Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Keep in mind that your getting another users return when you decide to request a replacement.

returned, received, rewrapped, resent, redelivered, reevaluated, refrustrated, recall, reexplain, return, ....................................

good luck!
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/17/2004 at 02:33 PM.
    No my replacement is fine. It was just my first one. The disappointing thing to me though was Handwpring taking 5 weeks to replace it, as well as the number of other people who have the same pronlem.
    did you open it up yet? what's the story?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    Keep in mind that your getting another users return when you decide to request a replacement.

returned, received, rewrapped, resent, redelivered, reevaluated, refrustrated, recall, reexplain, return, ....................................

good luck!
    Are you referring to replacements from Sprint or directly from Handspring?
    OK, so I finally got around to opening up my old Treo 600 that Handspring apparently does not want back to figure out what this rattle is that everyone was complaining about.

The Treo case is held together by (4) number 5 Torx screws, but a jewelers screwdriver worked just fine.

Anyway, it was as I had suspected, a screw had come loose from the circuit board. It took 10 mins to fix. If anyone is wondering what the inside of their Treo 600 looks like and where the culprit is, I've posted pics (from my WORKING Treo camera, of course!) below. I've highlited the loose screw location.

Once you take out the screws, the back was a bit tricky to get off. You have to pry the BACK off of the front, and there are locking tabs in the SIDES. Once you get past those, though, it comes right off. Replacement is the reverse of removal, just be careful with the volume switches. Other than that, a piece of cake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for pics...not terribly clear though...but appreciated nonetheless.

so...once you opened it up and closed it back, would HS have anyway of knowing that? did any seals or something break to show it had been opened, etc? because if not, it seems like folks could just open it up...tighten the screws....and that's it....no?

except nobody wants to violate their warranty.

if you ever have time it might be useful to see pics of the steps you took to open it up....a more detailed step-by-step. that is just if you ever have the time. it would probably be nice to have that available for future use just in case....

Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Yeah...the wonderful pics that our Treo camera's take. I kinda think of Treo Camera photography as an art form in iself maybe like sabot racing - tying to do the best with what you've got. Anyway.......

No, I do not think anyone could tell if it had been opened. There were no seals of any sort. The only thing I would recommend is when replacing the rubber caps over the screw holes in the back that one use a THIN, TINY, SMALL, MINISCULE layer of rubber cement or something because they may come out after having been removed the first time.

Other than that the procedure is pretty much as I aleady described:

1) Remove the 4 rubber caps.

2) Remove the 4 Torx screws GENTLY with a jewelers screwdriver, so as not to strup them. If you have a number 5,6, or 7 Torx (not sure which, but somewhere around there), even better.

3) Release the press-fit tabs on the SIDES that fit from the front into the back of the Treo. Watch out not to mess up the position of the volume control switches, but do not worry if they do not seem to work with the back removed- they need the back to be in place to be seated properly. (i.e. they will work fine once the back is reinstalled correctly). BTW, the long screw goes in the corner with the antenna, as it is what secures it into place. It will fall out once the screw is removed.

4) Find and resecure the loose screw. Might consider using Lock-Tite or something, although I didn't.

5) Resecure the cover, making sure that the locking tabs on the sides are engaged propely, and also making sure that the face of the circuit board is fitted snugly against the front of the cover. It will be pretty obvious if it is not by looking at it from the side.

6) Replace the screws and the rubber covers.

BTW, I am not advocating that anyone do this and void their warranty. But if is a choice of either doing this or living with a Treo with something rattling around on the inside, this is a fairly easy job to do.
    Thanks for the step-by-step Santron. I've got the same rattle, and may attempt to open my 600 also. One question - can you clarify step 3 - the press-fit tabs. How, where, what did you press to do this? Any chance of getting a close-up photo of the tab?
    They are really easy. Just remember that when you take the screws out, that the front and back covers won't just seperate, but are held together by the SIDES (not top and bottom). Many devices with plastic cases are held together in similar fashion. It is really very easy.
    thanks for the info...i had a "loose screw" and was able to open up the 600, replace the loose screw, and everything is a-ok now. it was a simple 10 minute job. thanks again. djb
    My Treo600 is rattling too. It's definitely a screw loose not the power button.

I called the 800# given in this thread (thanks) but it's only for non-Sprint non-CDMA phones. They insist I contact Sprint.

I'm tempted to open my T600 up but I'd rather have Sprint take care of it and let Handspring know about this problem too.

Is there any chance of them giving us T650s as replacements? (Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask/dream, does it? )
    -MagicMtnDan
    SoCal

it had been almost a year since anyone reported on this problem again... when did you two (2 last posts) pick up the Treo and was it brand new ?
    It is definetly a screw loose problem on most of the Treo's. Mine had the same problem along time ago. if it is not on warranty and you have a T6 screw driver it is a relatively easy fix. The 600 is not that hard to take apart.
    got mine a week or so before making my post...it was refurbished 300 replacement. djb.
    Mine is a refurb that I got less than a year ago after having the network search problem...
    -MagicMtnDan
    SoCal

I just started having the full rattle -- not a loose button, but something moving all around the case -- with a 18 month old, maybe older 600. Doesn't seem to affect anything and I think it is kind of charming, so long as it doesn't short anything out.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelbra
    I just started having the full rattle -- not a loose button, but something moving all around the case -- with a 18 month old, maybe older 600. Doesn't seem to affect anything and I think it is kind of charming, so long as it doesn't short anything out.
    My son's Treo was dropped and a rattle started shortly afterwards.

It was a small piece of the antenna. It had broken away from where the retention screw passed through the antenna and was rattling around inside the Treo.

We used crazy glue to repair the screw hole in the antenna.
    crazy glue works great. The plastic around the screw holes are easily chipped off. I found a piece the last time I took my T600 apart and glued it back. Drops probably strain the plastic enough to crack around the metal screw holes. Still works fine.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345