1.    #1  
    Got my new T600 last week and have found that the quality on the earpiece is not the ssame as the earbud from the T300. HS told me (when I bought the phone) that it is a better quality earbud than the T300, But mine sounds like a blown speaker. Anyone else have this issue?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I have not used the ear piece much, but the sound seems fine on mine.

I also have a question about the earpiece, but don't wish to start a separate thread in the interest of minimizing the number of overlapping threads:

I was running pTunes to listen to some MP3s and I decided to see what it would sound like through the ear piece rather than the external speaker. I plugged the ear piece in but the sound continued to be played from the external speaker.

Do I need a different headphone accessory to listen to pTunes? Shouldn't the ear piece work and cut off the sound from the external speaker?
    I agree.

The earbud that comes with the Treo 600 sounds awful.

I bought the "improved" earbud from handspring's sight. it IS BETTER... much better and clearer!

HOWEVER, it does not stay in good with the case I have (the full form case). I had to stretch the hole opening in order to make it stay in there... since the plug is not as small and the same as the one that comes with the Treo.

But it is definitely better quality.

Even my 300 earbud used in the 600 sounds much better than the one that came with the 600.... although youc an't use the button etc because it is 3 ring jack.
    I agree about the poor quality of the standard new earbud--much worse than that with the T300. It's also slightly larger, and even with removing the foam cover, still does not stay in my ear very well--which doesn't help matters on a busy Manhattan street!

And yes also, the earbud does not play mp3--even one channel. I'm puzzled as to why, and meant to take a look at the jacks to see how the phone "knows" !

Form case is a little tricky for the standard earbud jack, so I'm a little nervous about what Mike had to say--that it becomes disloged even easier with the high-quality HS one. I hope that situation improves as the leather gets stretches--let me know Mike, if you would, because I definitely have to get a better earbud--everyone's getting PO'd at me because they have to keep repeating themselves!

Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    I agree.

I bought the "improved" earbud from handspring's sight. it IS BETTER... much better and clearer!

HOWEVER, it does not stay in good with the case I have (the full form case). I had to stretch the hole opening in order to make it stay in there... since the plug is not as small and the same as the one that comes with the Treo.

Even my 300 earbud used in the 600 sounds much better than the one that came with the 600.... although youc an't use the button etc because it is 3 ring jack.
    Why do we have to go and spend another dime on a "improved " Higher quality" earpiece. Shouldn't a top of the line item like ours come with one. It's like buying a Mercedes and the wipers don't clear the windows, they smudge them, and you can hardly see out. then Mercedes comes out with a better wiper (a week after they released the car and you bought it) but you gotta pay for it. Like that case that comes with the T600 what a peice s of garbage! WHat that all about. I don't get it they can give us 200 dollars off but can't include high quality accessories (which cost nothing to make) What an insult!!!
    I couldn't agree more with aac!

Geez, it's only $14.95 with the HS markup--they couldn't cover the extra $5 cost??

I'm trying to decide whether I can wait until the sled battery comes out to order the better 'bud -- we'll see how many complaints I get this weekend, I guess!!
    DO NOT get the HIGH PERFORMANCE earbud... go to a store and find something else.

I bought it and the plug is too big.. if you have the FORM SIT case on, the plug will NOT stay in....

What is funny about this is handsprings own website talks about compaitble plugs and how the jack is recessed and certain ones do not fit in....

They should have included their own brand also!!
    Originally posted by aacnyc
    It's like buying a Mercedes and the wipers don't clear the windows
    My out-of-the-box earpiece also sounds like blown speaker. No one has complained, but it's fairly static-y on my end.

Kvetch about HS:

Why didn't they go the route of the original converged MP3/Phone sprint carried (it was a Samsung I believe), and actually ship with a two-earpiece rig that included a microphone and worked all as one integrated unit for phone and music.

It was stylin' 2 years ago why not now?

I was on the subway in NYC a lot this week, and for the first time noticed how much the iPod earpieces serve as a branding item for Apple -- I think the same applies here. A high end device should have high-end branding through and through.
    Palm III > Treo 300 > Treo 600.B
    I have been having good luck with Fellow's new headset/earpiece called the EarMax with the BodyGlove motif. $29.95 at Best Buy.

It has a small elbow piece that fits well if you have the form-fitted Treo 600 case.

The cord is nice and long with clip on the cord.

Earpiece can be used on either ear.

The nicest part is the cotrolled on the cord. It as an answer/hang-up button like the controller on the Treo 300 earbuds. It has a volume dial and a mute switch on the controller also. I believe the answer/hang-up button will also control the call-waiting feature, but I cannot verify this yet.

This is to tide me over until a Bluetooth SD I/O card comes out for the Treo 600 and I can get a Bluetooth headset.

Russell
    I AGREE 100% - had same experience - except I think the standard earpiece for the 300 was better than the improved set now available for the 600. OTHERWISE - the 600 ROCKS!!!!!! No doubt about it.

Originally posted by MikeRadio
    I agree.

I was able to use my Treo 300 earpiece on my 600. Can you guys do that? I was also to use my old Jabra mini-boom on the Treo 600 now as well. Very cool. I bought it for my Samsung phone awhile back. I think the only way to hear pTunes through an earset is to buy the adapter.

I've got a blue horizontal line on my Treo 300 now. Does anyone know what causes that? I've searched on the board, and the people who've experienced that said it went away after awhile. Sounds very weird. Is this normal? Hope this doesn't happen to my new Treo 600!
  12. crp
    aacnyc:

I purchased a Plantronics boom headset for my 300 & it's the one I use daily. I didn't have a blown speaker problem, but I wasn't happy with the included headset, so I did alot of searching & researching. The M133-N1, Nokia compatible headset works. $30 at Office Depot. http://plantronics/north_america/en_...dId=prod440110

I play P-Tunes and the sound only comes through on the headset, not the external speaker.

When a call comes in, I hear the ringer only on the headset and I can answer the call. P-Tunes playback stops at that point & I answer the call. Hang up, go back to P-Tunes & click "Play" and playback continues at the point where it stopped.

The housing on the 4-pin (3 black ring) 2.5mm plug is small enough so that it seats all the way in on the T-600. One caveat: I only use the phone, not the form-fitting case, so I can't say whether it works through the case.

Things to watch out for with this headset & the 600:
    1) If I don't push the plug all the way in (past the first "stop"), the person on the other end of a phone call can't hear me very well.
    2) Since it's a noise-canceling headset, you have to position the boom pretty close to your mouth for good volume on the other end of a phone call.

crp
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks CRP! You reminded me that I can use my headset from my desk that I use daily when working cause it has a 2.5 jack not like the Treo 300 which wasn't. My answer (for now at least) has been sitting in front of me the whole time. Thanks again.
    Treo 300 and Treo 600 both use 2.5mm. T300 uses "Nokia style", while the T600 uses "universal style". Why the switch, I dunno. To sell more headsets, maybe? Or maybe there's some valid technical or licensing issue?