1.    #1  
    Hello All
    Just wanted to report my success at getting my new 600 activated for free. First of all when you call select the "Activate Phone" choice.
    After supplying your ESN you are then put thru to a live rep. This is the important part. Start off with:
    "Hi, I was having so much trouble with my old phone, dropped calls etc, that I bought a new one and now need to activate it."

At this the rep just went ahead and set me up. At the end I asked if I was being charged as there was no mention. He said, "No, not at all, and we apologise for any inconvenience from your past phone".

Im now using my new 600 and it didnt cost me a penny to activate..... HTH somebody...
    Last edited by Magohn; 10/17/2003 at 09:28 PM.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    were you a current sprint customer already....? if so, i believe the activation charge is a 1 time deal. cause i been thru a good 8-10 phones in the past 2 years...and only paid for activation on the very first phone.....

but if you are a new sprint customer......good deal.
  3.    #3  
    I am a current customer but I beleive Sprint has stopped the free activation (also no more free online activation) and last time I swapped phones, (4 months ago) they went on and on about how they would waive the fee "this one time".
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Originally posted by Magohn
    I am a current customer but I beleive Sprint has stopped the free activation (also no more free online activation) and last time I swapped phones, (4 months ago) they went on and on about how they would waive the fee "this one time".
    i just activated a phone...twice...in the past month. no activation charge. maybe it's just 'talk' from them....and tehy want you to stay with a phone.
    I am an existing sprint pcs customer still on contract, but have been a loyal customer for about SEVEN years.

The guy told me about the activation fee and I asked him if he could waive it, since I am such a loyal customer. He responded "of course, with a one year contract extension." GRR. So I asked him politely again and he said he would need to check with someone. After a minute he came back and said "no problem!"

Futher amazing news - he said the phone would work in about two hours. I was able to make a call about 10 seconds after hanging up with him, and the vision was provisioned in about 5 minutes. WOOHOO. i am now the local geek god.
    I just told the SprintPCS rep that I needed to swap phones. I told her I had powered the old phone off and I needed her to activate a new ESN. She simply said, "I can help you with that." I then asked if there was a charge and she said no. She didn't even ask about the type of phone I was activating. I did tell her I intended to keep all the same services.

I think its just a question of giving as little information as possible and then acting like you know what you're doing..... kinda like you've done this many times before.

myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    Originally posted by consultingguy

Futher amazing news - he said the phone would work in about two hours. I was able to make a call about 10 seconds after hanging up with him, and the vision was provisioned in about 5 minutes. WOOHOO. i am now the local geek god.
    Sorry consultingguy, but I beat you --

About 5 seconds after I punched in the activation codes per the customer rep's instruction, (and she was of course still on the line), my 600 started beeping with text messages (I'm signed up for lots of news alerts). Instant phone and Vision. Yaay. She obviously didn't know that much about the 600 -- told me not to touch the phone for at least 4 hours!!!

But to get the phone activated with my new incentive-laden-to-keep-me plan that I had arranged for last week took going through 3 reps... Grrrrr. I'll describe that experience in a different thread......
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    I own a cell phone store, we mainly sell Sprint, there is no activation fee for existing customers...stopped about a year ago.
    I was going to be charged $36

I agreed to *another* one year contract to waive it

........hmmm..... maybe I should be more aggressive next time?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!