1.    #1  
    Wow! The Treo 600 is totally amazing! It is by far THE MOST single usable handheld or phone I have ever owned. When I got the Treo 180, I loved it, I got to drop phone & Palm in favor of one device, but to be honest, that was mostly it especially since there was no GPRS at first. The speed and features of the Treo 600 are in a totally different class, and make wireless data much more usable for me.

My wish list here is in the interest of improving the otherwise fantastic device. This wishlist is NOT for high res, better camera, wifi, all the great stuff that I too wish for, but it is specifically a wish list for the first software refresh for the 600. All are things to address annoyances that I've come across repeatedly and had to say: "Now that's dumb. Why did they do that?"

The list:

1. Smart dial everywhere in phone app
    2. Start phone app in Favorites
    3. DPAD scrolling
    4. Calendar - show schedule for time of day
    5. Memopad - fix scrolling bug
    6. Stay on in cradle

1. Smart dial everywhere in phone app

When you start typing either a number or name in the phone app, it should automatically figure out if you are typing a real name or just dialing a number. As others have pointed out elsewhere, the lack of smart dial is a big takeback from 1G (1st generation) Treos. Smart dial should be avaiable in both dial pad and favorites screens.

2. Start phone app in Favorites

I care somewhat less for this feature, but since many people want it, I'll add it to the list.

3. DPAD scrolling

I love the DPAD but for me, its usability could be enhanced even more by adding scrolling capability. DPAD should become smarter by doing micro movement (single line, single item) with a click and doing macro movement (scrolling, faster movement) with a press-and-hold. This would really improve DPAD usability in apps like calendar, memo, any app with lots of items.

4. Calendar - show schedule for time of day

When you select calendar, it shows the beginning of day even if it's 4pm. Calendar should automatically scroll and show the current part of the day. I think this is a takeback from earlier version (my 180 needs a charge so I cant' check :-)).

This combined with lack of DPAD scrolling (item 3) is a real annoyance for me.

5. Memopad - fix scrolling bug

This one is just a bug, plain and simple. When you select a memo item with the DPAD and then hit DPAD down, it scrolls to the bottom of the note, while the scrollbar shows that it is at the top of the note! First of all, it shouldn't scroll to the bottom, and when it's at the bottom, the scroll bar should show it at the bottom!

6. Stay on in cradle (or charge)

When the unit is being charged, there should be an option to keep it on. I used the add on app for this with the 180, but this should just be built into the OS. Having to do keylock when the device is charging on my desk is a little dumb.
    I'm with you on all of these (especially #6)

I would also add the ability to add pictures and ringtones to ALL contacts, not just the Favorites.
    I would like to have a true keygaurd lockout on the Treo 600. This lockout would prevent the spacebar and enter keys from answering a call, and keep the ringer from becoming muted when a key on the keyboard was depressed.

A number of Treo 600 users with flipstyle cases would very much appreciate this being fixed.

If you agree please write handspring and your carrier!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Godzilla

6. Stay on in cradle (or charge)

When the unit is being charged, there should be an option to keep it on. I used the add on app for this with the 180, but this should just be built into the OS. Having to do keylock when the device is charging on my desk is a little dumb.
    There's a small app called OnCradleOn which does this and works on the T600. Look in PalmGear.
    Originally posted by satyric
    I'm with you on all of these (especially #6)

I would also add the ability to add pictures and ringtones to ALL contacts, not just the Favorites.
    I second that.
    Personally I would have liked a time and kb tracker built in. It's just that sort of phone! I use mLights, but being able to control the keyboard backlight should also have been built in. And lastly I'd like to be able to highlight things using the keypad.
    I believe the single biggest improvement software-side would be an app that lets you select text using the dpad+shift.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Have the ringer play through the earbud when on headset.
    Originally posted by jsabo
    Have the ringer play through the earbud when on headset.
    You can actually achieve this if you get a 4-pole headset; the ones with 3 black bands on the jack (eg. 2.5mm Nokia-compatible headsets).

The ones meant specifically for the Treo 600 are 3-pole headsets; they have 2 black bands on the jack.

With the 4-pole headsets, ALL sounds (even MP3s) are routed to the earbud.
    if it can be done, fix the blue dots.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Originally posted by rudychow

You can actually achieve this if you get a 4-pole headset; the ones with 3 black bands on the jack (eg. 2.5mm Nokia-compatible headsets).

The ones meant specifically for the Treo 600 are 3-pole headsets; they have 2 black bands on the jack.

With the 4-pole headsets, ALL sounds (even MP3s) are routed to the earbud.
    Have you tried this? If so what head set did you use? Did the mic on the headset still work?
    Originally posted by Fittske

Have you tried this? If so what head set did you use? Did the mic on the headset still work?
    Yes i did.
    Tried it with a nokia headset, HDC-5.
    Has the added benefit of better callsound quality compared to the bundled Treo headset.
    Gave it up though as the answer button on the mic doesn't work (get a 3-pole headset if you want this functionality).
    I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet; but the ability to turn the backlight/screen off when in a call or using PDAnet.

I would love to turn the backlight off when on a long call. PDAnet also keeps the phone screen on during the entire connection which is a huge battery strain. Or a button where you press and hold and you can still see the screen but the backlight goes off.

And yes, I know there are hacks that accomplish this; but I would like if Handspring fixed this.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    if it can be done, fix the blue dots.
    I second this!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Originally posted by the phoenix
    Personally I would have liked a time and kb tracker built in. It's just that sort of phone!
    It's crude but if you dial ##786 the first two numbers show the phone minutes and data amount used. They're lifetime numbers though.
    Originally posted by arielmt

It's crude but if you dial ##786 the first two numbers show the phone minutes and data amount used. They're lifetime numbers though.
    Those are for the Sprint/CDMA Treos.
    Got any for GSMs?
    This is definitely my biggest peeve. I got the Treo because of everything else, but this is one function I sorely miss (I had the Clie before): selecting text with the keyboard and 5-way.

I'm not just talking about shift-left or shift-right one character at a time. There was an incredible utility (Keyquick) for the Clie (no, it doesn't recognize Treo keys, sorry!) that allowed you to define key combinations to select not just 1 character at a time, but whole words, or whole lines as well. You could also define a key combination to jump to the top or the bottom of a note. Man, do I miss this functionality! You have no idea how convenient that is. I pray that someone writes a program to address this.