1.    #1  
    So, I'm using Snappermail to get email - which works pretty well. Since I'm a convert from RIM, I set Snapper to get mail every minute.

Just heard from some colleagues that they keep dialing my number and it's always BUSY!

Ugh - I started thinking - jeez, I guess the phone must be "in use" when checking for email. That's terrible, but probably a necessity - so I changed my frequency for getting email to be every 20 minutes, now...

I'm wondering if anyone knows, though, why phone calls wouldn't AT LEAST go to voicemail when the phone is in use????

Thoughts?

...seems like a significant issue... - just not sure who to call about it. Sprint or Handspring?

Thanks,
    Vic
    Originally posted by Zaud
    So, I'm using Snappermail to get email - which works pretty well. Since I'm a convert from RIM, I set Snapper to get mail every minute.

Just heard from some colleagues that they keep dialing my number and it's always BUSY!

Ugh - I started thinking - jeez, I guess the phone must be "in use" when checking for email. That's terrible, but probably a necessity - so I changed my frequency for getting email to be every 20 minutes, now...

I'm wondering if anyone knows, though, why phone calls wouldn't AT LEAST go to voicemail when the phone is in use????

Thoughts?

...seems like a significant issue... - just not sure who to call about it. Sprint or Handspring?

Thanks,
    Vic
    I asssume you have the CDMA version of the Treo600. If so, cdma handsets cannot do both data and voice simutaneously. During an active data connection (green arrows), voice calls will automatically be routed to voicemail. During a non-active data conneciton (grey arrows), your phone will ring or you will be prompted whether or not to answer the call. Thus all your missed calls should be routed to voicemail. If not, you should check your voicemail settings. Thus, if you are constantly polling with snappermail, your data connection will always be active (green arrows), and hence you will miss calls. A few solutions are to reduce the frequency of polling (which you already have done), or to use 3rd party app to sms trigger email or automatically drop active connections. Regarding sms tigger, there are several apps that do this including basejet etc. Also, checkout Treohelper and this thread for support. Treohelper is a great app which lets you assign sms triggers to launch pull email. Thus instead of constantly polling, it only launches snappermail when it receives a sms indicating new email in the inbox (you need sms notification though). Treohelper also has Drop net featrures which will allow you to specify dropping active connections after specified period of time (this can especially help with missed calls). Checkout the above thread, it seems Potatoho has been getting to this work on the Troe600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    So is that the main difference between the GSM T600 and the Sprint CDMA T600, that the GSM can do data and voice at once? Also I guess GSM could work out of the country. Just wondering how many features I lost by staying with sprint for the T600?

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Originally posted by Zaud

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Vic
    If you are using your provided Sprint email account (you ARE, aren't you?) then you can just change your email preferences (on their site) to send a copy of every incoming email to your Treo via SMS. Then when you receive an incoming email, you'll get a realtime alert on your Treo containing the first 160 or so characters of the email message. If it's important enough, you can open Snappermail and retrieve the whole message.

That way you won't have to have Snappermail set for automatic retrieval!
  5.    #5  
    Actually, I wasn't using my sprintpcs email - but I finally figured out how to set up SMS to read my own mail server. That's a start. I can see how that might be useful rather than always downloading with Snapper.

At the same time, I can't get snapper to go retrieve a specific email - it will just get everything.

After speaking with SprintPCS, they explained that indeed the phone is "in use" when downloading mail. However, it IS supposed to go directly to voicemail.

We tested it again and it seems to have been a bug in their system yesterday. Not sure... it's *supposed* to go to voicemail.

Thanks for you help, though. Any other suggestions?
  6.    #6  
    I guess the only other part of my question is just what the deal is with when the TREO goes online through the vision services - and when it doesn't...

So, for example - when does it know to check SMS mail?

Sometimes I've found that it needs to "connect to vision services" - what triggers that?
  7.    #7  
    Hi Stuart,

So - where do I set messages to forward to SMS on the sprint site? Is it the "notifications" section of the "email" section? I've set ALL MESSAGES to forward to my PCS phone - is that the same as the SMS?

...kinda confusing.

ANy more advice?

Thanks.
    All Treos and current modern handsets are class B data devices. You have one transceiver in the handset and that means that means that you cannot receive calls when there is an active data session. In the future you may expect a new class of WCDMA devices that permit voice and data at the same time but this is fiction for now unless you live in some parts of Korea and Japan.

In short, your phone cannot receive calls while there is an active data session on CDMA phones. I believe that an active GPRS data session is capable of being interrupted by an inbound call but I would have to get that confirmed by someone who uses it.

In long, 1xRTT(PCS Vision) and GPRS use a 'so called' always on model. This is an OK description for marketing folks but is not reality. When you connect to the Internet on either system, a temporary IP address is assigned to your phone and a 'session' starts. This session can be expired by the wireless network after a given number of hours or if you leave the network. Next the handset establishes an active connection to the internet using this IP address. This active session has a much shorter life than the overall connection and will usually time-out in under a minute after you stop surfing the web.

In reality, this means that your phone is unavailable to receive calls when your phone is checking email or surfing the web. Otherwise, you get calls.
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    All Treos and current modern handsets are class B data devices. ...snip...

In short, your phone cannot receive calls while there is an active data session on CDMA phones. I believe that an active GPRS data session is capable of being interrupted by an inbound call but I would have to get that confirmed by someone who uses it.

...snip...
    The "Class B" designation that you are referring to is for GSM devices only. GSM Class B devices can automatically switch between voice and data AND provides automatic notification.

When a GSM device receives an incoming call during a data session (such as downloading new e-mail), the phone pops up a message on-screen and the phone rings as if you weren't doing anything at all.

It's rather transparent and you don't have to do anything but answer the call or "ignore" the call. While you are talking, your data session is paused. Once you finish your call, your data session will pick up where it left off and continue downloading.

Sprint's network doesn't do this. Sprint's network makes the Treo "act" more like a Class C device (where you have to manually switch between voice and data).

Otherwise, your description is correct.

Sprint's limitation may not carry over to other CDMA providers, but I cannot confirm or deny that.

GSM has worked great for me.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.