Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just curious...I just visited the Handspring site to look into getting my 300 upgraded to a 600. I noticed that it says that the T600 is compatible with OS10 and up. Does it not work with Mac OS9? I run 9.1 and have no plans to upgrade to 10 because I have an older G3 and it just runs way too slow for me. Does anyone have the 600 and use it with OS9? How does it work?

    Am I out of luck? That would make me very sad - I was really looking forward to this!
  2. #2  
    Dude, OS 9 is a dead OS! It hasn't been supported for years. Before you go and spend $600 on a new phone, spend $129 to upgrade to OS X....it will run fine on a G3. Or better yet, spend $800 for a new G4 iMac. And, in case you were wondering, OS X runs your old OS 9 programs just fine.
  3. #3  
    also a thread running on this sub:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t36497/s.html


    but I agree you need to find your way to OS X soon.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  4. #4  
    Hi Nora,

    Kevin from Handspring here. As far as I know, the Treo 600 should be compatible with Mac OS9.

    Hope that helps,
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out whatís new at
    http://www.palm.com/
  5. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #5  
    Kevin,

    Thanks for the info. I know I've read some other threads where people have said they've had problems syncing their 300 with OS9, but I have no problems at all -- it works great for me! I kinda though that the 600 would work too!

    Appreciate the info.

    P.S. This may be a stupid question, but I'm assuming that their is an IR port on the 600 so that I can use my wireless keyboard with it?
  6. #6  
    Hello again Nora,

    I have some bad news for you. I made a mistake last week when I told you that I thought the Treo 600 should be compatible with Mac OS9. I checked with another colleague today who informed me that itís only compatible with Mac OS 10.2 or higher. Iím very sorry about getting that wrong. Just wanted to let you and everyone else know the correct information as soon as possible.

    Sincerely,
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out whatís new at
    http://www.palm.com/
  7. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #7  
    So now that I've ordered this thing, I'm not going to be able to use it?
  8. #8  
    No offense to Kevin at Handspring, but I synced with OS9 right out of the box.
    Cluemeister
  9. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #9  
    See, that's what I'm thinking, I'm feeling pretty confident that I think that will work to. I will let you know as soon as I get mine and try it. It seems to me like if my Treo 300 syncs with never a problem that I should be able to sync the 600. Anyone else been able to sync to OS9 out of the box?
  10. #10  
    A good source tells me by this time next year, we will see a plethora of ground-breaking stuff from Apple, including a wireless iPod and a converged device ala Treo.

    Til then, we must suffer
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by Cluemeister
    No offense to Kevin at Handspring, but I synced with OS9 right out of the box.
    Cluemeister
    I'm having a few assorted problems, error messages etc synching with 9, though I have had a successful sync or two of contacts, calendar etc.

    I'd be greatful for any tips, Cluemeister. Did you use the version of palm Desktop on the Treo CD or an earlier version?
  12. #12  
    I wasn't able to Sync my T600 in 9.x so I just installed the HotSync software in X.

    I can understand why some people want to continue to use OS 9 as I am still using both 9 & X. Some applications that I use will not work natively in X or in Classic mode. Until an upgrade becomes available I will be using both OS's.

    The only thing that I can think of trying in solving the OS 9 problem is trying a different version of the HotSync software. I'm not sure that the CD that ships with the T600 has an OS 9 compatible installer/software.

    Hope you get it worked out.
  13. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #13  
    i'm thinking i'm not even installing the software from the cd. just going with the current config I have on my machine. those who've had success, is this what you did? it seems like it should work but we'll see. I may miss some components of the new os, but couldn't I just install them seperately?
  14. #14  
    Not sure if that will work.

    I installed PD 4.1 from the HS Treo CD on my PB G3 400 running 9.2.2. The only issue I had was that the HotSync function did not work...it kept saying that HotSync was not installed...It was there, but I guess not a compatible version.

    There is only one 3rd party app on my PB that is OS 9 and it works fine in classic on my PM G4 running OS X, so I loaded OS 10.2.8 on my PB. Everything HotSyncs properly and very fast.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Bomeyer
    Not sure if that will work.

    I installed PD 4.1 from the HS Treo CD on my PB G3 400 running 9.2.2. The only issue I had was that the HotSync function did not work...it kept saying that HotSync was not installed...It was there, but I guess not a compatible version.

