Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I waited six long months for the day when I'd lay my hands on the T600, the apparent perfect marriage of phone and PDA. I sat at my desk yesterday, checking fedex.com every 15 minutes to see if my phone had been delivered. I rushed home at lunch to see my new baby. I slept just 3 hours last night, after spending hours getting the 600 fully tricked out.

It was fun while it lasted. On my 15 minute drive home from the office, I dropped 3 calls on Sprint--more drops than I've had in my entire 2 years as an AT&T customer.

I'd love to keep the 600, but ultimately, it has to work as a phone. I'm bummed that Sprint's service is so poor in my area.

I'll be packing the phone up this weekend and sending it back to HS and cancelling my sprint service.

Anyone else have to send their baby back?

Wait, I'm sure there are plenty of other cities with better Sprint coverage. Maybe I can find a new job, sell my house and convince my wife and child to move to a more Treo friendly city.
    That's my fear too. I live in Portland and am on T-mobile. They have horrible service here, so I figured anything would be an improvement.

I asked around about Sprint and get different answers.

Where do you live?
  3.    #3  
    This sad story is unfolding in Norfolk, VA. Hope you have better luck in Portland.
    That's weird. Granted I don't live in Norfolk, but I was just up there visiting friends. Actually I was in Newport News and Denbeigh, but we went to the base in Norfolk several times and I didn't have any trouble. Sorry to hear of your woe.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by quistk99
    I waited six long months for the day when I'd lay my hands on the T600, the apparent perfect marriage of phone and PDA. I sat at my desk yesterday, checking fedex.com every 15 minutes to see if my phone had been delivered. I rushed home at lunch to see my new baby. I slept just 3 hours last night, after spending hours getting the 600 fully tricked out.

It was fun while it lasted. On my 15 minute drive home from the office, I dropped 3 calls on Sprint--more drops than I've had in my entire 2 years as an AT&T customer.

I'd love to keep the 600, but ultimately, it has to work as a phone. I'm bummed that Sprint's service is so poor in my area.

I'll be packing the phone up this weekend and sending it back to HS and cancelling my sprint service.

Wait, I'm sure there are plenty of other cities with better Sprint coverage. Maybe I can find a new job, sell my house and convince my wife and child to move to a more Treo friendly city.
    I get stellar service in Los Angeles...too bad man.
    Just out of curiosity who were the people you were calling? Were they on their cellular phones as well? I've had some strange things happen to me in the past when I'm on Verizon and I call my girlfriend and she has a Sprint phone, the calls would sometime drop or not even ring at all. When I use my Sprint phone to call her Sprint phone, then it works well.

Are all the callers you're calling on landline or mobile? If mobile, it may be the other end, or it could be Provider to Provider? Don't know...sorry man.
    my 600 gets great reseption, better than the 300 or i500. My phone always looses the signal on my elevator. The 600 on the elevator today never lost its signal

Hey what happened to what i posted?

Sorry to hear that. Did you turn off digital roaming? Maybe Sprint's network had a bad day when you had th edropped calls. Give it more time. I am loving mine.
    Sorry to hear that. Did you watch the signal strength when the calls dropped? Did you set the phone to no digital roaming? Maybe Sprint had a bad day when you tried it. I'd recommend giving it more time. Drive around the area and see how the service is.

Last edited by newtreouser; 10/16/2003 at 09:42 PM.
    I was a long time ATTWS user (thought at the time that Nokia had the absolute BEST phones out there), and tended to have problems all the time where I live (suburb north of Dallas). Then I went to VZW for the express purpose of getting the 6035 (also tended to have dropped calls), and last yr I jumped over to SPCS for the Treo. I have had AWEsome coverage with Sprint, specifically compared to Verizon and ATT Wireless. So - I guess it's all about where you are. Cuz after all - if you're there, that's where you ah.
    I'm really sorry to hear you folks are having such poor reception & coverage.

I just upgraded last Friday and I can't get over the improvement. I now get reception in the basement of the building where I work (40+ stories) and this was not possible on the Treo 300. Whenever I went downstairs to the deli I had to end my call as I got on the escalator. Not anymore!!!

My new Treo 600 works better than I have ever hoped. I've also stopped dropping call in certain areas of the interstate and I now have coverage in EVERY room of my house instead of just the livingroom and kitchen.

I had to go to the windy city of Chicago yesterday and I even had better reception there.

You folks may not have a problem with location, it could be a "faulty" unit or it just needs local provising.
    Last edited by norpah; 10/16/2003 at 08:45 PM.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    This sad story is unfolding in Norfolk, VA. Hope you have better luck in Portland.
    You're kidding right? I travel to Norfolk and conduct business in the airport area and least once a month and have never had trouble receiving Sprint's signals. I almost always get full bars on my Sanyo 4500.

Did you goto the SPrint store to do a quick software update on it? That normally helps because it tells the phone where the newest towers are.

Dizzy
    I agree!! I was just in Norfolk about two months ago. Traveled around the city, near the naval base, even around VA Beach and the chesapeake br. Never had a problem and that was with my T300. You should get a diagnostic before you pack the baby up....
  13.    #13  
    I just noticed that my phone has something loose inside (I can hear a rattle when i shake it). Anyone know if that's what could be causing my poor reception?

Gosh. I've only had it for 24 hours and haven't even dropped it.
    I live in Virginia Beach and commute frequently to ODU in Norfolk and I have never had a problem with dropped calls on Sprint.
    hah! funny...mine rattles too.
    Originally posted by keithmeyer
    hah! funny...mine rattles too.
    The rattle comes from the wireless mode on/off button. If you put you fingertip on it while you shake, rattle is gone.
    I just noticed that my phone has something loose inside (I can hear a rattle when i shake it). Anyone know if that's what could be causing my poor reception?

Gosh. I've only had it for 24 hours and haven't even dropped it.
    why don't take it to your Sprint Store and exchange it for a new (just in case) and see if you just have a bad phone. It's really worth the effort to give it a second chance.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    He said he bought it from Handspring.

BTW, how are you planning to cancel your Sprint service? Didn't you sign a contract? It's $150 to break their contract.
  19.    #19  
    I did figure out last night that the rattle is coming from the power button (see above post).

Fortunately, I signed up month to month with sprint to make sure the coverage was adequate, so getting out should be no problem (although I'm not expecting a refund of my activation fee and 1st month's bill). Even if I had been in a contract with sprint, I would hope they'd let me out of the contract if i couldn't get service in their area (yeah, i can imagine trying to get them to do that)

Sprint is handling all repairs/returns for the 600, even if you bought it from Handspring. Sprint, in their usual poor customer service fashion, wanted me to bring the handset into a store and have someone look at it there. I finally got someone at HS to agree to send me a replacement unit. My fingers are crossed.
    Hope it works out for ya. We don't need any unhappy T600 users out there! Good luck to you!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast