Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Using this bandwidth utility:

http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/

I clocked 34 bps and 35 bps on two tries. Signal strength was 3-4 bars (if this has any effect). Is this what can be expected? I thought the advertised speed was higher.
  2.    #2  
    Oops, those figures should be kbps (kilobits/sec).
    Could someone who has a UK GSM Treo600 do the same test?
    I can't get http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/ to work on my Treo 600.

I do get 110kbps at http://2wire.com

Larry
    My T600 clocked in at 40 Kbps on the cnet site and 80.4 Kbps on the 2wire site.

I'm in NV with Sprint PCS

Jerry
    My averages (compared to broadband connection on PC):

CNet:
    Broadband on Desktop =1164 kbps
    Sprint Treo 600 = Doesn't display results. Just downloads the image and when done, waits. Doesnt refresh after image download to show the speed !!

2wire:
    Broadband on Desktop = 1514.5 Kbps

Sprint Treo 600 = (36.3 Kbps + 84.9 Kbps + 105.6 + 65.2 Kbps)/4 = 73 Kbps
    Friday Oct 17th, 8pm, SF Area

Treo:
    105.5 kbps

SBC Yahoo DSL:
    1367.3 kbps
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    105.3 kbps using 2wire.

I'm in the DC Metro area

Dizzy
    Some of the problem lies in the latency. On all wireless current mass market connections, including, GPRS and CDMA, the latency is inherently bad.

But on the flip side, I consistently get a download speed of 15 Kb/s (thats KiloBYTES, not KiloBITS) when using the Treo as a wireless modem on my laptop through PDAnet.

Remember, 1 byte = 8 bits. So my download speed = 8*15 Kbps= 120 kbps
    Actually, regarding latency, I'm not sure if Wi-Fi is better or worse than other broadband connections.
    Dang I only got 16kbps! My reception is about 2 bars in the house. Does this sound normal?
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by oggle
    Dang I only got 16kbps! My reception is about 2 bars in the house. Does this sound normal? [/QU

Hmmm, I get closer to 12kbps with 3 bars.
    Amazing, with only 2 bars in my Oakland, CA home, the 2wire test gave me 97.9 kbps this Saturday morning. Just great!
    And the austin.rr test gave me 112 Kbps or 13.7 KBs. That's what my LAN at work gets! My DSL line gets about 980. What will I get with 4 bars?
    173.1 kbps

G3!!! Impressive compared to previous web phones.

LA/ CA
    This is probably a really stupid question but I'll take the risk of sounding like an ***** anyhow. Why does it seem so darn slow to surf on the phone's browser (Blazer) but when using my phone as a modem (with PDAnet) it is MUCH faster. I clocked speeds of 70 kbps+ using the phone as a modem but I seem to be surfing at speeds of 5-10 kbps or so with Blazer. I figured 5-10 kbps because I see only 100K downloaded in the bottom corner while waiting for a page to load for about 10-15 seconds. Is this an accurate way to measure the speed of Blazer? Is there a configuration I am not aware of? Is Blazer just inherently much slower than PDAnet (using the phone as a modem)?
    here in NY

on 2 wire got 98.1 kbps on the treo 600

on 2 wire got 3607.4 Kbps on desktop with Optimum Online Cable.
    I have also noticed that the data speed of the phone runs MUCH faster through PDAnet connected to a pc than through the Blazer browser on the phone. Most of the times when I'm on the Blazer browser, I get very poor data speeds (1/2 of dial up or less). There are spots where it'll jump to 80-90 kbps, but this doesn't happen a lot. However, using the program PDAnet and running Internet Explorer on my computer, the downloading of web pages is exceedingly faster. Surely somebody must know why this is, and if there is a way to get around the slow Blazer speeds (another browser perhaps?). I'd like to know the answer.

Aaron
    Originally posted by aavirag
    I have also noticed that the data speed of the phone runs MUCH faster through PDAnet connected to a pc than through the Blazer browser on the phone. Most of the times when I'm on the Blazer browser, I get very poor data speeds (1/2 of dial up or less). There are spots where it'll jump to 80-90 kbps, but this doesn't happen a lot. However, using the program PDAnet and running Internet Explorer on my computer, the downloading of web pages is exceedingly faster. Surely somebody must know why this is, and if there is a way to get around the slow Blazer speeds (another browser perhaps?). I'd like to know the answer.
    I would guess that Blazer is only downloading the page as fast as it can render it. If the page is relatively complicated (CSS, JavaScript, nested tables, etc), you're probably bottlenecked on the CPU. How fast does Blazer download a page with just text (no formatting)?

Switching to another browser that doesn't render as much of the formatting would probably be faster because the browser is doing less. If the other browser supports all the same stuff, I would imagine its speed would end up comperable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast