1.    #1  
    Two questions:

1) when will sprint be ready to provide a working sms system? Sms feature of the treo600 is useless unless sprint gets their act together and

2) what has to be do in order for my "favorites" to show up when I initially press the left side phone button? Even the 300 had this option.

Thanks!
    I saw on another forum that Sprint has announced internally that SMS will be launched on Nov 26. This will probably be to compete for business due to number portability that starts on Novemeber 24.
    yeah...it sucks, but somebody else came up with this nifty lil wap site to use meanwhile:

www.carde.com/sms

works great for me. however, i've only tried sprint to sprint. does this sms page send to other carriers?

if you do a search on this site for this thread, you can find the source for it to customize the page and serve it yourself if you wish.
    PDAapps will release Treo600SMS shortly...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    PDAapps will release Treo600SMS shortly...
    good idea...if they're smart, they'd release a working version before Sprint does so everyone buys their version now.

I just tried sending an sms from that website above to my wife who's on Verizon...will let you know if it works.
    I emailed/called sprint everyday about them getting their **** together with sms, it is the only thing they don't have.

In one email they told me that I was the only person that thought sms was that important, but none the less they are in the middle of developing an easier/fast system than the current online way of doing things. The more people to tell them they want this, the faster they will get to it.
    What's the email address you're using to email Sprint?

Using the website above, I tried several different ways but couldn't get an sms message to go through to my wife on Verizon...
    Originally posted by mo-bile

good idea...if they're smart, they'd release a working version before Sprint does so everyone buys their version now.

I got a late beta version of Treo600SMS in response to an email request today from PDAapps so I guess the release of this utility is probably imminent. I could not find anything wrong with this beta yet.
    Originally posted by treo_fanatic

I got a late beta version of Treo600SMS in response to an email request today from PDAapps so I guess the release of this utility is probably imminent. I could not find anything wrong with this beta yet.
    The beta version of Treo600SMS seems to be working great so far for me! YEAH!.. Only problem is sometimes it's not disconnecting from Vision (green arrows)..

Josh
    I did find a web interface that works from the Treo.

http://www.sprintusers.com/wap/wap/tm/

But you do need to know the carrier of the recipient. This one worked on a message to my wife.
    Originally posted by Robots_are_neon
    I emailed/called sprint everyday about them getting their **** together with sms, it is the only thing they don't have.

In one email they told me that I was the only person that thought sms was that important, but none the less they are in the middle of developing an easier/fast system than the current online way of doing things. The more people to tell them they want this, the faster they will get to it.
    I wanna know the ***** that answered this email (from Sprint). So just out of nowhere, Sprint has decided to rebuild their SMS system, but this is not in part to any demand from the customer? You happened to be the VERY FIRST to email them and say you were eager to get the new system? I wish Sprint would quit hiring college freshman to handle their CS...

That's just not how things work - the demand is high, and Sprint knows this. They have received a large number of complaints for using such an eccentric approach to SMS, and numerous "weighty" industry analysts have always given this service poor ratings. I for one despise the web based system, and am eager to see Spring make good use of the built in SMS that the T600 appears to have (message threading, integration with contacts, emoticons, local based send/receive - basically, what it should be!). I am not sure how long I would hold my breath for Sprint, maybe PDAApps will let me upgrade from Treo300SMS for a cheap fee? Especially considering I only had my T300 for about a month!

Best Regards,
    e
    I emailed the creators of Treo600sms to inquire about participating in the beta...and surprise, surprise, they responded by attaching the beta to the email! I tested by having an sms conversation with myself and it seems to work!

Now I need someone else to test with (the wife loves to recieve, but has such a primative phone isn't fond of having a conversation)

Anyone who want's to try it out, PM me your number and we'lll chat!
    PDAApps also sent me the beta, although it will expire in a few days!

Seems to be working great, except I have gotten several soft resets I never got before...

usually when I turn off wireless mode, and once when I was looking for an SMS contact and it started retreiving.

What is funny, sometimes the soft resets automaticllay re-activate wireless mode when the phone comes back up. The 300 didn't do it (unless you had some utility)... strange...

mo-bile, did you have any of these issues at all? I didn't have them before I used this program nor did I with Treo300SMS.

I told them and I am sure they will work on it (that IS why it is called BETA).

I hope they get it all together and release it soon.

Mike
    They also sent me a copy of the beta version... here is my question. I keep getting an error saying i need to clear out my shortmail contact list on the sprint website to get my messages, did anyone else have to do this?
    Originally posted by jojobah
    They also sent me a copy of the beta version... here is my question. I keep getting an error saying i need to clear out my shortmail contact list on the sprint website to get my messages, did anyone else have to do this?
    I didn't have to do it.

I had the beta but had to take it out due to the soft reset issue.. The pdaapps people said they are working on it though. My unit would soft reset whenever I would turn off the wireless mode after using Treo600SMS.

I think they are pretty close to making it available for purchase to everyone... once they fix this reset issue, it will be a VERY good program. Seemlessly integrates right into the new Sprint SMS system... with the chats and everything.

Mike
    I've been using the beta also. It is true that you will have to delete your exisiting short list if you have one. Otherwise you will get all sorts of error messages from the PDA Apps server. I had to do the same thing with the i500 version too.
    Does anyone else have soft reset problems when using Treo600SMS beta when you use the progra, delete the messages u sent, then turn wireless mode off.

Mine soft resets right after it says goodbye.

Mike