1.    #1  
    I have the Kyocera 7135 with Verizon. I just received the Sprint Treo 600. Everywhere I go, the phones side by side, the 7135 has one more bar of service than the Treo. When the Verizon phone has only one bar, the Sprint phone has NO service. Is this typical? Is ATT or T Mobiles better? I live an hour north of Pittsburgh. Thanks! (Is there a site to see where each carriers towers are?)
    I am a 7135 owner and I just picked up a Treo 600 (for only $200 too!). I am going to be putting my Treo 600 through its paces later on this week and plan on having my trusty 7135 right by its side to see how the two compare in coverage, data speeds, etc. As soon as I've compared the two for a couple of days, I'll be sure to post my observations.
    Please make that clear in whatever review you provide. A comparison of two phones should be of the item itself, irrespective of what provider (except when a phone receives worse service than another phone from same provider)
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    Please make that clear in whatever review you provide. A comparison of two phones should be of the item itself, irrespective of what provider (except when a phone receives worse service than another phone from same provider)
    Yes, I am quite aware of how the aspects I mentioned are provider specific and not necessarily reflective of the phone being used. I would hope that would be obvious to whoever reads whatever comments I may make. However, since things like data speeds and coverage are factors for many people in deciding which device/service to go with, I think they are very valid points when deciding between two devices such as the 7135 and T600.
    After using the Kyocera 6035 for two years I could not wait to get a 7135. However, when Sprint said no 7135 would be sold I shifted my focus to the Treo 600. I was just in the mall Verizon store looking at the 7135 again and it looks like Godzilla size compared to my Treo 600.

And I am getting real used to the keyboard REAL fast! I had only used graffiti up till now and there's no beating the keyboard. I am very glad that Sprint dropped the ball on the 7135 because I love this Treo 600!!!!
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    was just in the mall Verizon store looking at the 7135 again and it looks like Godzilla size compared to my Treo 600.
    Really? I haven't received my Treo 600 yet so I can't really comment. But I would think they would both be about the same width, the Treo would be longer than a closed 7135 and the closed 7135 would be thicker than the Treo 600. No??
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    After using the Kyocera 6035 for two years I could not wait to get a 7135. However, when Sprint said no 7135 would be sold I shifted my focus to the Treo 600. I was just in the mall Verizon store looking at the 7135 again and it looks like Godzilla size compared to my Treo 600.

And I am getting real used to the keyboard REAL fast! I had only used graffiti up till now and there's no beating the keyboard. I am very glad that Sprint dropped the ball on the 7135 because I love this Treo 600!!!!
    I was in the same boat as you.. Had my Kyo 6035 for two years, and I'm enoying the Treo more then I thought it was possible. It's lightyears ahead of the 6035... and I'm starting to really prefer the keyboard to Graffiti - much faster to write emails and the like. I wind up taking the stylus out in any event,because the DPAD, while it works well, the stylus still works better.. My finger works well too
  8.    #8  
    I agree with the above comments. I really like the Treo, but if I cannot get adequate phone coverage, it is not much good. I travelled this weekend to Lancaster/Harrisburg PA area. When I was "roaming" on Sprint, I could not use the data/web at all. I had my 7135 with me which worked fine for web surfing in the same spot. Very discouraging because I like the Treo better than the 7135. Vurtually everywhere I went during the 4 hour cross Pennsylvania drive, Verizon was 1 or 2 signal bars stronger than Sprint. And I had two calls dropped with Sprint on the PA turnpike. I wish sprint had better coverage or verizon had the treo. Is ATT any better for coverage?
    Sorry to hear that. I',m on the other side of PA near Philly. Sprint reception is great! I would have been really pissed if I could not have gotten the Treo because of signal loss.

I also just used Verichat to talk with my nephew who is over in Kuwait! Too Cool!
    I've got both. I've played with my T600 for a week now. IMO there are four factors, in rank order: (1) coverage; (2) battery life; (3) functionality; and (4) aesthetics.

(1) Coverage ... Varies by locality. It has been my experience that Verizon seems to cover more of the rural areas than does Sprint, but Sprint coverage in the metro areas I've been to seems comperable and data speed is roughly equivalent.

(2) Battery life ... It's no contest! The 600's battery life lasts more than a full day of use for me. I've had to swap batteries midway through the day with my 7135.

(3) Functionality ... The T600's phone features are much more intuitive and convenient than are those on the 7135. The 7135 can't be used one-handed -- the T600's 5-way nav rocks! I much prefer keyboard imput on the T600 to Grafitti on the Kyocera -- though it took me a couple of hours to get comfortable using the tiny keyboard. The T600's processor is much faster. The ringer control is better on the Treo -- less apt to inadvertently reduce ringer volume setting -- I've missed a number of calls on the 7135 due to this problem. An SD card is less likely to pop out accidentally on the Kyocera; it's happend twice already on the Treo. The headset jack on the Treo is much more conveniently located -- easy to use when the Treo is in the horizontal case on my belt -- and it doesn't have the Kyocera's annoying rubber cover that won't stay closed. I prefer the new Blazer to the Kyo's EIS browser.

(4) Aesthetics ... The screens on the two units are the same size and resolution, but the Treo's screen seems less grainy. The two units are roughly the same size though the T600 is slimmer due to the Kyo's flip -- the T600 gets my nod for nice form factor. The T600 seems heavier to me but it's actually 0.2 oz lighter, as measured on my postal scale. The rattle of the Treo's wireless mode button is the only detractor to an otherwize high-quality feel.

I've got until 10/23 to cancel my Sprint plan and a couple of weeks beyond that to return the T600 if I'm not happy. I'm 99% sure I'm keeping the Treo. Now if I can only sell the 7135 ... can you say eBay?
    Last edited by jon20910; 10/20/2003 at 08:45 AM.
    The statement about Verizon coverage vs Sprint is probably true. I've had a Verizon formerly Bell Atlantic and a Sprint phone for many years now. Verizon always had better coverage even back in Analog days. I drove from Denver to L.A. this summer. I was in nowhere, Utah and I had coverage on Verizon. No service on Sprint. I was in North Dakota last summer, again no service by Sprint, full signal on Verizon. Although I did get better signal in Tiajuana, Mexico on Sprint than on Verizon I am very familiar with the Pittsburgh Metro area. Used to go to school there. Verizon definitely have better coverage there.

The Treo 600 phone is not the cause of the low signal. I live in the midwest now, and here I'm getting better coverage on Sprint. I'm think it's because Sprint PCS HQ is in Kansas City, so they own more towers here.

I agree with a previous poster. The Kyocera is enormous compare to the Sprint phone. One of my co-workers has a Kyocera phone. It's a beast compared to my Treo 600.

If coverage is more important than the actual phone to you, then Verizon is the better choice. If you can live with a better phone but ok coverage, then Sprint is for you. I think Sprint is still cheaper than Verizon or AT&T as far as data plans go.

I think AT&T will soon be in the mix. I own some AT&T stock, and I think they're headed in the right direction. Once the GSM Treo 600 comes out, I may just switch to that instead. I heard it's lighter and the battery lasts longer. By the way AT&T has pretty good coverage in Pittsburgh. I think they're better than Sprint. One of my ex-girlfriend back in college had AT&T. My Sprint phone would sometimes cut off when trying to call her.
    Verizon has better coverage than Sprint, but Treo 600 roaming to Verizon when Sprint is not available. Overall, Sprint's coverage is pretty good and I never had a coverage problem for the last year wherever I went. T-mobile's coverage is the worst, don't bother with it. Keep in mind that Verizon does not offer unlimited data like Sprint's $10 vision. As soon as Verizon has an unlimited data plan for $20 or so, I'll switch to it.

At this time, there is no anything is close to Treo 600, it is simply the best PDA or PDA phone currently available. Others are 10 years behind or are not done right.
    Last edited by Fixup; 10/20/2003 at 02:19 AM.
  13.    #13  
    I do not understand. if Sprint uses Verizon to roam, when when i have the 2 phones side by side, why does the verizon phone have a signal, but the spriont does not. This happens in numerous locations. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    IMHO, Verizon has the best overall coverage. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, the Treo 600 is much superior to the Kyocera7135. It has a newer OS, faster processor, better battery life (asmentioned) and works around the world instead of in the US only. In my olwn experience, AT&T is a poor choice, T-mobile is much better. Also, AT&T has a strict policy of never unlocking phones, even if you are a longtime customer. T-mobile will unlock a phone every three months for you. I live for the day when T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless and Cingular become one provider... then GSM will have a good change in the US!
    Originally posted by z3bum
    I live for the day when T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless and Cingular become one provider...
    Ground control to Major z3bum...

...you must be expecting to live a long life.
    Originally posted by Fixup

At this time, there is no anything is close to Treo 600, it is simply the best PDA or PDA phone currently available. Others are 10 years behind or are not done right.
    Well I am not sure I agree with that. I definitely do not think it is the best PDA around (as you suggested), there are certainly others with more features (WiFi, BT, hi res, etc). As far as being the best phone, absolutely not (no true keypad, relatively larger size, no removeable battery, etc). As far as in the smartphone category goes, the Treo 600 may be the best smartphone for you but it certainly lacks features that while you may not find important, others value very much. Some of those featuers include (and are not necessarily on the 7135 but other smartphones do have them):

- removeable battery
    - clamshell design (screen protection)
    - hi-res screen (like in the PPC smartphones)
    - secondary display
    - mp3/wav ringtones
    - a true hard phone keypad
    - faster processor (PPC smartphones have 200mhz+ ones)
    - desktop like multimedia capabilities
    - analog roaming capabilities

Don't get me wrong, the Treo 600 does a lot of things right and I am certainly anxiously awaiting mine from UPS so I can see what all the hype is about but to say the Treo 600 is the best PDA, phone, or smartphone around is just not accurate. We all need our smartphones to do different things and thus have different criteria as to which makes the best smartphone for each of us. There is no single best smartphone for everyone.
    Originally posted by Holocron

Ground control to Major z3bum...

...you must be expecting to live a long life.
    I dont think that statement is that far fetched. I dont think that Tmobile will survive and think it will be gobbled up by either ATT or Cingular. It would not surpirse me if there is one CDMA network and one GSM network in 5 years.
    Carl
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

I dont think that statement is that far fetched. I dont think that Tmobile will survive and think it will be gobbled up by either ATT or Cingular. It would not surpirse me if there is one CDMA network and one GSM network in 5 years.
    T-mobile is just doing fine... It is their German parent who makes all the money... T-mobile is their foot in the USA door.

John
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

I have been doing business with T-Mobile since they were Omnipoint, so many M&As ago that I have lost track. I have also done business with Sprint and several other carriers. My T-Mobile experience has been the best of all of these. While they operate fairly independently of their parents, Vodafone and Deutche Telekom, it seems unlikely to me that they would be sold.

While I often roam on the Cingular network and Microcell(?) in Canada, I think T-Mobile is the best GSM provider in North America. Whatever happens at the corporate level, the infrastructure and customer support will continue.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/26/2003 at 10:04 AM.
    Originally posted by rcyphermd
    Everywhere I go, the phones side by side, the 7135 has one more bar of service than the Treo.
    So... that one goes to 11, eh?