1.    #1  
    I've been told that if I upgrade from the 300 to the 600, I will lose my ability to Send AND Receive SMS messages. I currently do this through the use of Treo300SMS.

I also use VeriChat, and their site says that it only supports the 180, 270, and 300. I rely on these two apps heavily.

Also, I have a bluetooth Jabra FreeSpeak headset that I wouldn't be able to use.

Is there other functionality that I would lose by upgrading.

I'd like to get the latest mode, especially during this month's promotion, but it's hard to justify paying money to lose functionality to gain some features that I may or may not use.
  2.    #2  
    Isn't there someone here who has upgraded from the 300 who can tell me what I'm going to lose by upgrading and compare/contrast that to what I would gain?

Thanks...
    What will you lose? Oh, about $400
    PDAapps will release Treo600SMS shortly so you won't lose SMS fucnitonality. (they also will release an updated TreoalertMgr for the T600) Plus, Sprint will probably release their MO-SMS service later this year as well. Also, Verichat should work on the Treo600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5. jrv
    Calenders snooze becomes almost useless - there's no way to pick a snooze interval as on the T300.
    You will also lose web clipping applications (PQA's, like Directory Assistant), as they are not supported under Palm OS 5.
    If you use Xiino and surf some complex sites, you'll take a speed hit. If you only use Blazer, you'll see a BIG improvement with B3. Also, I'm STILL adjusting to the new KB. Not as easy as I thought it would be. You'll also have to be without some of the Treo utility programs, at least until they're updated. (TreoTools, TreoButton, AlertMgr). Finally, throw your hacks and PQAs away. They won't work in OS5.
    Overall, though, I don't think you'll miss the 300.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the responses. The snooze is a new one that I wasn't familiar with. That's something that I use daily.

I don't see how I can justify upgrading today. I'll lose my bluetooth headset, snooze capabilities, and sending sms.

I wonder if I purchase now, if I could wait for a while before activating. That way I could get the reduced price, but I could wait for SMS before activating. Of course if Verichat works maybe it won't be that big of a deal. I only send about 5 or 10 messages a week.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    The 300 had a button for the command bar , which has changed to a Menu button on the 600. I haven't found a way to access the command bar on the 600 yet unless I use Jot and do the Grafitti stroke.
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    I'll lose my bluetooth headset...
    Why is this? I've heard that the headset jack is different on the 600, but is there no adapter available?
    The jack on the Treo 600 is a 2.5mm "universal."

The jack on the Treo 300 is a "nokia-style."

When people buy a bluetooth headset, like the jabra freespeak, for the Treo 300, they bought the one compatible with the "nokia-style."

So their old headset will not plug directly into their new phone. There are two downsides to an adapter:

First, it is unsightly. If you are the type of person who wants freedom for wires, as in Bluetooth, the last thing you want is another wire going in between your headset and your phone. Its bad enough that true, integrated bluetooth is unavailable in this generation of Treo's, and we have to plug in a little transmitter into the phone. Plus, it is one more thing you can break/lose.

Secondly, the only company I know that currently makes one is Seidio. I have had very bad experiences with their customer service, and the quality of their products, as have many of the users of this board. But then again, some people have had no problems with them. It depends on whether or not you want to take the risk.
    I wonder if I purchase now, if I could wait for a while before activating. That way I could get the reduced price, but I could wait for SMS before activating.
    Yes, you can do this. The phone can sit around for any length of time before activation. However, the question then is, will the Treo 600 with your discount be cheaper to buy now than it will be to buy without a discount in the future? That one's hard to gauge. It depends how far in the future and how many competing products hit the market in the meantime.
    Originally posted by mesnyder
    The 300 had a button for the command bar , which has changed to a Menu button on the 600. I haven't found a way to access the command bar on the 600 yet unless I use Jot and do the Grafitti stroke.
    I was playing with a friend's 600 today and realized that the 'Menu' button IS the command key.

Try it. Go into the app you want to use, then hit 'Menu', then hit the letter key for the command that you wanted.

BTW, I don't have a 600 yet, but this unit will ikely be the one to bring me back to Palm from PPC.
  14. p03
    quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by mesnyder
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

C'mon... Someone please tell me that the key only changed its name, and none of its functionality whatsoever...!
  15. jrv
    Here's a Treo 600 loser: Blazer can't disconnect after viewing web pages - the button is gone and there is no menu item to do it. I end up turning the phone off with the button on top.

This is unspeakably lame.
    Originally posted by jrv
    Here's a Treo 600 loser: Blazer can't disconnect after viewing web pages - the button is gone and there is no menu item to do it. I end up turning the phone off with the button on top.

This is unspeakably lame.
    thinking the same thing. If the arrows are gray, is the battery draining faster or the same as if disconnected? Didn't have the gray arrows in the 300 version, only green arrows.
    Originally posted by Bomeyer

thinking the same thing. If the arrows are gray, is the battery draining faster or the same as if disconnected? Didn't have the gray arrows in the 300 version, only green arrows.
    Are you sure about that? Green arrows show that you're connected to Vision and actively transferring data. Grey arrows mean it's an idle connection. You're connected but not transferring data. On my 300, I would always see the grey arrows after letting the connection sit for a minute. I haven't seen any change in that regard on the 600.

If the arrows are grey, there SHOULDN'T be any extra battery drain. However it's possible for the connection to go active at any point and start draining the battery. SnapperMail stil lets you disconnect. That's OK if you use it, but I'd still like the option in Blazer.
    The biggest loss is the Xiino. Although Blazer 3 is better than the one in Treo 300, some of the inherented design stupidilities are still there. So far, Xiino is the only browser that makes web browsing on PDAs a real thing not a joke.

Here is some:

* You still need left-right scrolling on lots of pages, including this website (try: www.treocentral.com). This is even more hassile with one-hand.

* It redraws the whole viewed page whenever you go back to the previous page and this redraw takes quite long for long pages. Xiino is instant. Why this is a big deal? Many news websites pop up a new window when you hit a link on a content page and you must go back after read it. Blazer is like the ancient Mosaic; Xiino is like Netscape. If you thought a web browser like Mosaic is bearable, Netscape won't have had a chance to dominate.

* Whenever you switch from Blazer to another application, you have to wait for quite a while for Blazer to close off.

* It freezes frequently while Xiino almost never. For a year now, Xiino has never failed and always got the pages I wanted.
    Originally posted by Mr. Pad

I was playing with a friend's 600 today and realized that the 'Menu' button IS the command key.

Try it. Go into the app you want to use, then hit 'Menu', then hit the letter key for the command that you wanted.

BTW, I don't have a 600 yet, but this unit will ikely be the one to bring me back to Palm from PPC.
    This is NOT correct. Several Palm apps snap their own commands into the Command Bar, enabling access from within other apps without quitting them. Two apps I used were:
    BDicty dictionary - used to allow lookups from within another app using the command bar
    AeroPlayer - MP3 Player - play/pause, stop, etc were available without quitting another app via command bar.

I very much need to find this feature again... Palm OS used to allow it to be launched by issuing a "/" stroke on the graffiti area, but typing that key on the Treo invokes no response.

I was going to post/email Handspring but was shocked to find that only SprintPCS answers support questions on the Treo 600. Those yahoos are never going to have an answer to a question like this.

Anyone out there have an answer on how to use the Command Bar on the Treo 600?!?