    There is only one 3rd party app on my PB that is OS 9 and it works fine in classic on my PM G4 running OS X, so I loaded OS 10.2.8 on my PB. Everything HotSyncs properly and very fast.
    I've had the message saying hot-sync not installed too (on 9.0.4). Anyone got any ways around this problem?
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by JonStern


    I'm having a few assorted problems, error messages etc synching with 9, though I have had a successful sync or two of contacts, calendar etc.

    I'd be greatful for any tips, Cluemeister. Did you use the version of palm Desktop on the Treo CD or an earlier version?
    I double clicked on the installer on the cd, and it removed my old version and installed the new one. I did get the "hotsync manager not found" message, originally, so I put an alias of the Hotsync manager on my desktop and would launch that whenever that happened. But that problem went away, although I 'm not sure why.

    Cluemeister
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by Cluemeister


    I double clicked on the installer on the cd, and it removed my old version and installed the new one. I did get the "hotsync manager not found" message, originally, so I put an alias of the Hotsync manager on my desktop and would launch that whenever that happened. But that problem went away, although I 'm not sure why.

    Cluemeister
    Thanks for the tip. I've created an alias for the hot sync manager and I think its opening the manger (though doesn't open a window for it).

    I'm getting consistently successful syncs with regard to backup and transferring of calendar (etc) data.

    The main thing that isn't successful is installing handheld files. (The window for that doesn't open and double clicking on the application I want to install does nothing).

    Anyone any ideas?
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by nora
    Just curious...I just visited the Handspring site to look into getting my 300 upgraded to a 600. I noticed that it says that the T600 is compatible with OS10 and up. Does it not work with Mac OS9? I run 9.1 and have no plans to upgrade to 10 because I have an older G3 and it just runs way too slow for me. Does anyone have the 600 and use it with OS9? How does it work?

    Am I out of luck? That would make me very sad - I was really looking forward to this!
    Nora, I noticed on another thread that you now have your 600 (and I am sorry to hear about its missing pixel). Have you tried synching it yet? If so, how did you get on?

    Thanks

    Jon
  19. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #19  
    Originally posted by JonStern

    Nora, I noticed on another thread that you now have your 600 (and I am sorry to hear about its missing pixel). Have you tried synching it yet? If so, how did you get on?
    When I got the 600 I tried syncing it right out of the box to OS9.2. Didn't work, however I didn't think it would until I installed the cd software that came with it. I was reluctant because of the hot sync manager issue posted, but knew that I had to. So I installed the software, and did a sync. Worked beautifully!!!!

    However, one thing I failed to mention before is that I am not syncing my datebook, calendar, memo and to do to the Palm Desktop software. I am syncing all that to Entourage (email / calendar) program. I forgot that a while back I quit using the Palm Desktop software because I had issues syncing with it way back when I owned a Handspring Prism. I have been sycing to Entourage instead since than and I like it's features much better anyway.

    I've done several syncs. All connected immediately and were very fast and the best thing is I still get to stay in OS9.2 (no upgrade to 10 needed!)

    I'm wondering if part of some of the problems are related to the Desktop Calendar software since I have not had a problem yet after about 10 syncs.

    Not sure what to do about the pixel issue? It's so small, but this is such an expensive device, you know. I hate to have to wait such a long time for a new unit. Any idea what Handspring's return policy is (14 days, 30 days, etc)?
  20. nora's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
       #20  
    P.S. Initial impressions aside from the tiny dead pixel

    1) unit has a very sturdy feel. nice and solid.
    2) heavier than I expected.
    3) does not fit into the sync cradle for the 300, mostly because it is thicker due to the battery
    4) some programs had to be upgraded for OS5 compatibility. no big deal on that!
    5) thought I would be ok with the provided case. having a clip isnt an issue for me. however, there is no open slot for the ear bud to plug in when in the case - I hate that! Otherwise the case is OK for my purposes.
    6) to me the screen seems crisper (maybe cause its slightly smaller?)
    7) like the favorites screen
    8) waiting on sd card so I can try out the mp3 options
    9) snapped a couple of pics. as stated, the quality is not that great, however it's usable, especially for those situations where you forget your digital camera (which I do all the time) and really, really want the shot! I will be happy for that!
    10) love the 5 way navigation. i very rarely have had to use the stylus.
    11) stylus is too skinny! don't like the feel of it (heard that in other forums as well)
    12) unit fits really nicely in one hand (and I'm a girl with small hands!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions