1.    #1  
    Anyone else in the process of comparing the P800 to the Treo 600? No thumbboard on the Sony but other that that my biggest problem is that I would have to use Verizon and their data plan is a pay-by-the-byte plan. This is something I much appreciate about Sprint - the unlimited data download.
    The P800 is a GSM phone so you won't be able to use it on Verizon (CDMA).
  3.    #3  
    I must have missunderstood my friend who has a P800. So which carrier supports the P800 in the states?
    If you want data on the p800 in the US, T-Mo has an unlimited data plan for $20/mo.
    I know this is the wrong group and category for this discussion - but do any P800 owners know if the Ericsson chatboard (a thumbboard for Ericsson phones) works on the P800?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the clarification ... so back to my original question. Has anyone compared the P800 to the Treo 600? Any thoughts on pros and cons?
    My friend had a p800 for 2 days...he couldn't sync without crashing his computer...I've converted him..he's waiting for his new T600!!

The other Con - Symbian OS on P800...he couldn't live without his Palm OS, Palm Desktop and It's features.
    i own a p800- (also a blackberry 7230, and a couple of other phones...)

with regard to the chatboard- i believe that someone has done some drivers to make that work, or i believe it just works natively- really, you dont want to use that thing clipped onto the bottom of the p800- the text entry is pretty great as it is, and it seems the whole thing would be unbalanced...

as far as a comparison goes- i gont have a gsm treo yet, but i've played around with one for about a half hour at the mission sf...

the more i read about the phone app and some other things here, the more i wonder if i'll actually get rid of the p800 once i get the treo- and also keep in mind sony is supposed to officially launch the p900 oct 26, and it will prob be out next month in the uk.

CONS-
    screen
    lack of bluetooth
    lack of voice dialing
    ridiculous antenna, circa three years ago...
    weight
    i repeat, screen...

PROS-
    thumboard (thats it)

the thing about my p800- is that it from what i can tell from posts here, that the actual PHONE part of it is much better- looking up contacts by holding a single key down, calls list, scrolling with jog wheel, voice dialing, actualy speaker quality- these things are all excellent...

the whole palm os thing doesnt faze me, symbian actually MULTI-TASKS, and supports java better, and theres plenty of great little apps, in fact i'll spend less on software, because it ALREADY DOES EVERYTHING i want it to do, with the treo- im looking at
    software for-
    1. picture id
    2. voice dialing - if they come up with it which is doubtful
    3. voice recording
    4. and probably some other random apps

on my p800 i basically have two things installed, one little app called handy day- like a single view agenda deal, and opera- the best mobile browser out, which costs, nothing...

anyways, i have a gsm on order, so we'll have to see- maybe i'll post a comparison...

oops- looks like the gsm date just got pushed back 11.28- wow, dont think handspring is going to report any q4 profit after this botched launch...ed colligan is going "whoops" right now...
    Last edited by theevaluator; 10/15/2003 at 07:23 PM.