Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just asked this question in another thread, but thought the subject deserved a thread of it's own...

If anyone has any luck activating a T600 purchased directly from Handspring on the Verzion Wireless network, could you please keep us posted?

We Verzion users would be forever grateful if we learn that voice & data worked flawlessly

(I know, I'm dreaming)
    I'm dreaming too but hoping that someone can try it and discover if voice and data work before the HS Treo 600 CDMA discount deadline of Oct 29th.

Others have mentioned it would involve getting a MSL code from HS which unlocked the phone software for Verizon to possibly add their own software and then activate it. Maybe any palm software needed for Verizon's network could be from their software for the Kyocera 7135.

Does anyone with connections to Verizon technical or HS technical have any insights, experience, or things you've heard?

The HS technical support I talked to yesterday said just to keep checking the website for an update. He wouldn't answer my question directly about Verizon (non-disclosure) but there was a twinkle in his voice tone...not any type of reliable source.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    There is a guy at howardforums.com that sells unlock codes for Sprint phones. I bought one and used it to unlock an SPH I500 which I got to work on my Verizon account with the help of a cooperative Verizon employee. The voice worked fine, but the data wouldn't work even though I tried to manipulate the data network it was working with. My guess is that someone more tech savvy than me could have done it.
    If anyone is interested in trying a Treo 600 on Verizon, I can provide the MSL. Email me if interested.
    Got my MSL and a week's headache of Sprint being unable to make Vision work. So before I return the phone, I think I'll take a crack at activating it on Verizon.

Regarding the data network, I note that there are only two options in the Network preferences: Sprint Provisioning and PCS Vision. I can't even figure out how to add in a standard dial-up ISP like on the old 180. Any insight would be appreciated on how to work around this or on how I'll need to set the various advanced options: HA Password, Primary & Secondary HA, Tunneling, MN-HA SPI, and MN-AAA SPI.

I'll be visiting the tech around 4pm today. I'll let you know the results.
    If anyone has a Kycera 7135 on Verizon they might be able to reveal some of the settings necessary. Your tech may even install some palm software on the Treo 600 from Verizon's software for 7135. I'm just guessing at this, I don't have the tech knowledge myself.

Perhaps non-palm data phones would have to set similar preferences as well. You could post your settings question on the Verizon forumn at Howard Forumns.

Good luck. Thanks for trying it. We look forward to hearing how it went.
    This is a link to a thread in the FAQ section of Smartphonesource. These are the settings I use on my 7135.
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5385
    So no luck I'm afraid. Made the mistake of talking directly to the manager who promptly scanned the serial # and concluded that no phone not in the database can be activated. So unless someone out there has access to or knows someone with access to that database, we're out of luck for now.

That said, I did figure out how to add a new high-speed wireless connection. Just use the menu button from the network prefs page! But it won't do me any good now I'm afraid.
    Thanks or trying. Maybe another store will be more open to trying....unless your serial number is now on some blacklist.
    Did you go to a Verizon Wireless store?
    Yes, I called around to find a VWz store with a tech on site that said they could help activate a non-VWz phones.
    I called into the Verizon cust support and simply told them I'd like to put a new ESN on my account. In my first call the lady refused to add the ESN as it "wasn't in the database", but the second call the lady went ahead and did it anyways(didn't even mention the database). Supposedly, they had the ESN associated with a "pc card".... So, I WAS able to get the ESN into their system.

I haven't been able to update my PRL. When you dial *228, you are still using the old PRL and get directed to the Sprint switch for activation. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Sounds like pstrasma needs swap his phone (MSL unlocked but can't get on Verizon database) with alawishous (MSL locked but can get on verizon database)??
    PRL stands for Preferred Roaming List? Is this what is unlocked by the MSL? Do you also need new firmware installed on the Treo 600 that is different from Sprints?
    Last edited by mwelp; 10/17/2003 at 11:10 PM.
    To clarify, I have unlocked my phone with the MSL, which allows me to change my programmed phoen number(MDN) and Mobile System ID(MSID), which allows me to get on a different network.
    There must be a website somewhere that explains processes of unlocking phones and steps/details. Does anyone know of one?
    Originally posted by alawishous
    To clarify, I have unlocked my phone with the MSL, which allows me to change my programmed phoen number(MDN) and Mobile System ID(MSID), which allows me to get on a different network.
    Can you give us all some details as to how you did that? Did you do it on a T600, or a different phone?

Thanks!

Mike
    to answer my own question, looks like there is a wealth of information at
    http://www.cellphonehacks.com
    Lots of useful information is scattered about. No one has posted clear instructions for the Treo 600 that I could find.
    That's a good resource. Howard Forums also has some notes about this topic. Wish I'd browsed there before attempting my switch. Of note to the conversation above is Frail's post at http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0&pagenumber=2

"To add to what Bugwart already said, in order for the PRL to be loaded on your phone, the ESN has to be already active on the account and the MSL must be set to all zeros. Then you would use *228 01-07(whichever option gives you a Verizon message)."
    I have activated my ESN with Verizon(you can't change you MSL), and changed my MSID and MDN(Phone Number), but when I try to dial *228, I get transfered to Sprint to activate the phone. This is why I've concluded the PRL needs to be changed to get to the Verizon network... I imagine this can be done if you can get your phone to an area where there is no Sprint PCS coverage, but where you are on digital roaming. From here, I imagine you can dial *228 to get the local carriers PRL... that's assuming they don't transfer you to a Sprint Switch!

Originally posted by pstrasma
    That's a good resource. Howard Forums also has some notes about this topic. Wish I'd browsed there before attempting my switch. Of note to the conversation above is Frail's post at http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0&pagenumber=2

"To add to what Bugwart already said, in order for the PRL to be loaded on your phone, the ESN has to be already active on the account and the MSL must be set to all zeros. Then you would use *228 01-07(whichever option gives you a Verizon message)."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast