Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ...the i500 is the only phone that won't get you laughed out of the party when you pull it out.
    Sez who? You're partying with the WRONG people.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I've said this before, but I'll say it again...Personally, I think this Treo 600 is one step in the right direction and one step in the wrong direction. I appreciate the use of ARM/OS5, expansion memory, and the ability to play MP3s and use a voice-navigated GPS with it. Improved battery life is a big one for many, though I never had a problem with my Treo 300's battery since it came with a car adaptor and I always plug it in when I'm in the car. The integration of the D-Pad into the OS seems like a huge improvement.

The camera is a neutral. It's better than nothing, but just barely.

What I definitely don't like (as compared to the Treo 300) is the smaller screen, smaller thumbboard, and lack of built-in screen protection. Now you really need to carry it in some sort of case to protect the screen and camera lens.

In short, the Treo 600 has been designed to make the Treo 300 more phone-like, when I felt like it worked perfectly fine as a phone. What I don't like about my Treo 300 is that the screen resolution is low (compared to newer PDAs) and the thumbboard feels too uncomfortable and error-prone when even trying to type an email (YMMV). So, for me, the Treo 600 didn't address any of these issues and, in fact, took a step backwards here.

Sadly, there is no perfect device for my needs and no one has even hinted at one coming soon. The Danger Sidekick comes close in some respects but falls far short in several others. The Sony UX50 is perhaps the closest. It would require a two-piece solution, but I can live with that. What I can't really live with is the high-price, and there are several other minor issues which alone aren't a big deal, but add up to an overall disappointing user experience.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by DrDoom

Sez who? You're partying with the WRONG people.
    Just the kind in which being a "Geek" is a negative connotation (incidentally like most of the rest of the population). Hence my reason for carrying my 300 as nothing more than a wireless PDA, not a phone.

Looking at the 300 and now the 600, I'm not looking to Handspring to ever come up with anything stylish. This is why, if Hawkins remains at the design helm, Treo's will never really catch on. Look to Samsung and, potentially now Sony, to bring the Palm OS into true mass market handset acceptance.
    Originally posted by treo007

Looking at the 300 and now the 600, I'm not looking to Handspring to ever come up with anything stylish.
    I guess our definitions of stylish must be different because I see the i500 as a basic clamshell...nothing special. I think the T600 is much more stylish (especially the silver). To me, it's stylish for a phone\pda combo the way the iPod is stylish for mp3 players.
    Originally posted by webslappy

I guess our definitions of stylish must be different because I see the i500 as a basic clamshell...nothing special. I think the T600 is much more stylish (especially the silver). To me, it's stylish for a phone\pda combo the way the iPod is stylish for mp3 players.
    That's just it. It's a basic clamshell phone (albeit a pretty slick looking one IMO) that looks like a phone, not a PDA you're holding up to your ear.
    hope you find something to make you happy. i think this is the best device yet, period, end of story, had them all.
  7.    #27  
    I will ignore the personal attacks and lame attempts posted. First off, I am not some marketing ***** and you can purchase, Car power adapter, stylus, stereo headphone (stock unit sucked) travel charger. Part were ordered at Handspring the others were ordered at MobilePlanet. I was able to cancel the cradle in time to not have it ship.

Next up is that Sprint coverage in the Syracuse Market is NOT STELLAR. Sorry to say what our geography and such VzW has STELLAR coverage. I had a full charge, talked 10 minutes and the batter read 90% sorry, but it did.

Next is I knew the shortcomings and I was willing to buy and try. I had 14 days to work it out and I tried hard to like it enough to pay $150 to cancel my VzW contract. PalmOS to me has been teh best to me from my Vx, M505, TT, NX60 only until I purchased my I700, you know the phone SPCS won't carry.

PPC is not the devil and POS is not the angel not matter how you slice it. Both offer something I want and I have software for BOTH.

One thing is definite, IF I could have bought it in the store on day one or two or three I would have given it longer and deeper thought. But Syracuse is not a major market, but an affiliate market which means the (5) towers they claim will go live "soon" have been in that status since earlier this year.

They keyboard was not great and I had trouble adjusting but I got the hang of it. Handsprings lack of Support, SPCS support sucks. I will keep palm in my back pocket as my next device choice IF VzW offers one that is better.

Now as to accessories.

Dear [REMOVED],

Thank you for shopping with Handspring!

We're pleased to let you know that your order has been shipped. We appreciate your business and hope you visit our site again soon to see the latest Handspring products.

The details of your order follow:

=======================================
    ORDER NUMBER

Your order number is: xxxxxx-xxxxxx[removed]

ORDER DETAILS

The following items HAVE BEEN SHIPPED to date:

Treo Travel Charger
    (3147NA ) 1 @ $ 24.99
    Treo High-Performance Headset
    (3153WW ) 1 @ $ 14.99
    Treo Stylus 3-pack
    (3156WW ) 1 @ $ 9.99

Item SubTotal: $ 49.97

The following items are STILL OUTSTANDING on your order:

Item SubTotal: $ 0.00
    Shipping and Handling: $ 0.00
    Tax*: $ 0.00
    Duty**: $ 0.00
    ---------

Now that should put the claims that the accessories are not available. As noted I am selling a NEW HS Treo 600 travel charger for $15. WHY? It will cost me more to return it to them and I would rather help out members of the board.

Oh and I posted how many with the intent of bashing the T600, I leave that for others.
    what are you waiting for?

a machine with Super HiRes (1024x768 is enough for you) autocontrast and 1 Gb may be? autoanswer machine? Do you want your Treo to have Artificial Intelligence and respond your calls depending on your mood?
    OK, sit down and wait .. I know that when you will have all of these in your Treo 1000 you will write another memo complaining about something else...
    Meanwhile we are enjoying our Treo 600, the best smartphone in the market with no doubt.

and sorry for being rude but this is a forum for Treo fans at the end.
    Joan Lůpez i Graupera
    Barcelon@ - Catalonia
    Thanks Palm MD for sharing your honest comments. I'm still waiting for my GSM Treo 600 and this is a crucial period for me to monitor how this new unit is doing in real life, not just from those that are absolutely Treo-crazy like me but also from people that have good reasons not to keep it. When the first Treo270's came out and the massive backlight problem came to light (no pun intended) in a matter of days, I was in this forum (with a different ID) with the rest of the early adopters just cutting up Handspring like crazy and it was wild. But you know what, I stayed with Treo and here I am again, ready and willing to take a chance.

Personally though, I just wish there is another product out there that is similar (including pocket PC's) so it is easier to make a choice. No I am not interested with clamshell phones or PDA's without Thumboards and I don't care if they have BT or high res screen. . I would like to see another brand with PDA/phone combo with thumboards and the only ones out there that would come close are still the Treo 300's and 270's !
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Originally posted by jlgraupera
    what are you waiting for?

a machine with Super HiRes (1024x768 is enough for you) autocontrast and 1 Gb may be? autoanswer machine? Do you want your Treo to have Artificial Intelligence and respond your calls depending on your mood?
    OK, sit down and wait .. I know that when you will have all of these in your Treo 1000 you will write another memo complaining about something else...
    Meanwhile we are enjoying our Treo 600, the best smartphone in the market with no doubt.

and sorry for being rude but this is a forum for Treo fans at the end.
    Geez, take it easy! He said he didnít like the phone and not your mom!
    PalmMD has been around the T600 forums since the beginning waiting and anticipating just like the rest of us!
    He just said that the 600 didnít work for him.

Take a bunch of pills and relax!
    Spain will someday win the World Cup!!!
    Ha Ha haa!!

Youíre from Spain, ehh?
    I didnít notice that at first, Tell me how come Barcelona are doing really bad in la Liga!? There in 9nth spot!!!

Good luck this year, they need to do something because last year was a disaster for them.
    Good Luck
    Spain will someday win the World Cup!!!
    I can understand the frustrations. there are some real issues with this unit. read the posts.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Why do people get SO defensive about their choice in a machine? Seriously, anytime someone posts ANYTHING negative, you get a dozen people running to ridicule the person or try to convert them to their view. The treo 600 didn't work for him. So be it. I think it's great and a real step forward, but in the end it may not work for me either. Different people have different preferences so put an axe to all the nonsense and enjoy your machine or at a minimum offer something constructive instead.
    If I bought a camera I wouldn't expect it to be a very good phone.
    Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    no big deal if the camera is the only problem.
    Originally posted by iJITSU
    Why do people get SO defensive about their choice in a machine? Seriously, anytime someone posts ANYTHING negative, you get a dozen people running to ridicule the person or try to convert them to their view. The treo 600 didn't work for him. So be it. I think it's great and a real step forward, but in the end it may not work for me either. Different people have different preferences so put an axe to all the nonsense and enjoy your machine or at a minimum offer something constructive instead.
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree with this. If you read from the top, you'll see several posters that have VERY balanced responses to the original post. The first two responses said they were sorry for his dissatisfaction, for christ's sake! TreoTheo's comment was probably the most insightful comment in this whole thread, I suggest you go back and read it again.

There were only a couple of posters that were strongly negative. Much of the flaming started when tree007 pretty much said that people would laugh at you if you used a Treo at a party. If that's not flamebait, I don't know what is!

I too wish people were never rude and thought before they posted, but you need a grow thicker skin, too. Learn to filter out the people that aren't offering anything useful. Or stay off "fan" forums. They call them fans for a reason.
    The deal killer for me was Blazer. I admit, after holding a Treo 600 in my hands and using it and taking so well to the form factor, I badly wanted to make the switch from my trusty Hitachi G1000 to the Treo 600. The backlit keyboard is a pleasure to use after struggling with my non-lit G1000 keyboard in low light areas. Within a couple of minutes I found I could even type pretty well with just one thumb! Can't do that on the Hitachi.

But after coming to rely on MSIE on my Hitachi G1000 to take me to the sites that are important to me, the fact that Blazer turned out not to be compatible with some of them was a serious issue for me. There's one forum in particular where I keep in touch daily with old friends. Unfortunately it won't accept my password and log-in through Blazer. With the Hitachi and MSIE, even when I travel I can stay in touch with my friends. I don't want to give up that connectivity.

Another absurdly minor but irksome thing that leaped out to bite me in the ****--"Collapse" looks like crap on the Treo 600. I'm hopelessly addicted to that stupid game. The way the blocks are rendered on the Treo is enough to give me a migraine. Blechh!

Enough has already been said about the poor camera. I won't elaborate other than to say I share in the disappointment. Big time.

Still...if the 600 could run a more capable browser, (or perhaps I should say more widely compatible browser) I might be all over it. My G1000 is the better workhorse, but the size of it does mean it gets left on lying around more often that I care to admit. For a PDA that's not an issue. But for a cell phone, that's not so hot. Ideally it should be on my hip at all times. That was my original intention, anyway. I do try, but when I get to lifting something, or doing some kind of physical work, I have to remove the G1000 and set it down somewhere. Otherwise, it digs into me.
    MD, i am in the same boat as you. I had my treo 600 for 3 days and returned it. while i can admit it is a nice handset, especially for sprint, there were just some things that drove me batty about it. 1.) i agree the screen res. is too low. i was reminded when i saw a T2 and a T3 over the weekend and how clean and crisp text is and how beautiful the UI is in Palm 5, you loose that on the 160 x 160. 2.) no analog mode. while i am more often than not in a sprint digital area i do on occasion go outside of it. the weekend i had the phone i did and it reminded me how i could do nothing with it, i thought i could have lived with it but i can not. 3.) the camera is horrible. yes i know i do not buy a cell phone to use as a camera and most cell phone camera are sub-par but the treo's seems exceptionally bad as compared to other phones i have seen....

i am sure all of you who love the treo will get many happy years out of it, but for me it is just not the best solution. i am going to re-look at a BT phone (which most likely also means a provider switch since sprint is slow on the T608) and getting a T2 or T3 to connect with.
    Originally posted by unixmonkey
    If I bought a camera I wouldn't expect it to be a very good phone.
    true... but let me just bring this into perspective for you...

if 10 is a normal digital camera...
    5 would be a camera phone like nokia 3650...
    and the Treo 600's camera would be about a 2.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Originally posted by IanL

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with this. If you read from the top, you'll see several posters that have VERY balanced responses to the original post. The first two responses said they were sorry for his dissatisfaction, for christ's sake! TreoTheo's comment was probably the most insightful comment in this whole thread, I suggest you go back and read it again.

There were only a couple of posters that were strongly negative. Much of the flaming started when tree007 pretty much said that people would laugh at you if you used a Treo at a party. If that's not flamebait, I don't know what is!

I too wish people were never rude and thought before they posted, but you need a grow thicker skin, too. Learn to filter out the people that aren't offering anything useful. Or stay off "fan" forums. They call them fans for a reason.
    I was referencing this and many other threads in which the same thing happened. I doubt you are in any position to determine how thick my skin is, however I'll leave you with this:

You responded rebuking me for pointing out that some people cannot refrain from bashing those who feel the same way they do about X (in this case the 600). Do I need to point out that on most threads there is going to be somebody who responds to that banter with a remark about the pointlessness of such behavior? So, If I should stay off fan forums because I can't resist responding to silly negative comments, perhaps you should "grow thicker skin" or stay off "fan" forums as well if you can't refrain from responding to the person who is responding to the negative banter, no? Remove the plank from your eye before you try to remove the speck from your brothers.

All kidding aside, my point was that it's silly to take jabs at someone because they don't share your preferences. Take care.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast