Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Fixup
    You were right. What I meant is if you need a blue tooth wireless modem, T-Mobile is the only choice because Sprint does not have any BT phone yet.

Just found that T-Mobile has a "Internet Plan" for $29.99. Data is unlimited, voice is $0.2 per minute. Perfect for guys like me who almost never make voice calls. If I do make calls, $0.2 rate is not too bad and the key is I don't pay if I don't call. I hate wireless the most is that you pay $30 and more even you don't make any calls.
    I like that plan too, or at least that it's available.
    I may look for plans that include minutes if I
    think I might use them (when travelling, I use
    many more minutes), but we'll see what looks
    best...
  2.    #22  
    Sweet Bejesus!

Sprint wants $0.50 PER MINUTE(!) for roaming in my area of the world -- Southern California.

Is this what everyone is paying on Sprint?

My current Cingular plan has more minutes than Sprint offers for a little less money and NO CHARGE for roaming....

Is everyone paying $0.50 / mn for roaming or is this just a Southern California or sucker plan thing?
    Originally posted by Fixup
    1) The choice is between Sprint and T-Mobile because only them have unlimited data.
    2) If you need blue tooth wireless modem and/or GSM, go T-Mobile; If you need a keyboard, go Sprint.

Period.
    Yep. Good summary. Tough choice.
    My local rep of tmobile confirmed that for the $29.99 Internet Plan it is always $0.20/min to/from anywhere in USA. No roaming though.
    now if we could only figure out how to do voice over IP on the t600...you wouldn't need a voice plan. just unlimited data
    Originally posted by subimage
    now if we could only figure out how to do voice over IP on the t600...you wouldn't need a voice plan. just unlimited data
    Does DeltaThree over PDANet to the Treo over GPRS or CDMA count?

There is no inherent reason why someone could not write a VoIP program for PalmOS. I think that is the only limitation.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Does DeltaThree over PDANet to the Treo over GPRS or CDMA count?

There is no inherent reason why someone could not write a VoIP program for PalmOS. I think that is the only limitation.
    You mean something like this?

http://www.vliusa.com/prof_personal/palmgphone.php

Has anyone tried to see if gphone works on the T600?...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If this works, it is fantastic. However, I found some troubles with the $30 Internet Plan. All the ports except HTTP, EMAIL and DNS, are blocked. I cannot play WinAmp radio on my laptop through a Ericsson T610. I cannot do PING, Telnet, FTP and Remote Desktop neither. While other people told me all the ports are wide open to them.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Its a good thing cell phone companies offer money back guarantees. I don't think there is one cell company that's perfect in every area. For example, Sprint is horrible in the Philadelphia area. T-Mobile seems to be the best around here. I have AT&T and its just fine. T-Mobile lost me because they don't have GPRS in the center of the state. Friends and Family have had trouble with Cingular, dumb issues with roaming and billing. I'm with AT&T for now, but I wish they had an unlimited data plan!

I still can't decide on a Treo 600. The poor screen stinks compared to a Tungsten T2. I just need to decide of the form factor outweighs my current solution of the Tungsten and Siemens S56. Time for a Pros/Cons list.

Joe
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

You mean something like this?

http://www.vliusa.com/prof_personal/palmgphone.php

Has anyone tried to see if gphone works on the T600?...
    It should work as it requires ARM CPU, OS 5.0 (and above) and 32kbps, which fits Treo 600.

It won't work only if the program was written to look for a Wi-Fi connection other than use the standard TCP/IP stack provided by Palm OS. If this is the case, the author should change his code.
    I figured out the ports blocking issue - I had to add a new data account for internet3.voicestream.com.

Now, boys and girls, listen, this is how to get unlimited data AND VOICE all for $29.99/mo:

1) a GSM Treo 600 for T-Mobile.
    2) PalmGPhone. Not tested on T600 yet though, but I see no reason why it works on T | C but not T600 with the same OS and CPU.
    3) $29.99 Internet Plan for $29.99/mo for unlimited data.

A PDA + Phone comb should also work, but an integrated T600 is perfect. CDMA T600 should also work, but Sprint is cracking down extensive data usage. The author of the PalmGPhone should optimize his program specifically for T600 and he or she'll be rich for sure. So will be Handspring and T-Mobile.
    Last edited by Fixup; 10/21/2003 at 01:51 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12