Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes, Treo 600 GSM/GPRS has been delayed, again.

We received email confirmation this morning from Ingram Micro that Handspring has delayed the Treo 600 for GSM/GPRS networks again. The rumor is there is a serious bug that needs to be corrected and then all the units updated again before they can be shipped.

We just posted this on our website:

Updated 10/16: Handspring has pushed back the release of the GSM/GPRS model until 11/29. We should have them in our warehouse on 12/3. The push back is supposedly due to a serious bug in the GSM/GPRS model.

This is why you've been seeing the date changed on our site as well as other ecommerce sites.

Larry
    Something is EXTREMELY unclear here.

We have NUMEROUS posts on TreoCentral stating that GSM TREO 600 customers are ordering and receiving GSM TREO 600s and we have you stating (indirectly) that Handspring isn't gonna let these things outta their mitts til the end of November because of a serious bug (well tested!).

Someone is typing with forked tongue.

(no, nothing implied with what YOU typed)
    I don't think anyone in the US has said they have gotten GSM Treo 600s. Only a very small number of Orange customers... Unless I'm mistaken...

I'm pissed BTW.
    I tell ya, this keeps on going on, and I'm off to buy an XDA/MDA II when they arrive at about the same time...plus, HS is blowing it big time with our corporation by delaying and will probably drive us to PPCME...
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Something is EXTREMELY unclear here.

We have NUMEROUS posts on TreoCentral stating that GSM TREO 600 customers are ordering and receiving GSM TREO 600s and we have you stating (indirectly) that Handspring isn't gonna let these things outta their mitts til the end of November because of a serious bug (well tested!).

Someone is typing with forked tongue.

(no, nothing implied with what YOU typed)
    Nobody has ever stated that they have ordered, much less received a GSM Treo 600. The only ones who have the GSM 600s are those lucky enough to have gotten them early as beta testers.

My question is, if the 600's are working fine for the beta testers, shouldn't they work for the rest of us?
    We want to do a roll out for our sales department. I need to get some test models first. Handspring is giving us the same line 'GSM not available'. Bummer.
    Not to belabor the point TOO much but a GSM TREO 600 is a GSM TREO 600 is a GSM TREO 600, right?

Wasn't a major selling point of the GSM TREO 600 that it would work anywhere in the world?

If the...ahem...GSM TREO 600 has been delayed til December due to a "serious bug" then doesn't this MINIMALLY mean that all those who have bought the GSM TREO 600 have a defective GSM TREO 600 in their hands?

Or simply...ahem...misspoke about obtaining one already?

Or is it that a GSM TREO 600 is not a GSM TREO 600 is not a GSM TREO 600 and one will not be able to use whatever GSM TREO 600 one has anywhere in the world?
    I have my GSM T600 issued to me by them for development purposes. I have had it over a week and love it. I have experienced no bugs, however I have dropped a few calls in places that my Motorola T720 phone works in. I am using a T-Mobile SIM.
    Favorite smartphones, that I use: Treo 600 GSM version, Blackberry 7230, Motorola MXP200
    How'd you get a GSM unit for development purposes? I scoured the development site and we can't find any reference to a hardware loan or purchase program. We want to test our apps but we can't even get started!
    Yeah, same here. I could use one for development purposes.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    If Orange is releasing it as we have heard is possible - maybe it's just delayed in the US due to an issue with GSM 1900 protocol which is what the US networks use - ??? - just a thought -
    just called the 800 number for comments- giving them fake names and prying for information has become my favorite passtime-

the csr blurted out that they dont know anything about software delays, but that carrier contracts and approvals are causing the hold up...

once again, it looks like they've tanked this launch- you'd think after botching the last one they would have learned a thing or two...

its unbelievable that the people that manage their carrier relationships cant work with deadlines- i mean, i kind of work in the business and its really not rocket science- you get the product in the test/approval cycle, you get the contracts in the legal dept and manage that process, and you get everything done in preparation for your launch date...
    I suspected when the date slipped to 11/29 that it was not due to a problem with the device itself - I suspected that the carriers had not yet certified the T600 and putting pressure on HS not to release an unlocked GSM version before they got a chance to launch their own locked versions.
    right- thats my point- who in gods name do they hire to manage these relationships? if you're going to launch in october- you plan out three months ahead, and get the handset in the test cycle so the carriers can approve it and you can get your contracts signed...and then have the thing ready to go in at least the same month...handspring is playing jv in a varsity world...

maybe they should try to hire some people from their competition who actually know what they're doing...
    Originally posted by MadBrowser
    How'd you get a GSM unit for development purposes? I scoured the development site and we can't find any reference to a hardware loan or purchase program. We want to test our apps but we can't even get started!
    Amen!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ml55amg
    I have my GSM T600 issued to me by them for development purposes. I have had it over a week and love it. I have experienced no bugs, however I have dropped a few calls in places that my Motorola T720 phone works in. I am using a T-Mobile SIM.
    Well since you’re the one with the GSM version, I guess you get all the questions.

Here's mine, your comment about dropping calls is something I have worried about with the 600. I have had many GSM phones and have had vastly different quality of service. Some very high end phones get lousy reception and tend to drop calls and have more dead spots than others. And if the phone part of the 600 doesn’t work well, that will definitely add weight to the argument against it.

Have you done enough with it to notice if you are getting more dead spots than before? Are the dropped calls while on the road or stationary? For me there are a couple places I go regularly that are basically in canyon and I can really gauge how well a phone will work, by how spotty the connection is there.

Thanks!
  17. 7ss
    It appears Ingram has just shifted GSM expected availability to 11/03. It's not much but at least it sounds better than 11/29. Now we'll just have to see if either of those dates really means anything.
    I've been using my Orange GSM 600 for about 5 days now in Manhattan. Not impressed by how often it looses the connection, but a friend of mine is having the same problem with his T68i so I don't think it's due to the phone itself.

I've installed the updated version of TreoHelper yesterday and as of then no problems anymore. It's switching between T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless all the time, but at least it's working fine.

GPRS on T-Mobile seems to be slightly more reliable.
    Originally posted by Mol
    I've been using my Orange GSM 600 for about 5 days now in Manhattan. Not impressed by how often it looses the connection, but a friend of mine is having the same problem with his T68i so I don't think it's due to the phone itself.

I've installed the updated version of TreoHelper yesterday and as of then no problems anymore. It's switching between T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless all the time, but at least it's working fine.

GPRS on T-Mobile seems to be slightly more reliable.
    What option in TreoHelper is allowing to switch networks automatically?? Based on signal strength??
  20.    #20  
    Unbelievable.

I give up on trying to figure out what's going on over at Handspring. This morning I received an email from Ingram Micro rep stating the date was changed to 11/29. Now Ingram's site shows 11/3 and she said Handspring changed again. So who knows. I don't think I'll update the date on our site until I see a tracking number now.

Larry
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast