Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I am from Malaysia and own a GSM version of Treo 600. Started hearing this irritating rattle 2 days ago and appears to be a loose screw. Got the unit on 2nd November 2003 and will be approaching the distributor for a replacement.
    Treo 600 Rocks!
    I have the power button rattle too. Came out of nowhere after a few days. Feel better that I know what it is, but it seems it shouldn't happen. I don't know that I want to go to the trouble of replacing it since it will probably happen again and everything else works great!
  3. xja
    I have both the power button noise (very minor and not bothersome.. had it from day one) and, after 2 weeks, the loose screw rolling around inside (very bothersome...sounds like a baby rattle! ).

Handspring is sending a replacement.

I have Rev. B
    I THOUGHT I only had the power switch rattle...turns out I have the "loose screw" rattle. Handspring will only replace if you bought from them...Sprint said I have to go to one of their stores and the closest one is 45 mins away....Best Buy, where I bought it doesn't have any left.
    I have the rattle. I was this close to opening it, but the replacement are flowing and it's not interfering with operation much, so what the heck. Basically sounds like a very small screw or bb rolling around in there.

Mine is a hardware revision C, fwiw.

Followed directions listed earlier - 877-426-3777, and press "6", for don't know who my provider is.
    Nice People Suck Less.
    I have it in the power button-- on the phone now to see if I'm successful with getting a replacement. I got it from Handspring.
    OKay, the tech had me hold down both buttons on top (power and ringer) and see if the rattling continues. It stopped, so he told the that these two buttons were SUPPOSED to have a slight rattle (why???). Anyway, I told him that I didn't like that I was having to press the power button a little harder than I had to at first to cut it off.

He said he would note that in my record and if it turned up to be a problem later, I could get a new unit.

Conversely, I can get a new unit now if I want to -- but the system is down and I have to do it tomorrow. Is there any down side to seeking a replacement when they say there is no problem with it? I don't want to make it bad by "crying wolf" or anything, for others down the road.

What do you all think?
    Originally posted by wheresmy600
    OKay, the tech had me hold down both buttons on top (power and ringer) and see if the rattling continues. It stopped, so he told the that these two buttons were SUPPOSED to have a slight rattle (why???). Anyway, I told him that I didn't like that I was having to press the power button a little harder than I had to at first to cut it off.

He said he would note that in my record and if it turned up to be a problem later, I could get a new unit.

Conversely, I can get a new unit now if I want to -- but the system is down and I have to do it tomorrow. Is there any down side to seeking a replacement when they say there is no problem with it? I don't want to make it bad by "crying wolf" or anything, for others down the road.

What do you all think?
    I just don't think it would be worth it to go through the replacement stuff. My old treo had a rattle from the ringer switch, but it was slight, and like this annoyance on the 600, it's just the way the switch is designed. The buttons would have to be manufactured to very high tolerances to avoid it, which adds expense. If you heard the loose screw/bb thing, you'd know what annoying is...

So far as the power button pressure thing, I prefer it as is, because I don't wan't to shut of the wireless service accidentally, and the power functionality is replicated as the screen key.

Anyway, I'm sure it's to your advantage to have you case file be free of anything that could be construed as a niggley complaint. There may be issues in the future that you want an unbiased appreciation for...

IMH(and requested)O
    Nice People Suck Less.
    Anyone figure out a workaround for the wireless on/off switch rattle. Seems like all you would have to do is create a little tension between the switch and the case and the rattle would stop.

And on a different but related note, anyone notice a little give in the antenna? The black case covering the antenna on my phone can be pulled back and forth slightly. Seems like it's getting progressively looser, but could just be my mind.
    go.digital
    Well, it's been almost 4 weeks and I still don't have the promised replacement. I called Handspring/PalmOne last week and they did their shuffle shuffle I don't know what's going on dance.

Yesterday, my rattle stopped ... for about 5 minutes.

I've wondered what a metal object would do dancing on a circuit board ... I think I found out. Yesterday, when my rattle stopped, I think it shorted out some circuitry. Now, I have intermittent sound in the ear piece and the speaker phone works with a very anoying echo.

I called Handspring again ... not help. They told me to call sprint cs. I called sprint cs. They told me I had to go to a sprint store. I went to the sprint store today. The lady in cs took it to the tech who told her to tell me that they couldn't do anything since it wasn't a manufacturing defect.

Though I said the ear piece didn't work anymore and the speaker phone was echoing and my reception all of a sudden was faulty - would drop intermittently (didn't before) - they said that the rattle was 'cause a piece of metal was loose from the charger (supposedly my fault) and that it wouldn't charge anymore and they couldn't do anything about it. I told them that it Does charge ... and what about the faulty sound and reception. She said sorry - nothing she could do.

So ... I called the mgr of the store - who wasn't available. So I calle dthe mgr's mgr. She was Very helpful.

The original cs rep at the store said that she could order me a new phone - would take a while. The mgr I talked with said that wasn't true .. they had a shipment in today and they'd reserve one for me to pick up whenever I could get down there.

Thank god for managers!

I sure wish someone at PalmOne would get a clue. This may be my first & last Palm product.

Ken
    I got my T6 mid Oct from Sprint and then last week it started to rattle...it got annoying after a while...it made me want to take it apart and find out what that noise was...sounded like a screw...so I called handspring and they sent me a new phone just came in today..no rattle but waiting for my vision service to be restarted...the greatest thing was that it didnt take me 5 hours to put everything back on the replacement unit like it did with my old IPaq..glad I switched back
    First off thumbs up to HS/palmone for replacing the units. Sprint just gave me the run around and said that I would have to pay for the unit before they would ship it and that there are no T6's to replace it with at this time. It passed the bench test so they said it was fine. I refuse to live with a rattle in a 600 Dollar phone.

Call HS and make sure you "bought" the phone WITHIN the last 14 days and when you hold down the buttons on top "it still rattles" end of story and you will be sent a new unit. You will need a CC number to give the tech but they do not charge it unless you do not return the old unit.
    I bought my GSM unit in Malaysia on 05 November. It was working perfectly and all of today until about 19H when I started to hear this tiny metal "thing" move from end to end at the bottom of the unit. Not happy

I'm calling the local distributor tomorrow and I'm hoping they will replace it with no questions asked since it's obviously a known (manufacturing?) problem.

My unit has hardware revision" B".
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hi jikon,

That's the same problem I had. Got it replaced at D'Challenger. So far the new unit appears normal. Mine is hardware: B too!

Cheers!
    Treo 600 Rocks!
    I got my Treo 600 exchanged yesterday at the local distributors, C2O. Hardly any questions asked, with the exception of "did you drop it". I guess it's become such a "known" problem that they can't be bothered to hassle the customer and in fact, resign themselves to having to do this over and over again.

The new unit feels like it's much better built. The silent switch is a lot of difficult to move than my previous unit. The stylus-tank no longer "expands" when I remove or insert the stylus - this happened with my previous unit and I was always felt as if the Treo was about to "crack" at the seams.

The new unit carries the same firmware (02.01), software (Treo600-1.05-INT) and hardware (B) revisions as the previous one.

So far, so good.... but it's only day 1....*quiver*
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Good Luck to you.
    One of the rubber pads under the antenna just fell out last night. I am just not bothered about complaining so I put some tape so it doesn't fall out again, Looks like quality is of some issue on this Handspring units.
    Treo 600 Rocks!
    I just picked up this Treo600 last week on the intention of trying out the Sprint signal strength from my home office (14-day money back trial). After a pretty miserable outcome, I was going to return it in the next few days... but guess what happened since this morning ? The rattle (not the power button for sure) started. What the hell am I supposed to do ?! I hope Sprint doesn't presume I broke it when I go to return it for the full refund.

I plan to ditch Sprint and pick this phone up again if/when Verizon carries it... maybe I'll even go to AT&T... but the point is... what am I supposed to do now... trying to return this rattling phone ?! Should I even mention it to them ?
    I found that if you "rattle" the unit "enough", the "rattling" will stop! After all, the sound is caused by some tiny metal object moving inside the unit. If you agitate it in the "right" way "sufficiently", the metal object will become lodged within the unit and the sound will "disappear"!

*magic*
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    What I'm afraid of is if the loose screw short circuits the board. If that happens, you can say bye-bye to your Treo 600.
    Treo 600 Rocks!
    I've had my 600 about a month now. Just today, it developed the rattle so well described here - the one inside, not the power switch. I called Handspring as recommended by Broras. The representative was not helpful. She advised that since I've had the phone for more that 14 days, she could do nothing. I said that this was not acceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor. She said none were available at night, but that one would call me the next day, and perhaps I could get a refurbished phone. I'll have to wait for the call. I don't want a refurbished phone. Does anyone have any idea if I can demand a new phone? If there a way to tell? Also my phone shows a warranty date of 11-09-2003. Is this the date the warranty started, or the day it ended? Anyone think I should try approuching Sprint as well?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast