1.    #1  
    Hello, there.

Chatter for the Treo 600 is almost ready for release (supporting the 5-way, ringtones, etc.) People who don't know what it is might do some reading on the Treo 300 or Communications software boards.

I'll post full details next week on this board (unless the moderator moves the thread, which he shouldn't, because this is entirely Treo 600 specific)...

Marc

p.s. I am NOT supporting the Treo300 and Treo270 anymore (sorry), although accounts still in use on those machines will remain active.
    Marc has outdone himself ... again.
    Looking forward to trying it. Didn't get it for my 300, but I'm ready to jump onboard with the 600.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Somebody please explain what Chatter is, please. I am interested, I think.....
    Cool. I'll help you test it again Marc. Can't wait.
    Originally posted by Ayrow
    Somebody please explain what Chatter is, please. I am interested, I think.....
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/search.php?s=
    Welcome back Marc. Glad that you are back working on Chatter. It is absolutely best IM software.
    I would love to test it for you.... but I am still waiting for my Treo600.... :-(.. ordered it from handspring on 10.09.03 and it has not yet arrived.

-chiru
    can someone post a web page where i can take a look at this chatter program?
    Originally posted by treo600mad
    can someone post a web page where i can take a look at this chatter program?
    Here is the chatter forum.

http://www.imchatter.com/solidclient/ForumClient.php

You can get more information by searching the Treocentral discussion groups -> communication software for chatter.

I don't know of a place where you can get the software and also read about chatter.

-chiru
    thanks for the wise answer, but the searching for this forum and most forums really is useless. It took me 2 hours the other day to find a phone number to get a good sprint rep who will give me a deal. I know that at least 20 people had gotten the deal and there were about 20 threads, but alas looking for 877 and service credit got nothing. I've written search engines for a living (most famous being one that ZDNet.com used to use). Recommending that someone search these forums is just silly.
    Who wins in the slugfest? Why?
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

thanks for the wise answer, but the searching for this forum and most forums really is useless. It took me 2 hours the other day to find a phone number to get a good sprint rep who will give me a deal. I know that at least 20 people had gotten the deal and there were about 20 threads, but alas looking for 877 and service credit got nothing. I've written search engines for a living (most famous being one that ZDNet.com used to use). Recommending that someone search these forums is just silly.
    You just need to know how to narrow it. Since he mentioned this was originally for the Treo 300, one has to assume there have been discussions about it in that forum.

Searching on "Chatter" in the Treo 300 forum narrows down the results...and you can quckly find the chatter forums posted above by doing that...or better yet, since the original poster is obviously the developer, try searching on his name and I bet you find some relavent info.

Yes, I agree. That was a little obnoxious, especially since searching for "Chatter" gives you about 40 responses, mostly consisting of "I don't use Verichat, I use Chatter!" with no more information about what it even is.

I don't mean to be snarky, it's just the truth. I use the search engine a lot and don't find it useless, though.

It's funny posting a reply in a forum with a link to another forum. No offense chiru, but the Chatter forum actually doesn't seem to have much any real information about the features/description for what Chatter is! I got it now that it's a beta IM client, but that's about it.
    Would be more than happy to test a beta on my Orange 600. Always been a happy user of the beta on my old 270.
    Originally posted by mo-bile

You just need to know how to narrow it. Since he mentioned this was originally for the Treo 300, one has to assume there have been discussions about it in that forum.

Searching on "Chatter" in the Treo 300 forum narrows down the results...and you can quckly find the chatter forums posted above by doing that...or better yet, since the original poster is obviously the developer, try searching on his name and I bet you find some relavent info.
    That's true, in this case it's actually more useful, because there are some hints to go by. All I really wanted to know about Chatter was a one line description or just a couple of words, something like "Chatter is a combined IM client like Verichat or Trillian." then maybe something like, "You can find the website at..." or "There is currently no central source of information on it such as a FAQ or Website." I don't think that would have been a lot to mention considering that 8 people posted about it and two asked what it was before someone came up with an answer.

Furthermore I could (probably rightfully) claim that this should be in the software discussion part of the forum and not in either Treo 300 or 600.

I guess I was just frustrated, by such a promising thread not being very useful because it wasn't explained what it was and then a user giving a flippant answer, equivalent of "well I could tell you and save you and everyone else a ton of effort, but instead let everyone spend their time finding it out for themselves."
  16.    #16  
    Hmm, I'll try...

"Chatter is a contact-oriented, multi-IM/IMAP email client intended for chatting independent of service (i.e. email, Y, MSN, ICQ, or AIM)."

For a full-featured eMail client, I use SnapperMail, yet for most personal use, Chatter is more than sufficient (of course, you need an IMAP host; I recommend FastMail.fm). The nice thing about Chatter's eMail capability is that it is TRUE push, unlike (for example) PushMail, which isn't.

Re: What board this should be on. Chatter is only being supported now on the Treo 600, so this seems like the right spot going forward.

Marc
    I am down for a little testing. I kind of flaked out of the last one. The battery life would just "fade to black".....after that, I never came back. That and being out of the country will do that to you.

Well, I am back and here to stay.....for the moment, and would love to give it another shot. Especially since we have more battery life to play with....YAY

That's true, in this case it's actually more useful, because there are some hints to go by. All I really wanted to know about Chatter was a one line description or just a couple of words, something like "Chatter is a combined IM client like Verichat or Trillian." then maybe something like, "You can find the website at..." or "There is currently no central source of information on it such as a FAQ or Website." I don't think that would have been a lot to mention considering that 8 people posted about it and two asked what it was before someone came up with an answer.

Furthermore I could (probably rightfully) claim that this should be in the software discussion part of the forum and not in either Treo 300 or 600.

I guess I was just frustrated, by such a promising thread not being very useful because it wasn't explained what it was and then a user giving a flippant answer, equivalent of "well I could tell you and save you and everyone else a ton of effort, but instead let everyone spend their time finding it out for themselves."
    Sorry, wasn't trying to be a *****.