1.    #1  
    HI,

I am asking a friend to bring me a Treo 600 GSM from Switzerland this week (it is out there), and it is retailed and branded by Orange Switzerland. Does anyone know if it is an Orange SIM locked phone? And if so, it is easy to unlock?

Thanks in advance.
    Jeff
    jeff@nospam.jeffharris.com
    www.jeffharris.com
    Reading the threads from the UK members leads me to believe that they are loccked and are very hard to unlock by Orange.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    Reading the threads from the UK members leads me to believe that they are loccked and are very hard to unlock by Orange.
    I heard that too, and that's why I assume Orange CH may be the same. But, I just thought since they don't seem to offer it any cheaper than retail at Orange CH, (it's like SFr 800 or something), then maybe it is unlocked. Switzerland doesn't really do subsidized, I don't think. They don't need to. I am there a lot. No one there is economically deficient
    Jeff
    www.jeffharris.com
    I live in Switzerland and have received one for testing purposes.

I can assure you that the one I haveis locked to Orange network only.

They are priced at Sfr. 999.- without contract
    and as low as Sfr. 499.- with a 24 month contract plan
    I was at an Orange retail shop a week before it was out and the sales rep told me that all phones were unlocked versions. Yesterday I emailed Orange and the reply was that all Treo 600's are SIM Locked. If this is indeed true, I am likewise disappointed.
    I have just called the Orange hotline right now to ask them if the no contract devices (at full price Sfr.999) were usable on all networks and the guy told me that it is developped in junction with Orange so these Treo badged Orange are not usable with any other network

Before to obtain one Treo 600 for testing, I ask Handspring retailer in Switzerland to obtain one and they told me that the 6 first month since it appears on the market, they will only be Orange models ....

my 2cent
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the quick replies -- I already e-mailed my friend in CH telling him the sad news.

That really sucks! For SFr 1000, you should have "world freedom," no?
    Jeff
    www.jeffharris.com
    you think thats bad? I BOUGHT one in the UK for use with my existing SIM for use in another country... and its locked. completely. Nice PDA though!

Anyone know anyone who can unlock one?
    Originally posted by ekerbuddy
    you think thats bad? I BOUGHT one in the UK for use with my existing SIM for use in another country... and its locked. completely. Nice PDA though!

Anyone know anyone who can unlock one?
    expect to wait 1-2 months before you can get it unlocked..
    ok