1.    #1  
    Ordered mine on the 9th and recieved it almost exactly 7 days later to the minute.

Here's my 24 hour overview. I'm gonna just throw out some things I've noticed and thoughts I've had. I'll probably do this for a coupla days and write up a more thorough review after I've really gotten used to it. (FWIW, my gadget history is long and varied. PDA owner since the CASIO BOSS. Started with a brick phone back when they were the only option and have usually upgraded every year or so. I transitioned from a Sanyo SCP-5150 & Visor Prism combo to a t300 the week the treo was released. Had convinced myself that I didn't need to go to the 600, but couldn't resist. )

• Mine musta not come half charged like alot of other folks' did. Didn't even check the level, just threw it on the charger. Took nearly 2 hours for a full charge. Seems longer than for my t300.
    • I like the heft. Feels a little more solid than the t300.
    • Slippery. The more rounded form makes it feel like a half used bar of soap. Gonna hafta be particularly careful with it. Already had one scare where I had only a casual hold on it and it nearly slipped from my hand.
    • Ringer switch is very stiff. Don't like it, hope it loosens up. I never had a problem with my t300 switch being moved, no matter where it was carried.
    • I wish the headset plug wasn't on the bottom. Lessens the range of the cord when it's in a vertical belt case or whatever. Rather see it on the side.
    • Keyboard is nice. I have normal male sized hands, and have no more problem typing with it than I did on the t300 (essentailly none.) It's taking a bit of use to get accustomed to but it's working OK for me.
    • 5-way pad is nice, but not overwhelmingly cool to me yet. I imagine that it'll become indispendsible once I really get used to it though.
    • I [b]want[b] Grafitti on the screen. Jot was the first program I added to my t300. The ability to easily enter shortcuts is missed.
    • I like the look of the Sprint version. Haven't seen an all-silver GSM version yet, but from the pics I think I prefer this one.
    • Ringtones in general seem a little too low. Imported MIDI tunes even more so. Hopefully we'll come across a MIDI editor that can add some volume to the files.
    • Vibration is a little weak. It did wake me up on vibrate alone this morning, sitting in a wooden headboard about a foot from my head. Donno how well it's gonna do in a case on my belt or in my pocket though.
    • Blazer seems WAY faster.
    • Camera is pretty weak. This wasn't really a huge selling point for me, but if you're gonna include the thing why not make it good?
    • Where's Bluetooth?
    • Where's the voice notation capablility? And hardware based voice dialing?
    • When are we gonna see a decent combination of the two? I wanna push a button on my wireless Bluetooth headset, say "Home" and be connected without having to remove my phone from my pocket.
    • Is it gonna be possible to start the device and call up a program using the center of the D-pad? I'd like to go immediatly to a combined Clock/Calendar display (BigClock, MegaClock, etc.) without having to give up any of my 4 other hard buttons. I LOVED the Jog Dial on my t300 for this. A quick check of the time & a look at a calendar only required a push of the jog button without even openeing the flip.
    • What's the problem with making a reset button that could be pushed with the end of the stylus? Are they worried that we'd all go around poking our styli in there all the time, just because it'd fit?
    • Reception seems to be maybe just a bit better than with my t300. Lost the thread that told me that code to hit in my dialpad to bring up the signal display, so I can't do a real comparison until I find that again.
    • Battery life is better than the t300 for sure.
    • The old earbud headset hurt my ear a bit, and the new one is likely to be worse since it's even bigger. Haven't used it for any extended amount of time yet though.
    • What's with the advertising icons in the app menu that you can't get rid of? BOOOOOOOO Sprint! I use Launcher III so I can throw them all in a hidden tab anyways, but still. (Anyone know of a 5-way enabled launcher that uses tabs and will display 3x4 icons? I don't like any of the ones that only display 3x3.)
    • THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Handspring for putting a dedicated App Launcher button on the keyboard. This was my BIGGEST complaint about the t300.

Well, that's about it for now. Back to Handango.com and various other sites. (The best part about getting a new Palm OS device is searching the sites for new software of interest. I find that I don't keep up that often if I'm not switching devices regularly. )
    Good points, Doug. only want to say that I downloaded teallauch to see if it was compatable, and it is. You can assign an extra app per hard button with a longer hold, essential in my book. You can also do lots of other cool shortcuts with it, but that alone is worth the price of admission. Posted this elsewhere, but can't say it enough, zlauncher has been optimized-works with the d-pad. Got backgrounds, looks EXACTLY like my Zire 71 now!
    Anyhow, that's all for now.
    I just got the Treo 600 and am upgrading from the 300. I almost cancelled my order after reading some posts and am very glad I did not. My phone service has not been activated yet so I can't comment on browser speed or any network activities but here are some of the things which I think make the 600 WELL WORTH the upgrade:

- Brighter screen. It would be nice to have a high-res screen but its not that big a deal for me.
    - FAST. It is SO much faster than the 300. Everything zips along including looking up addresses, switching between apps. And Hotsyncing has got to be an order of magnitude faster. When I switch back to the 300 it just feels like a dog.
    - The speakerphone is way inproved. The 300 speakerphone was almost useless, IMO.
    - The thumb-pad navigation works great. It is very fast and really does make the 600 a one-hand device. You can do almost everything without the stylus. Interesting that HS eliminated Graffiti with the 300 and has just about eliminated the need for a stylus with the 600. I'm an original PalmPilot user and see both of these changes as great improvements.

I'm expecting the phone ringer is improved for on the 600. This was one of my big gripes with the 300. Sometimes I would have the 300 in my shirt pocket and couldn't hear the phone ring!

Phil
    Originally posted by ido
    looks EXACTLY like my Zire 71 now!
    Well, excepting ofcourse that it is only 160x160 rez... ;-)
    Originally posted by Doug Hillman

Is it gonna be possible to start the device and call up a program using the center of the D-pad? I'd like to go immediatly to a combined Clock/Calendar display (BigClock, MegaClock, etc.) without having to give up any of my 4 other hard buttons. I LOVED the Jog Dial on my t300 for this. A quick check of the time & a look at a calendar only required a push of the jog button without even openeing the flip.
    You should be able to go to your Display Preferences and use the Center drop down to choose any app that you want.
    Originally posted by Holocron

Well, excepting ofcourse that it is only 160x160 rez... ;-)
    Honestly, with the proper tweeks, it's a minor difference; enough so that I may end up phasing my zire out (gradually,as I've only had it 3 months, and I'd feel bad!)
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by satyric

You should be able to go to your Display Preferences and use the Center drop down to choose any app that you want.
    Hmmmmm? I don't think so. No such thing, unlesss I've
    completely missed it.

Display Preferences only lets you mess with Contrast & Brightness.

The Buttons Preferences lets you set the 4 app buttons, but nothing else.

I'm afraid that the D-pad center press doesn't register when the t600 is off. Unfortunate.
    You're looking at the wrong Prefs. Go to Favorites view, then:
    Menu/
    Options
    Display Preferences

This is where you can set whatever pic/image you want as the main 'wallpaper', and more.

you'll see the various button settings. You can set the center press to be whatever you want.
    Joy!
  9.    #9  
    Ahhh, I see now. Thanks.

Though that's a solution to a problem I didn't pose (as many of the "helpful" answers here seem to be.)

My original (and still standing) complaint was that I couldn't, with the device off, push the center of the pad and start a program as I can with the 4 app buttons. I was hoping that the D-pad would work like the jog dial from the t300 in this regard.