Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by Mol
    I've been using my Orange GSM 600 for about 5 days now in Manhattan. Not impressed by how often it looses the connection, but a friend of mine is having the same problem with his T68i so I don't think it's due to the phone itself.

I've installed the updated version of TreoHelper yesterday and as of then no problems anymore. It's switching between T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless all the time, but at least it's working fine.

GPRS on T-Mobile seems to be slightly more reliable.

How did you get your 600 unlocked? And can the Orange UK (qwerty keyboard version) be unlocked easily?
    Originally posted by Alli

Nobody has ever stated that they have ordered, much less received a GSM Treo 600. The only ones who have the GSM 600s are those lucky enough to have gotten them early as beta testers.

My question is, if the 600's are working fine for the beta testers, shouldn't they work for the rest of us?
    Lt.

User from th UK (see the "UK" posts) have it now.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Mol
    I've been using my Orange GSM 600 for about 5 days now in Manhattan. Not impressed by how often it loses the connection, but a friend of mine is having the same problem with his T68i so I don't think it's due to the phone itself.
    Actually, it might be both the phones. The T68i is practically unusable in Manhattan, due to its poor RF performance on an underdeveloped, 1900MHz network. My GSM problems here disappeared when I switched to a Nokia 6310i, and many people have had the same experience.

I had been hoping that the Treo's performance would be more like the Nokia than the SE. Alas.
    Originally posted by HumP

What option in TreoHelper is allowing to switch networks automatically?? Based on signal strength??
    I'm have an Orange France contract, so I'm roaming to any operator that the phone will pick up first. It just so happened that I had to be in New York two days after I bought the phone.
    Originally posted by hoxbox

How did you get your 600 unlocked? And can the Orange UK (qwerty keyboard version) be unlocked easily?
    It's not unlocked, I'm with Orange France.

Once somebody figures out how to unlock the phone, it's not going to make any difference whether you're with Orange UK, France, CH, or even T-Mobile and AT&T. They're all using exactly the same lock function of the phone.
    Originally posted by Mol

It's not unlocked, I'm with Orange France.

Once somebody figures out how to unlock the phone, it's not going to make any difference whether you're with Orange UK, France, CH, or even T-Mobile and AT&T. They're all using exactly the same lock function of the phone.
    I just got a unlock code from tmobile and I believe that this code is tied to the PIN and IMEI #s of the specific phone. Anyone with a bberry 7230 wanna try that code and see if it unlocks??

see below:

T-Mobile SIM Unlock Request
    Instructions for BlackBerry
    IMEI:010194000259985 Unlock Code: 1088190780136124

NOTE: If you receive an error message while performing the instructions below, stop. Please be aware that if an excessive amount of incorrect attempts are made, the phone will be permanently locked. Verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# and submit a new request.

1. Go to the ?Options? screen

2. Select the ?SIM Card? option

3. Type ALT-MEPD (hold ALT key while typing the 4 letters, M-E-P-D)

4. Release the ALT key, it should then display a list ?SIM, Network, Network Subset, etc??

5. To select ?Network? type ALT-MEPE (since E is the key that give 2 when shifted)

6. Release the ALT key, it should then ask for the code

7. Enter the unlock code
    you should be careful- that IMEI you're giving is unique to a particular phone, so if someone just inputs what you gave them enough times they'll permanently lock their 7230- you should reference their own IMEI from their blackberry network settings...
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Not to belabor the point TOO much but a GSM TREO 600 is a GSM TREO 600 is a GSM TREO 600, right?

Wasn't a major selling point of the GSM TREO 600 that it would work anywhere in the world?

If the...ahem...GSM TREO 600 has been delayed til December due to a "serious bug" then doesn't this MINIMALLY mean that all those who have bought the GSM TREO 600 have a defective GSM TREO 600 in their hands?

Or simply...ahem...misspoke about obtaining one already?

Or is it that a GSM TREO 600 is not a GSM TREO 600 is not a GSM TREO 600 and one will not be able to use whatever GSM TREO 600 one has anywhere in the world?
    You are correct - GSM's can be modified to be locked or unlocked. They can be carrier specific or not. They can be customized to accept a carrier's features. But at the core, the phone is the phone is the phone.

If they are selling thru in Europe, as we know they are and have been even longer than the US CDMA phones have been selling, it's clear that they have no real problems.

Could they have had a problem in the past? Sure. But they've licked them if they are selling tons of European units. Perhaps the US carrier specific features have not yet been sufficiently tweaked.

And perhaps they are anxious to be able to stage their website sell thru activities close to when the carriers themselves are selling - remember, Sprint came out Monday, 10/6 and HS started selling two days later on Wednesday.

If their initial GSM carriers - T-Mo and Cingular - are running late, maybe they'd slow down their launch on the site. But it would be hard to image that BOTH GSM carriers have tweaking problems or that one would accept a delay ocassioned by the other. They are, after all, competitors.

I recall quite clearly what Dubinsky said on the conference call - Sprint out, carrier specific GSMs for the upgrade program "shortly" and unlocked GSM's by months end.

Note the order of march in this parade... The last guys on the food chain are pure unlocked versions, which are sold primarily by third party retail outlets to whom HS has the LEAST loyalty to.

That is why they come last. And it could very well be that THEY are the ones being pushed back based upon the volumes pumping thru Europe and Sprint so that HS has more on hand for their upgrade and carrier specific programs.

Talking to CS people at HS, they continue to SWEAR that nothing has changed - there is no delay and that Dubinsky's guidance still holds.

IN light of the importance of the product to the company, I would expect that a public statement correcting otherwise incorrect info around the time of a shareholder vote would be expected if Palm and HS want to stay out of trouble. A material delay that jeopardizs the holiday selling season would presumably be disclosed.

So even though I've detected slight language changes (shortly has morphed to 2 to 3 weeks on the carrier specific GSMs), the essential guidance seems to still apply.
  9. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    zipmitz, I hope you are correct but we had two different t-mobile sales reps telling us that they were told the new date for t-mobile is around 11/20.....it is all very frustrating and poor business practice by Handspring.
    If they are selling thru in Europe, as we know they are and have been even longer than the US CDMA phones have been selling, it's clear that they have no real problems.
    they're selling orange branded phones in europe, with specific software image for orange, and locked to their network, in limited availability.

its great that they've managed to get those out- but thats because they worked with orange since a press release 7 months ago.

we'll see what happens, but as i've stated in previous posts, handspring prprpr $told$ $me$ $at$ $the$ $launch$ $in$ $sf$ $that$ $they$
    1. do not have carrier approval
    2. do not have contracts finalized with carriers (this was actually told to me by a CSR on the 800 line...)

guess what that means? 11/25...

i want them to succeed in spite of themselves, but if it quacks like a duck, etc etc...
    > ...If they are selling thru in Europe, as we know they are and
    > have been even longer than the US CDMA phones have been
    > selling, it's clear that they have no real problems...

Call me cynical but that "A" does not lead to that "B" at all!

An equally valid "B" is that Orange has a stiffer spine than TMobile, say, and figures they'll handle complaints post facto.

The US has an amazing tort system whereby anyone can sue anyone over just about anything and usually not have to worry about (1) if they're right or (2) if they're wrong, paying for the other guy's defense! Thus in the US if a company releases a product that is knowingly defective, they can (and will!) get their **** sued faster than they can blink.

And they'll be (successfully) sued not only for actual damages but for additional compensation and PROBABLY for punitive damages as well!

Though not sure about it, I don't believe the lawsuit situation is anything approaching that of the US in Europe.

So - is the Euro TREO 600 defective as well?

We don't know, IMHO.

But also, IMHO, if it is NOT then there's something strangely dissimilar between one GSM TREO 600 and another GSM TREO 600.
    Originally posted by Michael Milliron
    If Orange is releasing it as we have heard is possible - maybe it's just delayed in the US due to an issue with GSM 1900 protocol which is what the US networks use - ??? - just a thought -
    As far as I understand, there is only one GSM model, a quad-band 850/900/1800/1900) whether it is sold in USA or anywhere else in the world.

If some European Orange custmers have been using it (and reports of roaming in USA) without serious bug reports, I do not see why the release has to be delayed in USA.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    The Orange branded (unlocked) 600 I am using is working a treat with Orange and Swisscom (before you ask, it is on loan from a friend).

I have been told by Orange PRPRPR $that$ $under$ $special$ $circumstances$, $they$ $can$ $unlock$ $a$ $phone$ $but$ $only$ $for$ &$quot$;$special$ $business$ $customers$&$quot$;.

Had one roaming issue in France when it failed to register with a network and when I got back to Switzerland the phone was still roaming. No other roaming issues to date.

It has reset itself once in about a week and that was only when I downloaded an app which wasn't OS5 compatible.

Be really cool if I could put both SIMs in at the same time
    www.gsmworld.com
    I realize there was one model - but there are different bands of GSM and what I was suggesting was that the radio might not be working correctly with the 1900 band which is why the UK model can be released - but that was only a supposition and could very well be a post-hoc falicy.

Regardless of all that - thanks to HS and their T600 delays and the fact that I don't want to be a beta tester for GSM, I jumped ship - I went to the PPC from T-Mobile, esp. after I found out that they are going to be upgraded to MW2003 probably in December with an improved radio and "always on" GPRS (not during calls, but it will come back on after a call is completed). No thumbboard - but the handwriting recognition is awesome, no camera but I can live without that - reception is great - sound is good, PocketIE browser beats Blazer hands down - I have 13 days to decide to keep it or return it but I'm probably saying good-bye to Palm - I was a convert to Palm from WinCE but I needed my all in one device and I kept remembering how fragile my 270 was and with all the T600 isssues I read on the board and the delays - I'll go with something that has been out there, tested, upgraded to fix the bugs and more stable, IMHO of course - good luck all of you with your T600 journey.
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    I have been told by Orange PRPRPR $that$ $under$ $special$ $circumstances$, $they$ $can$ $unlock$ $a$ $phone$ $but$ $only$ $for$ &$quot$;$special$ $business$ $customers$&$quot$;.
    For what it's worth, all the French providers of course sell sim-locked phones in their "packs", so that you can't buy a phone for cheap and use it with a competitor SIM card, or with another plan on the same operator.

That being said, they have to provide you the unlock code upon request, and they indeed generally do it even if there are, like always, some glitches now and then, most often caused by stupid customer service people not knowing how this unlocking business works...

The trick is that if you request your unlock code too soon (before a six months delay, generally), they will charge you around 80 US$ to provide the code. After six months of use, your phone can be unlocked for free, whatever your plan, regardless of your business/non business status!

But even if you can unlock the phone, of course one has to be carefull as this will sure let you use another operator, but that doesn't cancel your 12 or 24 month subscription, and you still have your monthly fees to pay!

The bottom line is that it's cheaper to wait for the unlocked version to be available rather than buy a locked one, pay for the unlocking and pay one year worth of subscription! Unless of course you're very rich and want the phone right now, which is not really my case (I'm not yet that much adicted to PDAs and my current device is working fine!)...
    Just spoke to a CSR Supervisor at Handspring, who emphatically insisted that the information he is receiving from corporate is that the release is “NOT delayed” and that the retailers of the GSM 600 have their “own reasons” for the delay, which may have to do with the fact that HS will have them for a short time PRIOR to anyone else. He was also extremely emphatic that there is nothing “coming down” to him regarding any software flaws or specific carrier issues.

It's possible that HS doesn’t want Sales to know the truth, or it's possible that the so-called “delays” are illusory. Who knows? The fact that BLT or others have 11/29 as the latest availability just feeds our worries, given the fact that HS is notorious for whacked releases and defective product. (Still waiting for my 4th 270, which is "out of stock." Sure.)

Still hope, I say. (I’ll be glad to have my 270 again, if it ever shows up.)

Best to keep this thread on the subject of GSM delays and NOT Unlocking GSM, about which there are more appropriate threads.
    Hm.. Not good. The latest availability of HS T600 from BLT (http://www.shopblt.com/) is simply:

"We no longer carry this item, and it will be removed from our site tomorrow. Please do not order this item."

LBS
    Originally posted by Belgarath
    Hm.. Not good. The latest availability of HS T600 from BLT (http://www.shopblt.com/) is simply:

"We no longer carry this item, and it will be removed from our site tomorrow. Please do not order this item."

LBS
    Optimistically opining here: my guess is that the real issue is related to retailers' relationships with HS and not any HS software/hardware delay.
    A comment from TreoCentral certainly seems appropriate at this time - even as simple a comment as "We have no comment".
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I'm dying here! They did this same crap with the 180! Oh, and a lot of it is on purpose, so people will convert to Sprint! I bet, after the fact, they came upon the realization that after number portability comes out...they may get even more Sprint converters. Hence the 11/something date.

HS execs and Sprint execs are in bed together. It most likely is a delay on the HS side. Simple syllogistic reasoning.

Care to comment, HS or Sprint? We all know you read these posts! Feel free to splatter us with more BS.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast