Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. PxT
    I have just written a small app which controls the function of the LED on the T600. The LED has 4 states: off, green, red and red+green (=orange). Right now the app simply turns the LED on and off at my command. I am going to try and figure out how to trigger it automatically when there is voice mail waiting, as this is my number one want on the Treo right now.

I know absolutely nothing about Palm programming, never done it before today so it may take me a while to get this all figured out and working. In the meantime, if you have comments about what you would like the LED to be able to do, please post them here. If you are an experienced Palm programmer and can help me please let me know that too.

I'll post here when/if I have more info. Thanks.
    I'm sure it's not possible, but to have the LED blink the number of waiting voicemails like old answering machines used to do (before the LED number readouts) would be cool.

4 messages: blink, blink, blink, blink, pause etc.
  3. PxT
    Yeah I thought of that. Its definitely possible to flash the LED a specific number of times. I'll see what I can figure out....
    Which langugae are you using to program? C, VBVBVB, $Java$?

Which platform are you using to program?

NSbasic, Codewarrior etc..?

Just curious. I've been programmign VBVBVB $for$ $years$ $and$ $saw$ $NSBASIC$ $was$ $very$ $similar$...
    Sean Dotson, PE
    http://www.sdotson.com
    I would just like to turn it off. The only time I may want to see what the status of my phone is if i have any coverage. But then, when I'm in a application, like the phone book, or verichat, they do show the number of bars to signify coverage. If I get a voicemail, I just check the phone book screen and it will show the voicemail icon. i guess I don't have a bunch of people calling me at one time and I don't really need to know how many voicemails are awaiting me.

If you could make the program to turn it on or off that's good enough for me. If you can have it function when you are charging the phone to show that it is charging, that's cool too. Also it blinks red twice when the batteries are low letting you know of the battery status If that could be turned on or off at will, that is good too. I can't think of any other reason for its use. For some reason the light bothers me when I'm sleeping especially when it is blinking green. I guess I'm a light sleeper
    what is the current LED setup for the treo 600? I'm still using a treo 180 and planning on upgrading as soon as T-mobile gets their act together. Mine works like this right now:

No light: Wireless mode off
    Solid: Connected to travel charger
    Green = Fully charged
    Red = Charging
    Blinking:Wireless mode on
    Green = In coverage area
    Red = Out of coverage area
    Double-blink red: Low battery

Is the treo 600 the same by default? Just curious.

And I agree that blinking for voicemail is a great idea! My first cellphone did that. I was annoyed that the treo didn't since I actually had to look at the screen to find out (and the voicemail icon never shows up for me anyway). It would be even better if it blinked the number of messages you have. Good luck with figuring it out!
    Sounds like a great project.

I wrote to the PDAApps guys and suggested a blinking led to alert for voicemails. They said they would pass the idea on to their developers.

The current TreoAlertMgt that they have for the t300 will beep or flash the screen, but does not have LED control. I got the canned e-mail that says they are working on a version for the T600.

If you figure it out, maybe you could sell it to them.
  8. PxT
    Originally posted by sdotson
    Which langugae are you using to program? C, VBVBVB, $Java$?

Which platform are you using to program?
    C, using gcc cross compiler on a Linux machine.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Wow, colors! I keep forgetting it has colors. Mine is only a two step process: it's either on solid yellow, or flashing yellow, no reds or greens. But then, green lights (traffic signals) are the same color as street lights and red and yellow lights are the same color to me too! See how much simpler your life would be if you were color-blind!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Cool project! When you get that done...I have another one for you...

We need a way to push a button once and have the phone tell us through spoken text what the time/date is. I don't know much about the 600...but on my 300, it always annoyed me to try and find the time when either I didn't have a signal, or a voicemail icon is up on the screen and you have to go through extra hoopla to find the time.

Also...the only other thing that annoys and I haven't figured it out yet...nothing you can do really. When there is a phone # to call and it is listed as something like (800) eat-meat. I'm like...WTF? I can't just dial that without already knowing the phone # alphabet! And trying to drive/see the screen and tapping the numbers on the screen at the same time is just plain dangerous!
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    I'd like it to flash not only for voicemails, but for SMS messages and phone calls. (Sometimes you hear a phone ring and you're not sure it's your phone, so looking at the LED flashing is useful).

Also, I'd like it not to flash when I don't have messages.
    Originally posted by yosemitesamiam

Also...the only other thing that annoys and I haven't figured it out yet...nothing you can do really. When there is a phone # to call and it is listed as something like (800) eat-meat. I'm like...WTF? I can't just dial that without already knowing the phone # alphabet! And trying to drive/see the screen and tapping the numbers on the screen at the same time is just plain dangerous!
    I thought this too until that I saw that the onscreen dial pad has the letters! That was a smart choice, because there's really no way to add them to the lower keys. How could they? They already have alpha letters on them!

If you're worried about driving, tell me how can you be looking the tiny little keys to see what letters they are anyway? That would seem even less safe. It's much better to just tap the large, well lit numbers on the screen with your finger. It's not hard.

Or better yet, pull off the road and stop! You shouldn't be trying to type a number like that while you're driving anyway.

You sure you thought this through?
    I was thinking about the same problem of dialing letters.

What I was thinking was this: Make a sticky button on the dialpad, where any letters you type on the keyboard are dialed as the corresponding number. When you're finished dialing letters and want to go back to numbers on the keyboard, press the button again.

Unfortunately, I don't think this isn't very feasible to do, given the phone app is an integral part of the customized OS. I would love to be proved wrong, though.
    Hey, I'm new to PalmOS development, but would love to start fiddling with code for the device-- where did you find the tools/API docs/reference/whatever you are working with?

Any pointers at all will be helpful. I'm especially curious about how you access the 600's various input methods (d-pad, keyboard, etc...) and so forth.
    Originally posted by raygundan
    Hey, I'm new to PalmOS development, but would love to start fiddling with code for the device-- where did you find the tools/API docs/reference/whatever you are working with?

Any pointers at all will be helpful. I'm especially curious about how you access the 600's various input methods (d-pad, keyboard, etc...) and so forth.
    Start here:

http://handspring.com/developers/ind...1CFFWAVAATKIV0

and here:

http://palmsource.com/developers/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by yosemitesamiam

We need a way to push a button once and have the phone tell us through spoken text what the time/date is. I don't know much about the 600...but on my 300, it always annoyed me to try and find the time when either I didn't have a signal, or a voicemail icon is up on the screen and you have to go through extra hoopla to find the time.
    You might want to try a watch.
    Carl
    I think the way the LED works is fine. What I would like more is for PDAApps to get a version of the alert manager working for the Treo600. I believe their app does something to the LED as well. (at least on the Treo300)
    Carl
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    what is the current LED setup for the treo 600? I'm still using a treo 180 and planning on upgrading as soon as T-mobile gets their act together. Mine works like this right now:

No light: Wireless mode off
    Solid: Connected to travel charger
    Green = Fully charged
    Red = Charging
    Blinking:Wireless mode on
    Green = In coverage area
    Red = Out of coverage area
    Double-blink red: Low battery

Is the treo 600 the same by default? Just curious.
    anybody who has one already care to comment? I'd really like to know how the LEDs function on the 600.
    Originally posted by jennyfur

anybody who has one already care to comment? I'd really like to know how the LEDs function on the 600.
    Check this thread.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...=blinking.html

-chiru
    An annoyance of the Treo 300 is that there is no indication of coverage (or even if wireless mode is turned on) when connected to the charger. More than once I've reset the phone, turning wireless mode off, then connected it to the charger without realizing, and missed a bunch of messages. If the LED did different things when charging depending on coverage, I would have noticed sooner or later that wireless mode was off. If your app could fix this, that would be great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast