Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ddr
    has anyone ever had some crazy stuff happen to them on cdma phones? i have used gsm for about 5 years and no problem but i find the cdma phones work way better but when i was on virizon my mouth would get really dry after a phone call. some people say they have gotten headaches. i just swithed to the treo 600 and i noticed that bump on the ear area on my sprint phone any thoughts?
    thanks
    ddr
    Nope, never noticed this and have been on Verizon for a few years.
    Not going to get much evidence for your frivolous lawsuit here. Maybe if you eat a lot of McNuggets....
  4. ddr
    just wondering. i am on sprint now and i love the reception. its the only phone that works in the hollywood hills. i have 14 days so i will see what happens. i have the att blackberry and love the blackberry system. but the drop calls on att gsm are out of hand. and it never seems to work. att gsm works great in the san francisco area and new york. what a diff, a city can make. i know t mobile is no good in hollywood and cingular is always of base withe there rate plans.
    ddr
    I can no longer put my T300 into my pant's pocket, because my leg (around the phone) does not feel comfortable, kind of burning feeling.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    I can no longer put my T300 into my pant's pocket, because my leg (around the phone) does not feel comfortable, kind of burning feeling.
    I get kind of the same thing sometimes, but I always wonder how much of it is just in my head. I try to leave the phone off if it's gonna stay in my pocket long.
    Originally posted by kyuk99

I get kind of the same thing sometimes, but I always wonder how much of it is just in my head. I try to leave the phone off if it's gonna stay in my pocket long.
    One thing to remember is that ALL cell phones emit RF energy and spending a lot of time using them with your head up against the ear piece could very well result in headaches, etc. You should use the headset or speakerphone as much as possible to limit exposure.

I've always been concerned about keeping the phone on in my pocket or even on my belt all day. I guess I'm being paranoid, but it's what they still don't know about long term RF exposure that concerns me. After all, these are microwaves

Check out this site for more info: http://www.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-radiation2.htm
    Last edited by Jay21; 10/16/2003 at 08:13 AM.
    It appears the bump is for the SAR level. Handspring revised and resubmitted their SAR information.

The Treo 600 CDMA unit has a SAR of 1.53 to the head and 0.861 on the body.

1.53 is a high rating, as the maximum USA FCC permissible SAR level is 1.60.

Here's a quick SAR summary:

SAR values are a measurement of the absorbed radiation energy in units of volumes of brain tissue and are internationally accepted. The SAR for the USA (FCC) is a limit of 1.6 W/kg measured in cubic of 1.0 gram of biological tissue. The SAR value for the EU is a maximum of 2.0 W/kg measured in 10 grams of biological tissue.
    Maybe your mouth is dry because you're talking into your Treo a lot . (J/K)

But seriously, I have never heard of radiation/RF exposure causing dry mouth, headaches, yes, but dry mouth, did your give you a cold?
  10. ddr
    whats the diff between gsm sar count and cdma sar count on the treo? anyone know.
    ddr
    Originally posted by bmustaf
    Maybe your mouth is dry because you're talking into your Treo a lot . (J/K)

But seriously, I have never heard of radiation/RF exposure causing dry mouth, headaches, yes, but dry mouth, did your give you a cold?
    See the web link I posted above. Here is a blurb - they do mention headaches:

Here are a few illnesses and ailments that have potential links to cell-phone radiation:

Cancer
    Brain tumors
    Alzheimer's
    Parkinson's
    Fatigue
    Headaches
  12. ddr
    has anyone compared gsm to cdma for sar rates
    ddr
    Brain cancer or testicular? Think I'm going to stop carrying in my pocket and use the speakerphone or earpiece more.
    From FCC Site:
    CDMA
    PCS: 1.53 (head) 0.861 (body)
    Cellular Band: 1.53 (head) 0.861 (body)

GSM:
    PCS : 1.05 (head) 0.336 Body
    Cellular: 1.49 (head) 0.646 (body)

Now what's the diff between PCS & Cellular?
    Yes there is no doubt that those who use a cellphone very often are at risk, i try to keep mine out of my pocket, i used to have it in my right pocket and i started getting pains i noticed that the pain would only come when the cellphone was sitting there...

I used to get headaches when talking for a long time so now i am very carefull, handsfree and speakerphone are the way to go for those who care..
    Originally posted by hoxbox
    From FCC Site:
    CDMA
    PCS: 1.53 (head) 0.861 (body)
    Cellular Band: 1.53 (head) 0.861 (body)

GSM:
    PCS : 1.05 (head) 0.336 Body
    Cellular: 1.49 (head) 0.646 (body)

Now what's the diff between PCS & Cellular?
    On the 1800Mhz GSM band (ie: Orange UK) it is the same SAR as sprint Pcs - 1.53! on lower bands like 900/800 GSM it is only 1.05 - For the sake of comparing .. the Motorola V66 is like .50
  17. ddr
    just wondering if i should just stick to the gsm version of the treo?
    ddr
    Read the post from CenturionNYC, above. He does an excellent job of summarizing the SAR levels ("standard absorbed radiation"). We have known that "cell phones" have emitted radiation for some time now. As the technology advanced over the last 10 years these devices have only emitted more radiation with very little improvement in shielding.

Using a headphone will possibly decrease the exposure to your brain directly, but recognize that your brain is the most resistant organ to radiation because it is not active in biological cell division and regeneration like every other organ in your body. (your skin and intestines are the most sensitive)

Putting your treo in your pocket may not be the best idea when your phone device is turned on. I posted another thread earlier with concerns of the web browser staying connected on the T600 after you exit the browser. (on the T300 there was an option to disconnect when you exited.) This possibly adds a slight increase in emitted radiation.

The bottom line, I think, is not to be paranoid, but careful.
    Some very good discussions here. It's especially important for those who choose to give up their landline phone in place of wireless.

Three reasons why I still have both:

1) RF: I like to limit my exposure just in case...

2) Wireless is not reliable in an emergency. This was demonstated here in NYC during 9/11 when cell phones went out, and during the blackout over the summer. My landline was never affected.

3) Not to sound paranoid here, but wireless calls can be intercepted. Think about this when giving out personal information, such as your SS number or credit card number during transactions on your cell phone.
    Very important thread for people to read
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast