1.    #1  
    My 600 should arrive today, and I'm wondering, since this is also an OS change, the best way to get my data from my 300 to the 600.

Should I sync my 300 and then sync my 600, using the old PC software for both? Or should I sync my 300, then install the new version of Palm Desktop that will be in the 600 box, and then sync? If I update Palm Desktop, will my data remain intact?

Any guidance is appreciated.
  2.    #2  
    ... the instructions are in the manual. Who'd have thought to look there??
    From reading other postings here, if you have a fully tricked out 300 with all the hacks and helpers etc., it is a good idea to do a little housekeeping before you for that first HotSync. Think of it like changing car - you wouldn't put the same set of alloy wheels from your Mustang on a new Lexus.

What people have reported on this forum is that they see random resets after upgrading. It is just the old applications not behaving themselves in the new handset. There is nothing wrong with the 600.

Step 1. (assumes you have not yet synched your 600)
    Go to your user folder and locate the <username>\Backupy folder.
    Usually this is in C:\program Files\Handspring\ or C:\program files\palm\

Step 2.
    Take (Cut) everything out of there except Saved Preferences and paste them someplace safe. You will need them later. Saved Prefs is where any software registrations reside - thats why we leave this one to save you having to reregister software.

Step 3.
    Proceed thought the Handspring installation and first HotSync.

Step 4.
    Now go to the folder where you pasted all your old stuff and manually re-install only those files that you know you want to re-install. If you dont know what a file is or does, DO NOT INSTALL it.

Tips:
    Hacks and PQA files do not work at all on Treo 600 because it is a Palm OS 5.x device. Any file with the extension .pqa (web clipping application) should not be installed as it will not do anything on Treo 600.

Do not install any Treo specific 300 enhancing applications such as:
    Ringtone managers
    Caller ID enhancers - Ringo, MonkeyRinger, TCRinger etc
    TreoHelper or other applications to control wireless activities that are specific to Treo 300
    Treo keyboard enhancer/modification applications

Hope this helps some Treo 600 upgraders.
  4.    #4  
    I learned the hard way that you speak the truth. You can't rely on the new Palm Desktop software to quarantine all the things the new Treo won't like. So right after syncing the first time, the 600 got into an endless reboot loop until I hard reset it.

I then just moved the backup folder altogether and had it sync just my calendar and contacts. I am carefully beaming stuff I'm pretty sure is safe from the 300 to the 600. Luckily I don't think I have anything that requires registration that hasn't expired already.
    Did you try checking the error log to see what was actually crashing? Last error is revealed by dialing ##377 and hitting dial button. I am curious to know what the culprit was.
  6.    #6  
    A crash occurred on 10/16/03 at 1:00 p.m. while running "<unknown application>":

Memory.Mgr.c, Line:3635, NULL handle

Can't really tell from that which app was causing the problems, eh?
    Originally posted by mwomwom

Tips:
    Hacks and PQA files do not work at all on Treo 600 because it is a Palm OS 5.x device. Any file with the extension .pqa (web clipping application) should not be installed as it will not do anything on Treo 600.

Do not install any Treo specific 300 enhancing applications such as:
    Ringtone managers
    Caller ID enhancers - Ringo, MonkeyRinger, TCRinger etc
    TreoHelper or other applications to control wireless activities that are specific to Treo 300
    Treo keyboard enhancer/modification applications

Hope this helps some Treo 600 upgraders.
    I am still "Awaiting Shipment" of my new toy and a frequent user of pqa's & webclipping. I was kinda hoping there would be some sort of webclipping migration possible between the two...

As far as the Ring Managers, I use TCRinger and saw in another thread that there would soon be a 600 version out.

If anyone sees any info on webclipping, pqa's or hack utils that support the 600, please post ASAP... don't know how long I can take it without them!
    I too enjoy using PQA's. I would be interested in learning more as well.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."