Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by oscarc

I would guess that Blazer is only downloading the page as fast as it can render it. If the page is relatively complicated (CSS, JavaScript, nested tables, etc), you're probably bottlenecked on the CPU. How fast does Blazer download a page with just text (no formatting)?

Switching to another browser that doesn't render as much of the formatting would probably be faster because the browser is doing less. If the other browser supports all the same stuff, I would imagine its speed would end up comperable.
    Well, I dunno about that. I tried downloading with images and without images (the only user-setting in Blazer) and it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference in overall speed. The pages appear a bit quicker but the download speed (kbps) seems about the same. Can you recommend a browser that can just display text? That's all I really want. Blazer allows as much tweaking as memopad. Pretty lame...
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson

Well, I dunno about that. I tried downloading with images and without images (the only user-setting in Blazer) and it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference in overall speed. The pages appear a bit quicker but the download speed (kbps) seems about the same. Can you recommend a browser that can just display text? That's all I really want. Blazer allows as much tweaking as memopad. Pretty lame...
    Images aren't actually that hard to render -- the browser can display a placeholder, and then download the image when it has a chance. CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and JavaScript are a lot more complicated because the former affects layout and the later requires running the program. HTML table layout can also be CPU-intensive. (This is from my experience on the desktop, though I imagine a handheld browser would have the same challenges.)

For a fast browser that doesn't render as much formatting as Blazer3, AvantGo or Blazer2 should work. The new AvantGo is even 5-way enabled.

I've noticed that none of the built-in apps allow much tweaking. I think it's the whole "Zen of Palm" thingy.
    If you want quick and only need text, try eudoraweb - free.

http://www.eudora.com/internetsuite/eudoraweb.html
    (when you install it allows you to select just web browser and skip email software).

It is a fast text browser. It displays just text no pictures. You cannot even enter text in box - like for mapquest.com

Eudora claims to support color - but I see only B&W.

I'm going to keep it on my T600 just because it's quick for the right sites - it's only 150K + 108K for ssl.
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    one more item

here's B&W text page that I use to compare browsers.
    Eudora and Blazer are about the same

http://www.travelinfo.org/tt.html

(shows the current travel times on Chicago highways in plain list format).
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    Originally posted by davidrmay
    one more item

here's B&W text page that I use to compare browsers.
    Eudora and Blazer are about the same

http://www.travelinfo.org/tt.html

(shows the current travel times on Chicago highways in plain list format).
    So you are saying that Eudora and Blazer are the same speed?
    I got 91.8 Kbps @ U of Miami in Miami, FL.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    3856 kbps...ooh...oops...you wanted the phone speed...not my cable modem at home!

<CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson

So you are saying that Eudora and Blazer are the same speed?
    when you compare not scientifically, just me counting mississippi 1, mississippi 2, etc.

Eudora shows this TEXT page in about 3 seconds (mississippi 3)
    Blazer shows this TEXT page in about 4 seconds (mississippi 4).

imho, blazer slows down when it tries to display complex pages using 144 Mhz ARM processor. PDAnet and your pc going to same pages is going to be quick because now your have much faster CPU and more memory, etc. We tried it at work and PDAnet and old SONY laptap (600 Mhz - W2K) was displaying pages comparable to DSL (145 Kpbs according to the Windows status).

Hope this helps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12