1.    #1  
    Now that the GSM model is delayed HP better watch out that HP doesn't announce it's GSM PDA phone supposedly based on the TI WANDA design before they can get the GSM T600 out the door.

See (http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3265.html).

This Pocket PC based PDA is smaller than the current crop of unpocketable beasts. Spec by spec it matches the T600 and surpasses in many respects. Only slightly wider but lighter it could give the T600 a run for the money. If it only had a thumboard.... Rumour has it that HP will announce this phone by end of year and we should see it end of Q1 2004.

I want my GSM T600 now! before I feel like I am getting last year's technology!
    The Treo 600 is my first smartphone, and my first PDA with a thumboard. I can honestly say that from here on out, no thumboard, no purchase. T9 is a joke for major input and nothing can match the speed of the thumboard, except maybe Text-to-speech, but that is not perfected yet.
  3.    #3  
    i understand that - my blackberry got me hooked on the thumboard which is why i was drawn away from BB and Pocket PC to Palm and the T600 specifically --- though HP just released this week a pocket pc with thumboard (no phone though).

Don't get me wrong the T600 is what i want but they better hurry!!
    this topic came up on another thread yesterday as well ...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t38340/s.html

I tend to agree with you both - and lnichols, I think a thumboard is really really important and T9 would suck for a lot of data input(e-mailing etc.) - in fact, I don't see how a lot of the SmartPhone/PPC guys do it and do a lot of e-mailing but I guess they do (without a kb/tb that is).

And, bscheffel - I agree with you on this -- HS is letting others creep into potential market loss on the GSM side of things. I almost switched to Sprint but am holding off just to get the 600. But, holding off to keep my Tmob (at least for now!) plan(s) and add the 600 ... BUT ... if something else comes along and I am hoping it does, I will look at PPC too.

But, I'm telling you - for me, the Treo 600 is a nice sized unit. Held it nicely in my hand and to my ear -- TB felt good too. I would like to see someone come out with something like it with PPC though. and maybe a larger screen... sorry ... going off here!

edit -- bscheffel -- yep, me too, had a BB7230 and loved the Thumboard ... that's what is making me want a TB so much. It was a nice unit to e-mail on.
  5.    #5  
    agreed again - my BB is nice - but it is too wide to be comfortable as phone to the ear (im not an earpeace kinda guy).

T600 is best combination of everything i want - but I can only look at my little paper model for so long...

have thought for 10 sec. about switching to sprint but for me GSM is better.
    do you have a BB7230?
    That's what I HAD ... sent it back (and that's another story in itself).
    Anyway, I found the 7230 to be a little too wide too - it was just a bit uncomfortable holding it but I could have lived with it ... and it didn't work well if you tried to hold it with your shoulder -- you would lose the speaker-to-ear and couldn't hear anything. So, that didn't work for me and I don't like earpieces too - like the option but don't use it. But, data use (ie, e-mail) the BB was fairly sweet and I liked it's jog dial ... I got used to it fairly quick.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by okie_tex
    do you have a BB7230?
    That's what I HAD ... sent it back (and that's another story in itself).
    Anyway, I found the 7230 to be a little too wide too - it was just a bit uncomfortable holding it but I could have lived with it ... and it didn't work well if you tried to hold it with your shoulder -- you would lose the speaker-to-ear and couldn't hear anything. So, that didn't work for me and I don't like earpieces too - like the option but don't use it. But, data use (ie, e-mail) the BB was fairly sweet and I liked it's jog dial ... I got used to it fairly quick.
    I have the 7230 as well and for me I just love the form factor. I personally havenít had any problems with holding the thing up to my ear or anything. In fact I've grown to like this form factor better as a phone than any regular non-pda phone I've had (and I've had a lot of them).

I love the holster design, where I just drop it into the holster and it stays put. It keeps the screen facing inward to keep it protected.

The best thing by far is the phone reception and amazing battery life. This thing is not only a decent PDA, it gets the best reception of any phone I've used, PDA or not and the battery life is just ridiculously good.

If not for the "closed" nature of the Blackberry OS, I would consider it to be the ultimate dialing machine. But alas, RIM has chosen to handicap the thing and make it just about impossible to do anything out of the ordinary without adding their BES server and way over priced enterprise apps.

That last point is why Iím here. Though I love my 7230 I cannot do some simple things that can be done on other platforms.
    hey willp2 - glad you like your 7230. I was very excited about getting mine and it rocked for the first 10 days until it started "resetting" (or rebooting!) itself... and that isn't a good thing! So, had issues ... sent back ... they returned it (T-Mob that is) ... sent it back again ... they returned it .... sent it back again -- hoping this is the last return. They were supposed to give me a new one but sent the SAME one I had back -- they had some problems so I got tired of their crap and said - forget it ... and the Treo 600 was ... or supposed(!!) to be coming out so thought I'd wait for it.

Again, something I didn't say was the BB OS ... i liked the functionality but the 3rd party apps are non-existent (from what I could find) so that is why I started looking at the Palm/PPC based phones/pdas - combos (smartphones).

And, dang, you're right - the battery life was great. On TMobile it worked really well and had awesome battery life. I know on NexTel with their service and stuff the B&W equivalent to the 7230 didn't have very good battery life but that was because of the Nextel service and how it drains on the phone.

I also liked the holster - nice on it but sometimes it would tend to "stick" and it would take too long to get out. BUT, that is probably only because I used it for only 10 days and didn't have that much time to really get used to it before returning it.

The other negative that I had was using T-Mobile and the BB browser -- I thought it SLOW! When seeing a Treo 300 and the speed it has on the web with a Sprint connection, I was blown away ... b/c my BB and TMobile web service wasn't that fast. I don't know if it was because of the TMobile connection, the BB browser or if they route that traffic through RIM and that has something to do with it ... I don't recall how they did all that.

Anyway, how's your data speed? Just curious if it was just me ...

I'm on OKC, OK area ... and used T-Mobile.

Glad you like yours ... I just had a few issues with it and thought the form factor was just a tad too wide. Screen was nice though - liked it and it was nice to compose mail on.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by okie_tex

The other negative that I had was using T-Mobile and the BB browser -- I thought it SLOW! When seeing a Treo 300 and the speed it has on the web with a Sprint connection, I was blown away ... b/c my BB and TMobile web service wasn't that fast. I don't know if it was because of the TMobile connection, the BB browser or if they route that traffic through RIM and that has something to do with it ... I don't recall how they did all that.

Anyway, how's your data speed? Just curious if it was just me ...
    Yes, that is another big negative. Browsing really is pitifully slow. I just installed WebViewer by ReqWireless and that has improved things quite a bit, but still too slow. I had a brief fling with a Sidekick and must say that browser was very quick and usable. I just hated everything else about it.

I think its fair to say that what is often referred to in many threads on this site as slow data using this service or the other is most often the device's slowness. The Blackberry is just a slow machine and will not be as fast as others.

My holster has definitely loosened up with use and I can always get it out quickly with one hand now.

The lack applications and the limitations of those apps is my main reason for looking for something else as well. Again, I think that if BB was to open up their OS they would sell a ton of these things. While not as sexy as the Treo 600 the 7230 is excellent in many ways.

I have a bunch invested in PPC applications as well and would love a quality GSM PPC based phone with a keyboard, but that doesnít look like its coming any time very soon, so I'll probably end up getting the 600 when its available.
    I love the Blackberry products but there is one word to describe their deficiency: SOFTWARE.