Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. xja
    I had the loose piece inside. I called Handspring. They sent me a new one and I returned mine in the box it came in. They didn't hesitate, and I had had my phone for over a month. I would try again if I were you.
    Herein are noteworthy data points from my current rattle experience with the CDMA Treo 600 for those who look for patterns.

Got my Treo 600 first week of December through Amazon. Everything was solid (not even any problems with PCS) until today.

I was in a meeting and received a call, rather than slip it out of its case, I thumbed the sound toggle from ringer to silent while it was ringing.

When I went to check my voice mail later, I found that the the Treo 600 was now featuring the "screw loose" rattle. To be clear, it is not the "power button" rattle: there is clearly some tiny object tumbling within the case. I have not as yet been able to use any creative visualization or furious shaking process to lodge the object into a secure spot. :-)

Based on just a few minutes of phone usage since the rattling began, it seems that the speaker performance may poorer; but it's too soon to speculate confidently on that. I am unsure whether it is a coincidental or causal relation between the sound switch and the rattle; I'm curious whether anyone else here has any supporting evidence.

Meanwhile, based on the advice of posters here, I called Handspring, using option 6 to by pass the Sprint re-routing. Handspring said that since I've had the phone longer than two weeks, I had to take it up with Sprint.

As I type, I am engaged in the laborious process of figuring out who will rectify the situation and how. Per suggestion of posters here/

I called Handspring, er, PalmOne first (using option six bypass a rerouting to Sprint.) PalmOne says that since I've had my unit longer than two weeks, I have to take it up with Sprint.

Called Sprint's 800 number, and they said I have to take it up with a local Sprint store.

Called the local Sprint store, and they at first tried to put my back to Sprint 800, I said they sent me to local, and now I am on hold...
    Last edited by jayhoytt; 12/31/2003 at 06:05 PM.
    I had the same problem. I went in person to my local Sprint store. I explained the problem, then held up the unit and shook. Quite a rattle! The look of horror on the reps face was priceless. I had no trouble getting a replacement. However, I WAS within the two week purchase window.

Still, I think you've got a better shot at satisfaction if you can actually show another human in person the horrible sound that screw loose makes. It is NOT the same as the power button being a little loose...
    The day after my last post (which was a long while back), I went to the local distributor for the Treo 600 in Malaysia and got a one-for-one exchange. They hardly asked any questions, probably because this is now such a "known" problem. I don't know whether this was a "new" or a "refurbished" unit. I didn't ask, since I don't want to know, but then given how new the product is/was, and the demand/supply situation, I doubted that the unit I got in exchange was a refurbished unit.

The unit I got in exchange seemed a lot more "solid". The silencer swith on top seemed a lot tighter at that time. It has now with use become a lot more "loose" and that rattling sound for this switch/button has now appeared (this wasn't apparent in my previous unit)!

The "loose screw" within the Treo has not reappeared in this unit, so far (fingers crossed now...).
    My first T600 had a rattle as well. SSomething loose inside it for sure, and NOT the buttons on top. It took Handspring F O R E V E R to replace it but they finally did. Now my second one has no rattle. I have heard of others complaining of this as well.
    My first T600 had a rattle as well. SSomething loose inside it for sure, and NOT the buttons on top. It took Handspring F O R E V E R to replace it but they finally did. Now my second one has no rattle. I have heard of others complaining of this as well.
    Three days ago, I had a nice new (less than one month old) Treo 600 that worked perfectly and had no rattle. After doing a hotsync, some of the keys on the keboard stopped working correctly so I took it to the local Sprint store to get a replacement.

The replacement arrived last night and had the power-button rattle. I took it to the Sprint store this morning and requested a replacement. The Sprint rep gave me a hard time...

"It's only the power-button sir...", "It doesn't affect the performance of the phone sir...", etc.

I explained that I expected more from a $600 phone. She went in the back to speak with her supervisor and was gone for about 10 minutes, then came back and said she'd order me a replacement. However, she cautioned me that "90% of these phones have this problem." I kindly replied that I would return to this store to order a replacement until I received a phone that lived up to my expectations for a $600 phone. She just rolled her eyes...
    Originally posted by gurjit
    What I'm afraid of is if the loose screw short circuits the board. If that happens, you can say bye-bye to your Treo 600.

Well it seems that this is what has happened to my treo.

Ive had the loose screw rattle for about 2 weeks now (ive owned it for about 3 weeks now), but I was willing to live with it in the meantime.

That was untill today...today I pulled my phone out of my pocket and it was at the bootup "tap stylus here screen". It seems that if the phone is disturbed at all, even if it is placed lightly on a counter it shorts and powers off.

Went to best buy (i have their extended service agreement) and they are out of stock. Tomarrow mornign they get 2 in and will be holding one for me.

After an hour of shaking I have now shaken the screw loose again and it doesnt reboot(Im still getting my replacement tomarrow).
    Originally posted by palmnerd
    Three days ago, I had a nice new (less than one month old) Treo 600 that worked perfectly and had no rattle. After doing a hotsync, some of the keys on the keboard stopped working correctly so I took it to the local Sprint store to get a replacement.

The replacement arrived last night and had the power-button rattle. I took it to the Sprint store this morning and requested a replacement. The Sprint rep gave me a hard time...

"It's only the power-button sir...", "It doesn't affect the performance of the phone sir...", etc.

I explained that I expected more from a $600 phone. She went in the back to speak with her supervisor and was gone for about 10 minutes, then came back and said she'd order me a replacement. However, she cautioned me that "90% of these phones have this problem." I kindly replied that I would return to this store to order a replacement until I received a phone that lived up to my expectations for a $600 phone. She just rolled her eyes...

You are completely right to expect somethign more from a $600 phone. If I were you I would complain about her to a district manager.

I also would have told her... "Well in that case you can expect to see me untill I get one of those in the 10%"
    Originally posted by cruelpupet

You are completely right to expect somethign more from a $600 phone. If I were you I would complain about her to a district manager.

I also would have told her... "Well in that case you can expect to see me untill I get one of those in the 10%"
    My Sprint experience makes me wish I had gotten mine at Best Buy with a replacement plan. At least that way I'd have a new phone, even if I had to wait for it. Now I'm stuck with a refurbished phone. It makes me angry because I purchased a new phone, not a refurbished model. I think I'm beginning to understand why people complain about Sprint service. Usually, when you purchase a refurbished model of something, it is at a discount because it isn't new. I paid for a new model and less than a month later am stuck with a refurbished one. What a bunch of s**t!

Ok... I guess I'm done venting now. At least until my next visit to the Sprint store...
    I could probably be a poster child for Treo 600 problems.

1st Treo 600 - Started receiving famous error 3000 when using vision. After a couple of weeks working with Sprint on the phone and reflashing it twice at the Sprint store, I exchanged it at Worst Buy for a new one which solved the error 3000 problem.

2nd Treo 600 - Had the power button rattle problem out of the box. It didn't bother me too much, but after 2 days, it started rattling internally (sounded like a loose screw). After 2 weeks waiting to for a local Worst Buy to get one in stock, I exchanged it today.

3rd Treo 600 - After the standard 4 hour wait time for activation, I am getting the Vision error 67. I spoke to Sprint a few minutes ago and they said I am in the system, but there is a backlog and I have to give it up to 10 hours to process.

This is my 3rd Treo in just over 4 weeks. I have decided I will continue to take it back no matter how long it takes for them to get it right or until someone comes out with a better phone.

jb
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Originally posted by palmnerd

My Sprint experience makes me wish I had gotten mine at Best Buy with a replacement plan. At least that way I'd have a new phone, even if I had to wait for it.
    Okay, I like shopping at Best Buy: decent prices and no commissioned sales people.

But... IMHO their Performance Service Plans (PSP's) are a waste of money. I originally purchased one with my T600, but after reading the fine print I returned it (yes, you can return/cancel a PSP anytime) and signed up for Sprint/Lockline insurance. The following are quotes from the Best Buy PSP "Terms & Conditions"

* Parts and services covered during the manufacturer's warranty period are the responsibility of the manufacturer.

* Products, including those within the original manufacturer's warranty period, may be repaired or replaced with a comparable product, or we will issue a voucher for the original purchase price at our discression.

* Replacement parts will be new, rebuilt or non-original manufacturer's parts that perform to the factory specifications of the product at our option.

* This plan does not cover repairs caused by accidental or intentional damage, condensation, spilled liquids, insect infestation, misuse, abuse, altered or missing serial numbers or damage caused by non-authorized repair personnel.

* Also not covered are replacement costs for lost or consumable parts (knobs , remotes, cartridges, drums, etc.),

* This plan does not cover cracked or physically damaged screens found in Notebooks, PDAs, cameras, mobile phones or any other product that contains similar viewing mechanisms.

* This plan does not cover theft

and my favorites....

* Although your manufacturer's warranty may still be in effect, Mobile Phone Plans are fulfilled when the product is replaced.

* After three service repairs have been completed on an individual product and that individual product requires a fourth repair, as determined by us, we will replace it with a product of comparable performance, not to exceed the original purchase price. Replacement products may be new or rebuilt to meet the manufacturer's specifications of the original product at our discression.

So... they can claim missing buttons or keys are not covered, nor is screen damage. They get three tries to fix other stuff before they have to replace your phone. If they replace your phone it doesn't have to be with a new one or even the same model. If they do replace it, no matter when, your service plan coverage is fulfilled. Finally, drop your phone, no coverage, lose your phone, no coverage, stolen phone, no coverage....

Between all that for $80 (three year) and $4 a month Sprint/Lockline ($35 deductable) I thought the choice was easy.

ERic
    Originally posted by ERicJ

Okay, I like shopping at Best Buy: decent prices and no commissioned sales people.

