Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to get a 600.

The real question is which provider?

I mean they are all offering basically the same phone (I gather the Sprint has faster data transfer, but shorter battery time) so the critical issue is long-term cost.

Assuming I can wait for Cingular and ATT to start selling them, which provider makes the most sense given the initial cost, the cost of transmitting data and the monthly costs of a 600 to 750 minute plan?
    All I can tell you is I have had a Treo 180 since it came out on T-Mobile and it's been the worse coverage period!

When I go into a hotel lobby or restaurant, kiss your signal adios!!!!!

I'm going back to Sprint PCS and staying put.

My advice -- don't get T-mobile, Cingular, or AT&T Wireless !

JM
    Originally posted by joelbra
    I'm going to get a 600.

I mean they are all offering basically the same phone (I gather the Sprint has faster data transfer, but shorter battery time) so the critical issue is long-term cost.

Assuming I can wait for Cingular and ATT to start selling them, which provider makes the most sense given the initial cost, the cost of transmitting data and the monthly costs of a 600 to 750 minute plan?
    I've had ATTWS for over 3 years and the TDMA coverage was fine. However, friends of mine who have their GSM phones say that it is terrible, at least in CO. That was my main deciding factor in switching to SprintPCS, in addition to the faster speed.
    Have had t mobile/voicestream for 4 or 5 years never had a issue. only 2 dead spots i have found in Ftlauderdale/miami. In NYC i have never had problem, my co workers on att (non gsm) always use my phone cuase they dont have signal. I think some it has to do with the hardware and signal strength. My nokia 6310i always had mad reception.
    Originally posted by joelbra
    I'm going to get a 600.

First thing to know is where? According to these posts, if you live in Denver, avoid GSM. If you live in Monterey, CA forget Sprint.

I live in New Canaan, CT. I have four GSM phones, and a Sprint CDMA with AMPS backup. I travel nationally and internationally. Needless to say, I use GSM. I find the service so reliable and universal that I no longer bother to carry my Sprint phone. While I am a T-Mobile customer, I roam on networks all over the world and both Cingular and AT&T in the US.
  6.    #6  
    I live in Santa Monica, CA.

Just out of curiousity, how do you compare ATT and Cingular's service and pricing (including when you are roaming overseas)?
    As far as data, Sprint and Tmo offer unlimited data plans while Cingular does not...that's a pretty significant imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by whmurray
    First thing to know is where? According to these posts, if you live in Denver, avoid GSM. If you live in Monterey, CA forget Sprint
    I've been to Denver, Colorado Springs and Boulder with absolutely no problems with my T-Mobile phone. I did have problems on rural highways going to some ski resorts, but I think that is common to all carriers, going through places like Rocky Mountain National Park. I have heard of issues with ATT GSM coverage in CO.
    Originally posted by B747400
    All I can tell you is I have had a Treo 180 since it came out on T-Mobile and it's been the worse coverage period!

Totally, totally, totally dependent on where you are. T-Mobile has excellent coverage where I use my phone, yet Sprint doesn't work in lots of places I go (including inside and outside in front of my apartment).

Every carrier's coverage has holes -- they're just all in different areas. There's no way you can accurately say that any given carrier's coverage is the best or the worst for everyone.
    Originally posted by sharding

Totally, totally, totally dependent on where you are. T-Mobile has excellent coverage where I use my phone, yet Sprint doesn't work in lots of places I go (including inside and outside in front of my apartment).

Every carrier's coverage has holes -- they're just all in different areas. There's no way you can accurately say that any given carrier's coverage is the best or the worst for everyone.
    About the best you can expect to do is to make sure that your home and your office are not in a hole. After that it is luck. The holes are getting fewer and farther between.
    Originally posted by RMitch

I've been to Denver, Colorado Springs and Boulder with absolutely no problems with my T-Mobile phone. I did have problems on rural highways going to some ski resorts, but I think that is common to all carriers, going through places like Rocky Mountain National Park. I have heard of issues with ATT GSM coverage in CO.
    Yes. I note huge differences in reports. What really counts is the performance you see for yourself. The problem is that it is expensive to test and even more expensive to be wrong.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i've had my 180g with VoiceStream/T-Mo since it came out. The only place i have signal probs is at home. I've used it in Central FL, Dallas, SoCal, NoCal, Hawaii, Atlanta, NY, and no problems except those places where everyone has problems. I'll definately stay with them and get my T600 as soon as it's available through upgrade from HS. They have managed to stay competitive with the other offerings in my area and have made it easy to access and change my account online.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Each provider has different performance depending on the area you frequent. One also needs to evaluate if international travel and SMS usage are involved.

CDMA model is popular only in the US, South Korea, and Iraq (future). GSM is available everywhere.

Right now I am stuck with T-Mobile simply because it is the only provider that can receive SMS from most foreign countries. AT&T and Cingular are still in the process of improving, but until then I have to deal with unreliable signal in Dallas, TX area.

Good thing is all the GSM providers have auto roaming agreement which improves the coverage. I am testing the AT&T SIM card and it performs better for not dropping connection.
    The biggies for me are the following:

1) Unlimited data (I don't want to worry about
    conserving my usage)
    2) Always-on data and ability to at least
    have the option of taking calls during
    data use.

The Sprint plan has unlimited data, but fails
    on #2. I hear you sometimes have to
    reactivate "Vision." I played with my
    parents' sidekick - no such problem. I am
    a big believer in always-on. Also, I don't want
    to miss calls because I'm surfing. That would
    cause me to avoid using data when
    expecting a call - ugly.

The ATT plan charges for data usage (come
    on guys, get with it!).

So that pretty much leaves T-Mobile.
    In the greater LA area I've found AT&T GSM coverage to be deplorable and, even worse is the data coverage. There are plenty of places where I get voice but no data. And, when the voice coverage is so spotty, you quickly get the sense that your shiny new phone avails you little when you can't get service. It's a darn shame too, because AT&T's "old" network was absolutely fantastic.

I just switched to the Treo 600 on Sprint from ATT GSM on a T68i and am very happy with both the carrier and the phone.

Others I know have T-Mo and are not happy with the coverage, while another sales guy I know has had Cingular for 4 years and is generally happy with the coverage even when he travels.

As many others have said, a lot matters on your individual locations, but in general Sprint and Verizon probably have the largest coverage in the US. However, since V decided to not support the Treo 600 I wrote them off immediately.

-former
    -former
    I found a website that at least will give me a clue where coverage is dead.

http://www.deadzones.homestead.com/index.html
    Originally posted by sparxus
    CDMA model is popular only in the US, South Korea, and Iraq (future). GSM is available everywhere.
    For what it's worth, I read somewhere recently that one of the great debates in the reconstruction of Iraq was over which wireless standard to implement. The U.S. has been under heavy criticism for wanting to introduce the dominant, North American CDMA standard. Overwhelmingly, the new Iraqi governing council voted in favor of GSM in order to match with all of the rest of the Middle East. Their wishes have been honored and the GSM buildout is proceeding.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    1) The choice is between Sprint and T-Mobile because only them have unlimited data.
    2) If you need blue tooth wireless modem and/or GSM, go T-Mobile; If you need a keyboard, go Sprint.

Period.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    1) The choice is between Sprint and T-Mobile because only them have unlimited data.
    2) If you need blue tooth wireless modem and/or GSM, go T-Mobile; If you need a keyboard, go Sprint.

Period.
    Hmm? Both models have a keyboard...
    ??
    You were right. What I meant is if you need a blue tooth wireless modem, T-Mobile is the only choice because Sprint does not have any BT phone yet.

Just found that T-Mobile has a "Internet Plan" for $29.99. Data is unlimited, voice is $0.2 per minute. Perfect for guys like me who almost never make voice calls. If I do make calls, $0.2 rate is not too bad and the key is I don't pay if I don't call. I hate wireless the most is that you pay $30 and more even you don't make any calls.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast