survey of other threads the majority of posts seem to think that a sweetheart deal with Sprint is to blame for the delays in GSM TMo/Cingular release.

I think TMo and Cingular are to blame for the GSM delays. My hypothesis is that there may have been a deal w/ Sprint to get a week or two lead on GSM (hence the original release dates). I think that TMo and Cingular got pissed off by the Handspring sales effort on the HS website and used that as grounds to start a **** fit. Maybe they used it as pretext to hold HS over the barrel and squeeze for discounts to offer their own customers.

I just don't think HS would be so amature as to flub the launch for technical reasons. I think they had a deal in principal with Cingular and TMo but one or both of these carriers balked at the HS discount deal initially touted on the HS website. Notice that this deal is no longer featured prominently on the HS website.

I have no inside knowlege, but I do know that squeezing someone when they're vulnerable is a Silicon Valley/telecoms textbook play. HS is quite vulnerable with their launch followed by the proposed merger with palm.

Nevermind that a sucessful launch of the T-600 is desperately needed by the telecoms. They need the new technology to create a buzz and get the masses buying **** again. The T-600 could get the critical mass of data customers that they need.

Sorry for the longwinded speculation.
    I think the delay is clearly attributable to carrier problems with T-Mo and/or Cingular (and since I've heard only T-Mo rather than Cingular scuttlebutt, I think that its more likely T-Mo).

The question is what kind of problems.

I tend to be skeptical about your view regarding some annoyance with the push that Sprint has had, both on its own and via HS. It's hard to deny that Sprint has been the carrier most supportive of Treo. If you think about it, they were late to the Treo game with the 300 which they launched long after T-Mo and Cingular were out with the 180 and 270. Indeed, they had to put more behind the product, I suppose, to convince HS to develop a CDMA version that just about no one else could support. The GSM/GPRS version is generally the platform of choice for such phones and HS had a model out that could serve just about everyone other than Sprint.

Sprint, more than any other carrier, backed the 300 as an important product. It suited their interest in light of their new data network to get behind a top smartphone product and if you just look at these threads, the Sprint 300 threads and posts outnumber all of the other sections - and that's with only one carrier supporting the 300 versus the 180/270.

With all this said, it makes sense that Sprint would have a greater interest in the 600 and HS would feel more comfortable in giving it's most supportive partner first crack this time, rather than last. Sprint probably invested a lot in the launch as well, and probably worked closer with HS in the development than any other carrier. A similar pattern seems to have played out in Europe in the close partnering with Orange.

It's not surprising to see, therefore, that Sprint got first crack and a clear field for two solid weeks and counting.

I would doubt that T-Mo's delay is due to spats with HS. HS has already announced that they will give the same discount for GSM upgraders that they gave to Spring upgraders. And people who want a contract or contract extension with T-Mo can - and prolly will - seek them whereever they buy their phones. When you buy a $400 phone that is carrier specific to T-Mo, it's hard to see how T-Mo is hurt - you are obviously committed to staying with T-Mo for a while as your purchase demonstrates.

The real delays that may be happening are deliveries to non-carrier re-sellers. The electronic stores that re-sell phones and service are generally the least concern to HS since their relationships are less direct and less dependent. Look at it this way - HS is like anyone else in setting its priorities. It seems that they will deal with their own customers first, whether they are direct retail customers or established carriers. With a lot of early activity, it makes sense that they push off the non-carrier re-sellers if order fullfillment would interfere with their ability to deal with us and the carriers.

Since the non-carrier re-sellers are the only ones talking regarding product and availability, the slippage in this least important channel is causing a lot of nervousness among early adopters. I think it's likely misleading for the reasons stated, and also because the non-carrier re-sellers are probably annoyed and therefore spreading loose talk.

Just my thoughts........
  3.    #3  
    I was unclear in my previous post.
    I don't think TMo's problem is with Sprint getting first crack at the T600. I think the problem is that HS was promoting a sale on T600s via its own website before TMo has a chance to sell them. I only mentioned the Sprint head start to point out that what was supposed to be a one to two week head start on release for Sprint has turned into a much more extended lead. This is to suggest that something in the negotiations has changed.
    I just don't see a technical problem at this time.
    Originally posted by jsl94117

are you kidding? they didnt have carrier approval from ANY US GSM provider at the time of the San Fran launch party- and as of three days ago, they didnt have final contract with them either, according to a CSR i spoke to-
    you know what that means? they f@%!d up the launch