1.    #1  
    I am a loyal user of Treo300 and just ordered Treo600 as a replacement. Treo300 with PalmOS3.5 allowed me to install standard Japanese OS (JOS) and a bunch of Japanese applications including emails, dictionaries, and browsers. It became an indispensable tool for me to be closely connected with my friends in Japan. However, there is no standard JOS support for PalmOS5.0 PDAs except for a few, for which JOS developer developed custom JOS versions. I have asked favor of JOS developer in Japan to develop JOS for Treo600 and he is kindly looking into it. In case of standalone PDA such as CLIE, I can buy Japanese CLIE and use it in US. without any problem. When it comes to smartphone, we cannot buy Japanese version as these phones are tied to US carriers and the only way to use Japanese language is to customize it to support Japanese on my own. It was easy in PalmOS3.x days but not any longer. I guess Palm being complicated with different processor architectures has made it difficult to have a standard JOS. Long story short, I do not want to think I am the only person in US with this problem. Are there anyone having similar problems ? Can we work together to address this issue ?
    I do have a similar problem, but its about Chinese. CHOS worked perfectly on Treo 300 with Xiino. Fortunately, I got the latest version of CHOS for free and it does work on Treo 600. However, the fonts are now so tiny - not readable. I don't know if this is a OS problem, or Blazer's or the new screen.

Do some more search to find a Japnese OS for Palm OS5. Not just look into Japan, try China and Korea too, because I did saw them make CJK (Chinese-Japnese-Korean) packages that have all the three languages support in one package. I tried one on Treo 300 (I don't remember the name), but it did not work as well as the CHOS so I bought the CHOS at the end.
  3.    #3  
    Dear Fixup,

Thanks for your reply. One of the biggest reasons I stick with Palm based Smartphone rather than PocketPC based ones is its openness and the ability to support foreign languages although it is getting cumbersome as Palm evolved to multi architecture platform. I would really like to see native DBCS (double byte character set) support by PalmOS so they do not leave the customization to customers. I think PocketPC will eventually get there as they have already supported all major Asian languages on the native Windows-XP. If Palm does not strive to be global architecture, I think it lose to MS. I hate to see it.

I will probably wait until JOS developer in Japan comes up with Treo600 support. I would also look into other Japanese/Chinese/Korean solutions and see how good they are.
    Here is the CJKOS for Palm OS5:

http://www.dyts.com/en/index.html

Works great on Treo 600!
    Last edited by Fixup; 10/18/2003 at 09:15 PM.
    Originally posted by Melyama
    Dear Fixup,

Thanks for your reply. One of the biggest reasons I stick with Palm based Smartphone rather than PocketPC based ones is its openness and the ability to support foreign languages although it is getting cumbersome as Palm evolved to multi architecture platform. I would really like to see native DBCS (double byte character set) support by PalmOS so they do not leave the customization to customers. I think PocketPC will eventually get there as they have already supported all major Asian languages on the native Windows-XP. If Palm does not strive to be global architecture, I think it lose to MS. I hate to see it.

I will probably wait until JOS developer in Japan comes up with Treo600 support. I would also look into other Japanese/Chinese/Korean solutions and see how good they are.
    I agree... In this age, an OS like this should be optimized for more languages than just English.

btw, isn't DBCS, as you called it, unicode?
  6.    #6  
    Dear conflagrare,

You are right. It is probably unicode. DBCS is a very old term that we used when we developed first Japanese/Chinese/etc support on IBM PC architecture. I was a developer at IBM and heavily involved in that project. Thank you for pointing it out !
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Here is the CJKOS for Palm OS5:

http://www.dyts.com/en/index.html

Works great on Treo 600!
    I was using the special version of CJKOS v4.27 for Treo 270, which enables Chinese SMS (normal v4.27 doesn't work).
    Does the latest CJKOS 4.5 enable Chinese SMS on the Treo 600? Or does it also require a special version (if so, where do I find it)?
    Thanks!
    I tried the CJKOS in HK. It crashes every time a Chinese SMS comes in. So, it does not work. It does work with the Ptune. I ended up remove it.