Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if iTunes for windows allows you to play mp3's on your treo using Pocket Tunes? How about any of the other legal dowload services? I don't think BuyMusic works since it is .wma based.
    I'm not sure about the Windows version, but the Mac version uses ACC, not MP3 so Pocket Tunes probably won't work. I don't have a T600 yet, so I can't attest to the ability of Pocket TUnes to play ACC files.

Does that help at all?

Mike
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you have MP3s on an SD that you want iTunes to play? If the SD is mapped as a drive on your PC, iTunes should be able to play the MP3s just fine. But I don't see any way to do that using USB; you'd have to use an SD card reader to mount the SD on your PC.

If you're asking if you can play iTunes content on your Treo, it will depend on what format you use. iTunes is the only program on the PC I know of which will play AAC files, which is what the iTunes Music Store uses. If you encode your own AAC files on your PC using iTunes, they still won't play on your Treo. You'll have to stick to MP3s.

As far as I know, iTunes plays .aa (Audible), .mp3, and .aac, and that's it. The Treo only plays MP3.
    If you buy music from the iTunes Music Store it is in the AAC format. If you rip your own CD's into iTunes go to Preferences>Import and set to MP3. That way all imported music will be compatible.

If you buy from iTunes Music Store you can burn the AAC files to a CD as Audio, and then re-import them into iTunes as MP3's. I know this is a little trouble, but it does work. This works for Mac and Windows versions.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I think the question related to purchased music. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $files$ $downloaded$ $from$ $iTunes$ $as$ $a$ $purchase$ $are$ $in$ $MPEG4$ $format$. $iTunes$ $will$ $play$ $them$ $but$ $I$ $dont$ $believe$ $you$ $can$ $convert$ $them$ $to$ $MP3$ $without$ $some$ $roundabout$ $tactics$. $i$.$e$. $Burn$ $them$ $to$ $a$ $CD$ $and$ $then$ $rip$ $the$ $CD$ $to$ $MP3$. $I$ $have$ $not$ $tried$ $this$ $so$ $the$ $DRM$ $protections$ $may$ $prevent$ $this$ $working$ $or$ $leave$ $nasty$ $audio$ $artifacts$ $to$ $spoil$ $copiers$ $efforts$.

On a related topic, has anyone tried out the MissingSync on a Treo 600? Apparently it integrates directly with iTunes for Mac and with iPhoto plus it mounts your SD/MMC cards as external drives on the desktop. Very cool.
    http://www.markspace.com/missingsyncpalmos.html
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    I think the question related to purchased music. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $files$ $downloaded$ $from$ $iTunes$ $as$ $a$ $purchase$ $are$ $in$ $MPEG4$ $format$. $iTunes$ $will$ $play$ $them$ $but$ $I$ $dont$ $believe$ $you$ $can$ $convert$ $them$ $to$ $MP3$ $without$ $some$ $roundabout$ $tactics$. $i$.$e$. $Burn$ $them$ $to$ $a$ $CD$ $and$ $then$ $rip$ $the$ $CD$ $to$ $MP3$. $I$ $have$ $not$ $tried$ $this$ $so$ $the$ $DRM$ $protections$ $may$ $prevent$ $this$ $working$ $or$ $leave$ $nasty$ $audio$ $artifacts$ $to$ $spoil$ $copiers$ $efforts$.]

yes you can do this and no it doesn't "leave nasty audio artifacts" it works fine.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    We could also convince someone to write a MP4 plugin for PocketTunes if that is possible? Curently there is WAV, OggVorbis and MP3 but it has the ability for more decoders.
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    We could also convince someone to write a MP4 plugin for PocketTunes if that is possible? Curently there is WAV, OggVorbis and MP3 but it has the ability for more decoders.
    If someone can take the time to bother with Ogg Vorbis, they certainly can write some Palm Code for AAC (mp4)! Even the purchased iTunes require too much licensure to be affordable (for a company like PocketTunes), there's always the CD-burning workaround. And while it does suffer some degradation of sound compared to the original AAC, it should be fine for some tiny earbuds on a cell phone!
    I emailed PocketTunes and they have no plans to support AAC files at this point, but like you said, maybe a plug-in of some kind.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    iTunes Store tracks use some kind of DRM to prevent you from just copying the files to any old device and distributing them. yes, you can burn them to an audio cd then re-encode. But i'm pretty sure you can't just take an AAC file you bought and load it onto a friend's mac and listen to it. Along the same lines, even if a pocket tunes plugin is written, apple will have to explicitly support listening to purchased material on your treo, which I doubt they will (it would not encourage ipod sales).
    Okay, here's a dumb question -

Other than the music store, what's the big deal about iTunes?

Honest question. I keep hearing people talk about it, but I can't figure out how it's different from any other music player software, other than the online music store.
    Note: I'm a mac user so I am obviously pro itunes.

That being said it is the best mp3 player I've even used. You don't need to worry about organizing your music into folders based on artist/album/etc. You can safely let itunes handle that. As long as you have decent ID3 tags on your files, you can just drag and drop you MP3 to the program and not worry about where the files are being stored or that the files have funky file names.

When you want to listen to you music just browse by genre, etc, and you can burn any playlist to audio cd, or as an mp3 cd. It supports spanning multiple discs.

It has tons of free radio streams built-in, and you can add others.

You can create smart-playlists that select songs based on criteria you select and auto update themselves after you add new mp3s. Criteria like: genre, year, artist, album; and they can randomly permute as well, like randoming selecting 25 top rated songs from the 1980s.

Excellent iPod integration.

Great UI, and very stable. None of that nasty winamp multiple window gui with the atrocious 'thinger'. And it's free for full functionality, unlike musicmatch which only gives you free streaming for a limited time and restricts cd burning to 2x.

Windows version available now. I just download it today and without any configuration I can listen to all music on my powerbook over wifi on my PC and vice versa.
    iTunes is far superior to all the Windows players I've used (and I've tried at least 10) as far as ease of navigation to the songs I want to get to and creating playlists. The interface is just faster to use.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    iTunes is far superior to all the Windows players I've used (and I've tried at least 10) as far as ease of navigation to the songs I want to get to and creating playlists. The interface is just faster to use.
    Have you tried MusicMatch lately? I tried out itunes and while I liked it, it hardly seemed "far superior" to MusicMatch.
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    Alex:

I agree! iTunes for the PC is absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    As far as desktop software goes, through headphones Foobar2000 sounds better than any other program and it's "GUI" totally rocks.

More on topic -- anyone know what tags Pocket Tunes supports?
    Is it possible to download iTunes from the web using the Blazer browser? I can't see any use of iTunes in conjunction with the Treo 600 if those files don't work (and they don't even when burned to a disc as they can't be converted). If that truly is the case, does anyone have any suggestions on a mp3 pruchasing site similar to iTunes that would be Treo 600 compatible? I hope there is some solution because the mp3 player would be my K-app on this device; but, what is the point if the only music you can pull mp3's from are from illegal file sharing and purchased CD (which totally goes against the point of having mp3 files)? For the record, I am entirely displeased with iTunes for having such an incompatible file format.
    Have you tried MusicMatch lately? I tried out itunes and while I liked it, it hardly seemed "far superior" to MusicMatch.
    I have used quite a few of the music organizers out there. I cannot believe MusicMatch is considered the best. It is aboslutely clunky to use and looks horrible.

iTunes will steal the show on Windows as well.
    well, as i had no reply yet, i did a quick search of what may be interesting. it seems that Napster is going to be launching 29 oct 03, and will be styled similarly to iTunes--but will be compatible with windows media player. this sounds good, but would anyone have a guess if it works with pocket tunes? i sent an email to a napster rep to get their imput. if anyone is interested, i will post that reply here once received.
    Originally posted by Sierra Nevada

I have used quite a few of the music organizers out there. I cannot believe MusicMatch is considered the best. It is aboslutely clunky to use and looks horrible.

iTunes will steal the show on Windows as well.
    Believe it, Musicmatch was and in some ways still is considered the best out there, especially for burning and ripping to cds.

http://tinyurl.com/rbsj
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast