1.    #1  
    Hi All, I am a new adopter of the Treo line and have lurked on this board for the past few months. You have all provided me valuable insight. However, here is my rather long saga of poor customer service by Handspring. I ordered my 600 on 10/13 via the website. I had it delivered FedEx Overnight and settled in for a long wait, given the problems experienced by those that ordered on the 9th. Much to my surprise, and immense delight, I discovered last night that it had been picked up in Utah at 3:32pm. So with bated breath, and a few anesthicizing adult beverages I awaited the 10/16 delivery. I woke up this morning despondent about the Cubbies, but with the expectation of being an "early adopter" of Handspring's newest marvel. Based on the forum, I went out and purchased a card reader and 256 card. But when I returned home, the Fed Ex website indicated that it was still in Oakland. I called Fed Ex and they told me that it was stuck in Oakland and that I should recieve it tomorrow. Darnit!! Okay, calm down, its just a phone, right? Called Handspring and spoke to one agent who told me that I should be lucky that I was even getting it this soon. Now forgive me, but I didn't need her to tell me that...I know the frustraion of others on this forum snd feel fortunate that I was getting it so soon. I asked to speak to a supervisor, because I wanted find out about a partial refund. I then spoke to the rudest, most impertinent individual.
    His name is Jaeson [extension removed] who proceeded to tell me that I would receive no refund, however, he would be happy to phone Fed Ex and have them hold the package (for ground delivery) and refund the difference. He then told me that I could not speak to a manager, but that a manager would contact me in 3-5 business days. He would not provide me with an address for Handspring, stated that it is "public information" and available on the internet or from information. It basically went downhill from there. Mind you, that the agent who I originally spoke to adamantly stated that Handspring does not offer overnight delivery and that could not have possibly selected that on their website. I offered to fax it to them, but they would not provide a fax number. I know that I may not garner much sympathy from some, but this is my first experience with Handspring and I was hopeful that there customer service department would be marginally more helpful then some at Sprint. Side note: Fed Ex customer service called me back and apologized profusely for their error. I am so sorry for the length of this, but I did not recount my entire encounter with Jason...it would have been much longer...Viva la Treo!!
    Crap... this Jason is one of two Jasons on their staff. I originally ordered from [named removed] (excellent help and great attitude). When my order failed and I needed to replace the order, I got this [named removed] - a CSR that I hope to never deal with again.

Call back and ask for the other [named removed].
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Yeah, from the sounds of it, I think I've dealt with that Jason, too. He makes you feel like even though you sent Handspring your $$, they are doing you this great favor by sending you what you paid for. I got confused for a split second when dealing with this character. For a second, I thought I was dealing with a terrible SprintPCS rep.
    Originally posted by FlyNTreo600
    I ordered my 600 on 10/13 via the website. I had it delivered FedEx Overnight and settled in for a long wait, given the problems experienced by those that ordered on the 9th.

<snip>

I asked to speak to a supervisor, because I wanted find out about a partial refund.

I've placed 3 orders online at HS and overnight shipping was never an option, nor have I seen anyone else report it as an option. Ground and 2 day delivery is all they offer.

Second, why would you ask the merchant for a partial refund? Partial refund for what? Shipping charges? That's a shipper's issue, not HS. HS has absolutely no control over what happens to your package once FedEx picks it up.
    Let me understand this........it's in the FedEx network and you are asking Handspring for a refund because FedEx did not deliver it as soon as you hoped? That sounds unreasonable to me.
    Fly... I just went through the same thing with FedEX. I paid for next day shipping, guaranteed before 3:00PM the next day, and there was a hold up in Oakland. I called FedEx and they said they had a mechanical failure and didn't meet their obligation of overnight delivery... they were very nice about it and said I should call HS and request a partial refund, (which they would most vertainly honor with HS. They were aware of the problem, admitted fault, and were willing to make proper restitution). I spoke to Jason at HS also and he said they don't offer overnite shipping, (even thought that was the explicit option I chose). BTW, I ordered 2 Treo 600's and one of them arrived and on the shipping invoice from HS it clearly listed overnite delivery. Jason refused to believe this and pretty much just pissed me off to the point that I do intend to follow this up with his superiors. I don't really care about the $6.00 difference, but they had a contractual obligation they didn't meet and refuse to acknowledge this. Very poor customer service if you ask me.

Hey George_VC... you are totally wrong about this not being Handsprings fault, FedEX has absolutely no recourse with the receiving customer in this case, only with the contracted party which is HS. You might want to rethink your faulty logic here.

JTG
    Ya JTG13 I see your point. I also suppose that it is coincidence that you talked to the same Handspring rep, and that it was held up in the same sorthub in the FedEx network, and it is also coincidence that you just signed up for this ID registered minutes ago on treo central. No need to act like a new person to bolster your position on this.
    Rastoma, I've got a shipping invoice that proves you wrong. HS does offer overnight FedEX delivery, (they call it next day delivery guaranteed by 3:00pm otherwise known as Express service). In fact, the only delivery options available at the time I placed my orders were overnight or 2nd day. Could be different shipping options for different physical locations ( I live in So. Cal), but those were my only options at order time. Also, only HS can resolve the shipping issues with FedEX since we are the third party and not directly contracting with FedEX... we are directly contracting with HS. But, HS is unwilling to make the effort even though FedEX has no problem with a rate adjustment for this shipment due to their delivery problems, but the rae adjustment request MUST be made by HS. You have come to a faulty conclusion in your assertion that a third party can make a demand of restitution to FedEX. A third party can only make a demand of restitution to the second party who must make the demand to the primary carrier.

JTG
    Alright George, I see you want to be difficult about this. It is totally consistent that if FedEX had a problem this would be seen by a number of people shipping packages through the same FedEX terminal that had the mechanical failure reported to me by FedEX. Following is the tracking information I have directly from FedEX that shows the issue clearly.

As you can see, this was shipped overnight at 4:49 on Oct 15. It won't arive until Oct. 17. Not overnight. This is 2nd day shipping, and yet I paid for overnight.

As soon as I receive this delivery tomorrow I will post the FedEX tracking number for you to verify if you wish. I'm sure you will need to verify this yourself to believe it.

I hope you notice this post is only minutes after you replied to me. I really had no time to make this up and is truly factual information.

Tracking number
    64xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Ship date
    Oct 15, 2003

Delivery location
    COLTON CA
    Service type
    Standard Overnight

Date/Time

Status

Comments

Oct 16, 2003 9:46 pm

Arrived at Sort Facility

LOS ANGELES CA

2:49 pm

Left FedEx Sort Facility

OAKLAND CA

2:40 pm

Left FedEx Sort Facility

OAKLAND CA

Oct 15, 2003 11:11 pm

Arrived at Sort Facility

OAKLAND CA

9:02 pm

Left FedEx Ramp

SALT LAKE CITY UT

8:09 pm

Arrived at FedEx Ramp

SALT LAKE CITY UT

7:01 pm

Left FedEx Origin Location

OREM UT

4:49 pm

Picked up by FedEx

OREM UT
    L
    Although I do think this thread is a bit ridiculous, I would say that Handspring does in fact have FedEx Overnight (Express) shipping. It's $14.50 and I did it myself. Go through an order until you get to the page that has the Shipping Methods link listed on the left and you'll see it listed.

That said, FlyNTreo600, I think you need to take a serious chill pill. You said it yourself "Okay, calm down, its just a phone, right?".

FedEx screwed up. You phone is a day later. Boo Hoo! You call Handspring and cry about it? The Handspring site had been saying that the 600 was backordered a week, so it's not like they didn't deliver.

Getting excited over the phone is cool. Getting nutso over it is entirely different. Get a grip dude!

And yes george_vc, I wouldn't doubt if they were in fact the same person. But who knows, it could be psycho twins separated at birth, too!
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Ya JTG13 I see your point. I also suppose that it is coincidence that you talked to the same Handspring rep, and that it was held up in the same sorthub in the FedEx network, and it is also coincidence that you just signed up for this ID registered minutes ago on treo central. No need to act like a new person to bolster your position on this.
    George, why do you even care if they're the same person. He came in here had a problem and all you want to do is belittle his issue. It's a valid issue. It's frustrating when a company doesn't deliver on the promise. Yes, it's only a phone but people like their toys. The whole issue he was talking about was that HS wasn't even willing to have a little bit of customer service (seems like this CSR honestly as the two people I've talked to have been great). Lighten up and try not to worry about issues that don't really concern you. You're being an ***. Let the guy have his issue.

Josh

PS.. Overnight delivery is definitely possible as that is what I used
    Last edited by JoshFink; 10/17/2003 at 08:46 AM.
    From Handspring.com
    Tracking number xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Ship date Oct 16, 2003
    Estimated delivery date Oct 17, 2003 by 3:00 pm

Delivery location NASHVILLE TN
    Service type Standard Overnight

Date/Time Status Location
    Oct 17, 2003 8:24 am Arrived at FedEx Destination Location NASHVILLE TN
    5:08 am Left FedEx Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN
    1:18 am Arrived at Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN
    1:18 am Arrived at Sort Facility MEMPHIS TN
    Oct 16, 2003 9:03 pm Left FedEx Ramp SALT LAKE CITY UT
    7:47 pm Arrived at FedEx Ramp SALT LAKE CITY UT
    6:44 pm Left FedEx Origin Location OREM UT
    12:29 pm Picked up by FedEx OREM UT
    From e-mail from Handspring
    =======================================
    SHIPPING DETAILS
    =======================================

Shipped via Express to:
    Last edited by jimbear; 10/17/2003 at 08:45 AM.
    Josh...actually I never challenged if overnight service was available. My first point was simply "my opinion" was his rant to HS was unreasonable when it was a FedEx problem. I am also entitled to that opinion. My second post was that he did not need to pretened to be two different posters to bolster his point. I stll believe in both of those positions. It's a phone not a matched kidney.
  15.    #15  
    Whew, lots of healthy discourse on this forum. Admitedly, my "rant" could be percieved by some as being a tad overboard. Honestly, having lurked on this forum for a new of months, I felt as though my fervor for this device was somewhat in line with others who have posted their opinons, comments, frustrations...Members such as George are certainly entitled to their opinion and as a new member I absolutely welcome the varying opinions. However, I would like to clear up a few issues and hopefully, at least from my perspective, put an end to this thread.
    My original motive for posting was to vent, share and determine whether others had experienced rude behavior by Handspring CSR's. I work for a major airline and am well aware of the potential for aircrafts to be rerouted, grounded, etc. I have no quarrels with Fed Ex, because the treated me with a modicum of respect. The Fed Ex CSR suggested that I speak with Handspring. I thought that her suggestion was a bit strange, given the problem existed with the shipping company and not the shipper, but I thought "what the heck." That is when I experienced the cluelessness of the Handspring CSR and the condescending attitude from her superior.
    Granted, they are under an extreme amount of pressure, but to take that out on the customer---well it doesn't exactly endear yourself to the customer.
    Having shelled out over $700 for the 600 and assorted accessories, you must be crazy to think that my major issue is the nominal refund that I would recieve on the difference between overnight and ground shipping. And by the by---I live in Arizona so contrary to other posters and the Handspring CSR, overnight shipping is available. My concern is that I established a relationship (hopefully long term) with this company and I hope that Jason's behavior does not speak volumes for the integrity of the company. If I have a technical problem, will I experience the same type of treatment from other Jason's?
    As for the implication that I may be posting under multiple names---well, there is nothing that I can say that would convince the naysayers. I am a newbie and I trust that when my Treo arrives today, that I will have countless questions. I look forward to the burgeoning relationship that I hopefullly established with the people on this forum. Viva la Treo!!
  16.    #16  
    9:13a Arizona time, and Treo has arrived...Viva la Treo and Fed Ex