1.    #1  
    All, just got my Treo 600 on Orange in the UK and am trying to sync my old Treo180 stuff across.

The 180 sync's fine with Linux using the visor driver, but the 600 usb prod ID isn't recognised by it.

Anyone hacked this yet?
    Hi,
    I'm having the same problem. What flavour of Linux are you using? I've got Suse 8.2 Pro and what's interesting is that if I press the Treo's sync button then look in Control Center - Yast2 modules - Hardware - Hardware information - USB, it does detect a Palm Handheld device and identifies the vendor as being Handspring. I don't understand why the kernel doesn't pick it up when I try to sync.
    Sorry I couldn't help. If I find an answer I'll post it here.
    Andy.
    You would think that HS would support Linux more since it is a viable alternative to the evil empire that they are up against. Many of the anti-MS users will use Palm handheld devices, and this is why Palm supports the Mac, but the Linux GUI is almost identical to the MS GUI and it is faster.
    try

/dev/ttyUSB0

in your communications thing...i used to have linux and am a bit rusty but i just got the power pack thing and will be using it again
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    The easiest way is to get the source for the usb driver and add the Prod ID to it and compile and install. I've done this when I got brand spanking new nvidia cards and their linux drivers weren't ready for it.
  6. PxT
    Originally posted by mrljt
    The easiest way is to get the source for the usb driver and add the Prod ID to it and compile and install. I've done this when I got brand spanking new nvidia cards and their linux drivers weren't ready for it.
    If you search google for the terms: treo 600 linux

you will find a patch which does exactly this. However, I have not been able to get it to work. My machine just refuses to see a device on /dev/ttyUSB0. The patch author claims it works correctly for him. If anyone has better luck please let us know which kernel version you are running and if you had to do anything other than patch to get it to work.

Incidentally if you don't want to patch you should be able to pass the correct product ID to the visor module when you load it. The exact syntax is documented in the kernel docs somewhere...
    hehe... i'd help and hack at the driver, but..... I don't have a treo600 yet!!! ARgggggggghhhhhh!

Soon though, although I expect others will beat me to it in completing the support before t-mo comes out with the treo-600 .
  8.    #8  
    Ok I've hacked the patch into 2.4.20 and I'm running redhat 9.

It all seems to be working with pilot-xfer and jpilot, but evo just refuses to see it, I think its still got some thing going on with my old 180.

Oh and how the heck do I get some ogg's onto it? if you try and pilot-xfer them on it says it can't read them? (I know its going to take again, I just want to see if it works)
    Hello, glad you've got it working.
    Would you mind posting some simple directions on how you patched your system to get the Treo recognised? I've got the patch in a text file but I get an error when I try to apply it, something about a malformed line 4. Do I just need to patch and recompile the driver, or does the kernel need recompiling? I'm fairly new to Linux but not afraid to experiment, I just need a few pointers! If you could tell me what you did I may be able to work out what to do to my system. I'm sure it will be of use to others too.
    Any info greatly appreciated.
    Thanks. Andy.
  10. PxT
    If you have the driver setup as a module already you should only need to recompile that one module to add support, not the whole kernel.

If you are getting malformed errors, your patch may be corrupt. It should be a small patch, so you could probably just add the changes in manually to visor.c. (If you don't know how to read a patch file, lines that start with - (minus) are lines that get deleted from your original source file, lines that start with + (plus) are lines that get added. Everything else is just context.) You should have either two or four lines to add, depending on kernel version. The command: 'patch < your_patchfile.txt' should take care of applying it for you automatically.

Once you have the patch applied, just 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'. modprobe the new driver, and voila.... (hopefully)
    Originally posted by ldormon
    Ok I've hacked the patch into 2.4.20 and I'm running redhat 9.
    Can you send me the patch (or the modified visor.c and visor.h files)? or post the new patch?
    Originally posted by PxT

My machine just refuses to see a device on /dev/ttyUSB0.
    According to the kernel documentation, you need to use /dev/ttyUSB1 instead of ttyUSB0 for most devices. That's working great here, using the 2.6.0-test8 kernel.
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
    Originally posted by PxT

Once you have the patch applied, just 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'. modprobe the new driver, and voila.... (hopefully)
    OK I've applied the patch, but 'make modules' fails with 'Makefile:34: /Rules.make: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/Rules.make'. Stop.'

I'm perhaps getting a bit off-topic now and I've yet to do a detailed Google on this bit, but any help would be gratefully appreciated. If I can crack this, then I've cleared my last hurdle to dumping Windows completely!

Andy
    Just a data point: I always used /dev/ttyUSB1 with my Visor and Treo 180, but since I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.0-test8 to get the Treo 600 patch, my T600 shows up on /dev/ttyUSB2 and /dev/ttyUSB3 (so /dev/ttyUSB3 is the one to use with sync software).

You can check the dmesg or other log output to see which ports are getting attached when you hit the sync button.

I previously used the Gnome Pilot control panel to set the ID on my Visor and Treo, but I can't get that to work any more; I used the install-user program from pilot-link to do it with the T600.

Thanks,
    Bill Gribble
  15. PxT
    Speaking of Linux, I just posted a message in the Software board which includes a perl script you can use in Linux to sync your Treo Pictures database. Handy if you take a bunch of pictures and don't want to upload them all OTA.

Ideally this would be a Kpilot conduit, but I don't know C++, so I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader....