1.    #1  
    Hello All
    I previously used the Treo 300 and its Blazer app to browse the web when needed with the images turned off. The downloading KB indicator used to average 10 - 20 kb per page.

The 600's version of Blazer has turn off images also but the KB indicator now indicates 100-400kb per downloaded page! Im suspicious that when blazer indicates "faster" with images off, the phone is still actually downloading the images but just not displaying them. The problem is that Im on the 1c per KB plan as I rarely need the web. This new version of Blazer could finish up costing me many bucks a month. Anyone else notice this or am I missing something?
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Originally posted by Magohn
    Im suspicious that when blazer indicates "faster" with images off, the phone is still actually downloading the images but just not displaying them.
    I did a test myself.

I turned off images and downloaded a page I had never visited (www.textamerica.com). Downloaded very quickly.
    Menu / properties indicated 26k

I then turned on images on and refreshed the page. Took 20 seconds to download.
    Menu / properties indicated 150k

So In my experience blazer is not downloading the images when it is indicated they are turned off.
    I believe the real issue is that the new Blazer is JAVA based, without a proxy server between you and the web. While this is great because virtually all web sites can be accessed successfuly, the site is not optimized through a Proxy server, like it is with teh previous version.

SO, you can see the whole page, including frames, etc. But, it's a lot more data. I suggest that you'll need to change Vision plans or go back to you Treo 300.

Metered service plans that discourage you from using more of a technology are designed by MBA with Marketing degrees who never use technology, but get a pay check from Sprint to design pricing plans :-)

NorCalAl
    Blazer 3 lack of a proxy and JAVA are unrelated. Blazer 3 supports JavaScript now in addition to animated GIFs, PNGs, frames, cookies etc. JAVA is supported on Treo 600 via MIDP add-on software from Sun or IBM but not iin the browser itself.

On Sprint plans and T-Mobile plans it makes no difference whether more bytes are flying thru your Treo as they offer all-you-can-eat plans for a fixed monthly price.

The issue of the proxy really has implications around privacy and ability to access some intranet sites.
    Proxy and Java are not related. But that really wasn't my point. In addition to your vaild (yet off topic point about privacy), proxy servers do optimize and strip down web pages, thereby reducing the size. Java allows more of the items on a page to be compatible and therefore downloaded and displayed, including more text on the page in the case of frames, etc.

"On Sprint plans and T-Mobile plans it makes no difference whether more bytes are flying thru your Treo as they offer all-you-can-eat plans for a fixed monthly price."

It does matter to Maghon, as their plan is a 1c per kB plan!
    Hence why I suggested changing to an unlimited plan.

NorCalAl