But... IMHO their Performance Service Plans (PSP's) are a waste of money. I originally purchased one with my T600, but after reading the fine print I returned it (yes, you can return/cancel a PSP anytime) and signed up for Sprint/Lockline insurance. The following are quotes from the Best Buy PSP "Terms & Conditions"

* Parts and services covered during the manufacturer's warranty period are the responsibility of the manufacturer.

* Products, including those within the original manufacturer's warranty period, may be repaired or replaced with a comparable product, or we will issue a voucher for the original purchase price at our discression.

* Replacement parts will be new, rebuilt or non-original manufacturer's parts that perform to the factory specifications of the product at our option.

* This plan does not cover repairs caused by accidental or intentional damage, condensation, spilled liquids, insect infestation, misuse, abuse, altered or missing serial numbers or damage caused by non-authorized repair personnel.

* Also not covered are replacement costs for lost or consumable parts (knobs , remotes, cartridges, drums, etc.),

* This plan does not cover cracked or physically damaged screens found in Notebooks, PDAs, cameras, mobile phones or any other product that contains similar viewing mechanisms.

* This plan does not cover theft

and my favorites....

* Although your manufacturer's warranty may still be in effect, Mobile Phone Plans are fulfilled when the product is replaced.

* After three service repairs have been completed on an individual product and that individual product requires a fourth repair, as determined by us, we will replace it with a product of comparable performance, not to exceed the original purchase price. Replacement products may be new or rebuilt to meet the manufacturer's specifications of the original product at our discression.

So... they can claim missing buttons or keys are not covered, nor is screen damage. They get three tries to fix other stuff before they have to replace your phone. If they replace your phone it doesn't have to be with a new one or even the same model. If they do replace it, no matter when, your service plan coverage is fulfilled. Finally, drop your phone, no coverage, lose your phone, no coverage, stolen phone, no coverage....

Between all that for $80 (three year) and $4 a month Sprint/Lockline ($35 deductable) I thought the choice was easy.

ERic
    You make some very good points. Maybe I'll get the Sprint insurance after all... though I hate to give them any more of my money.
    quite a long thread here. i have got a rattle too. almost from the beginning. i have vesion b or whatever of the sprint phone. my rattle is not the power button though....it is the wireless button. i am hoping that this is just part of the "normal" variation in products (ie....can't be helped given the lax quality control...and it is just cosmetic...and won't affect the phone)and won't be a problem later. if i hold the wireless button and shake the phone....no rattle. sigh...
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Has anyone opened up their rattling Treo 600? My first one had the rattle, and after like a month I finally got a replacement from Handspring. Since then, they have not asked for my old one back. I have called them THREE TIMES to ask for an address to ship the old one back to (I'm basically an honest guy, but moreso want to get it out of my office) and they keep promising to send me out a Fed-Ex envelope, but after 6 weeks now I have given up hope. So I think I am going to open it up this weekend and see what all the fuss is about.
    i would be very interested if you did open it up. of course you know the warranty will then be void...but it has been a month and no one has asked you for the phone. they were probably swamped all with the holidays and someone forgot all about you. out of curiosity...did yours rattle from the power button or the wireless button (like me?)
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Originally posted by broras
    "...it is most definitely not the power button."

Umm, oops, yes it is most definitely the power button...I hold it lightly and it makes no rattle. I guess mine is the only internal screw loose.
    My Treo 600 rattles like a snake. It's definitely not the power button. There is a screw loose toward the bottom of the device. I was so furious because the phone started rattling after two weeks of usage - it hasn't been dropped once! So after waiting on line for nearly an hour at the Sprint customer service line, they told me that they were going to send me a replacement - which arrived 3 days later. Lo and behold, the Sprint rep gave me a sympathetic look and told me that he has seen a number of phones with rattling and did not hesitate to offer me a replacement. Turned out that the replacement that they sent me was a 'refurbished' model - which they claim is standard procedure for any replaced phone. As soon as I took the phone out of the box - I shook it. I was very close to throwing the damn thing at the wall because, it too, had a screw loose. How could Handspring or Motorola have such ****ty quality control??? Although I like the product, I have to say I am some what soured by this experience.
    Neither. My power and wireless buttons rattled slightly but that never bothered me. There is DEFINITELY something loose and moving around the inside. Sometimes it will be quiet for a day or two when it gets wedged somewhere, then it breaks loose again. I don't care about the warranty - this is now a spare Treo for me as far as I'm concerned, after three tries to return it. I need to go over to my friend's machine shop to get the right tool.
    Originally posted by Santron
    Neither. My power and wireless buttons rattled slightly but that never bothered me. There is DEFINITELY something loose and moving around the inside. Sometimes it will be quiet for a day or two when it gets wedged somewhere, then it breaks loose again. I don't care about the warranty - this is now a spare Treo for me as far as I'm concerned, after three tries to return it. I need to go over to my friend's machine shop to get the right tool.
    I have the exact same problem dude.

Freak'n piece of $650 crap!!!!
    Originally posted by Santron
    Wait. Your replacement is rattling too??? This is unacceptable!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast