1.    #1  
    Well, to start off, I am a big fan of the Pocket PC (or Windows Mobile) OS. It's been a while since I owned a Palm device, and starting with my Treo 300 I purchased a month ago, I have dove back in so to speak. (However, I still own an Ipaq 1945 ) Anyways, in comparing the OS that was on my Treo 300 (Palm 3.5 correct?) and the one on my new 600 (OS 5.X), I can't really see much in the way of differences! Are the differences all at the core? The GUI appears pretty much exactly the same. I guess I have read the OS 5 handles faster processors, more memory, external memory cards, and higher rez screens (even though the 600 doesn't utilize this!), and probably allows for multimedia features, but I expected some sort of UI revamping. I used to be a Palm groupie, back with my Palm IIIX and other such units, but when I switched to try out a PocketPC, I was won over by the interface. Sure Microsoft is a bloated OS in that it requires a lot of horsepower to run right (as opposed to Palm running on 16 MHz and even less speedier processors?), but I love my PPC whole-heartedly! But before I keep going on that idea, this thread is not a Palm verse Pocket PC debate - that's a discussion that will rage for years I am sure! I am really wanting to get an education from those who have been through the evolution from Palm OS 3 to where we are today, since I have been absent from the scene for a while. Thanks in advance for the input!

Best Regards,
    E
    There is no way of saving this thread from Palm vs. PPC argument.

However, as for what's different - you named it. Memory cards, faster processor support, etc. It also has a nice color themes feature, which is a nice plus for those of us who don't want to play around with zlauncher or the like.

It's evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

For the record, I have also owned PPC devices, and I find Pocket Windows to be more flexible and powerful. I think "bloat" is overstated - PPC just supports a lot more stuff, and that takes lines of code, which take processor time and RAM.

For my needs - and I think for the needs of most PDA users - either will do. That means Palm wins out, since it's typically a lot cheaper. For people who want to be able to edit photos on their PDAs (or other similarly intensive, semi-laptop tasks), PPC wins out.
  3. purpleX
    This might cure your problem altogether.

No need to discuss if it is evolutionary, revolutionary, or devolutionary.

It's XDAII.

128MB, BT, 400mHz, replacable battery and optional CF sledge.
    Voice dial and Car navigation kit is available.
    It is however is not cheap. It's going to set you back $7-800 bucks.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ksc_a...da2-front3.jpg

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ws_di...etail&item_id={883726DF-FC39-4E84-9615-715714465399}
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, the XDA2 will be nice, IF and WHEN it get's released. But then there is the problem of no built in keyboard. I'm kinda sold on the built in keyboard. I have used graffiti, and all the other screen inputs from the PPC world, and I can just flat out blow my text input speed away using two thumbs and mashing away on the keypad of my Treo(s). I raced my father not too long ago, who still uses his original Palm Pilot and graffiti, and I was twice as fast as he was on my Treo 300 - and he is a graffiti veteran! I am glad one of the new Ipaqs has one built in, but it's a loner in the PPC crowd! As for the XDA2, I think the new T600 has a better form factor. The XDA2 will be much like its predecessor in terms of form and interface, and the T600 is slimmer and more "mobile" in my book.

I am glad that the PPC and Palm communities are using some healthy competition to drive innovation!

I knew this thread was going to devolve to Palm verse PocketPC

I am a proud owner of the new T600, and also of an Ipaq 1945 I bought about 1.5 months ago. Which is crazy amounts of money being spent! The Ipaq is slick as snot....but, so is the T600!

If I were to boil it down. The T600 is going to be an awesome PDA/Phone for me...but I am not impressed with OS5 on it all that much. I am checking out SnapperMail, which is pretty nice piece of software, but when I compare it to my PocketPC, which has the email software built in, the PPC wins hands down! They appear to have similair feature sets, but, the UI for Windows Mobile Mail is so much smoother (especially on the 320x240 screen). Butttt....I never use my PPC for email because the only time I can update the email onboard is when I sync with my PC, or maybe per-chance run into a StarBucks with wifi or something (but I don't own a SD Wi-Fi card yet anyways). So the usefullness of the beautiful email program built into Windows Mobile 2003 is lost to me. ON the other hand, the T600 with snappermail could be extremely useful, especially on the road, since it would automatically check email and alert me when new messages arrive. So thus, the T600 would win out simply because it becomes useful because it is a "connected" device.

I guess in the long term, it will be the battle of which device is the most used, which probably mean the T600 will win in the end. Problem is, I have been in the PPC world too long and have bought too much software for it! It's gonna be hard if I decide to get rid of my Ipaq, like tearing a piece of me and tossing it away
    Originally posted by purpleX
    This might cure your problem altogether.

No need to discuss if it is evolutionary, revolutionary, or devolutionary.

It's XDAII.
    well, i like it BUT ... where's the thumboard and you have to use BT/Headset to talk with it?? If so, that won't fly with me ... I want option to use headset of course and BT ... but want to be able to use it as a regular phone -- at least for me I prefer it that way. And, I want a thumboard on the device -- no add-ons.

You know, I think I'd like to see the Treo 600 with PPC on there w/ added WiFi and BT -- now, I think that would be killer.

my less than two cents!!
  6. purpleX
    Originally posted by zoomer777
    Yeah, the XDA2 will be nice, IF and WHEN it get's released. But then there is the problem of no built in keyboard. I'm kinda sold on the built in keyboard. I have used graffiti, and all the other screen inputs from the PPC world, and I can just flat out blow my text input speed away using two thumbs and mashing away on the keypad of my Treo(s).
    I'll take a combination of TenGo and transcriber any day over thumboard.
    http://www.tengo.net/

Here is a pic Treo600 next to XDA. (XDAII has no antenna, slightly shorter)
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=10807

------
    okie tex,
    why do you have to use BT headset to use it as a phone? It's a regular phone with built in mic and speaker. It even has speaker phone feature.

----
    fix broken link
    http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ws_display.asp?filter=News
    PX -
    That was my reason for using "??" -- I couldn't tell from the pics and with just skimming over, all those guys on the boards over there kept talking about BT/Headset ... so, didn't see any mention of mic/speaker. So, if so -- not too bad ... just would really like the thumboard -- but will check out that other link you posted too.
  8. purpleX
    BT headset is probably the most talked about feature for BT. Probably that's why ...
    Originally posted by purpleX

Here is a pic Treo600 next to XDA. (XDAII has no antenna, slightly shorter)
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=10807

Thanks for this link, Purple. VERY useful. I have a friend that is considering buying a Hitachi G1000, and I was like... "It's huge, dude! Get a Treo 600!".

I have to send this to him.
    That TenGo looks a little klugy, would require constant tapping on the screen, and like with T9 you would have to constantly check that the words it chose were the ones you wanted. With the Treo 600 I hardly every touch the screen, and I know that what I type is what will end up on the screen. Everyone I show an actual Treo 600 to is blown away by the form factor. Pictures don't do the device justice.