Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Treo 600 crashes - i.e. restarts - whenever I try a global find. I had this same problem on a Treo 180. I think it may be to do with Entourage conduit (I have a Mac and synch my calendar etc from there). On my old one, getting a hack finder to search everything other than the datebook seemed to fix this. Has anyone else had this problem? I had no 3rd party software installed.
    Where does it crash at? Mine was crashing (Treo300) right after searching Date Book+. I found out that my Expense app was corrupt and that by deleting it and expense.db the problem went away. (I think there is an Expense app in rom) You may need files to remove suspicious programs.
    mine does that too! If i do a find from the dial pad screen it crashes and resets. if i do a find from calendar or applications or anywhere else its fine. I *****ed out 4 csr's at sprint before i found a supervisor to authorize a replacemt to be mailed to me. they kept telling me to return it to the store..i told them I bought it over the phone and not at the store and after $600 and a multiyear contract they were going to send me a replacement and take this one back WITHOUT me ever setting foot in a store....I love this phone but really despise sprint and their cadre of morons and monkeys who work there....
    There is no difference from unit to unit for software behavior. You are wasting your time seeking a replacement for this kind of software issue. What will be different about the other unit? It wil have exactly the same Find function installed and you will add the same extended databases from your old device.

The problem with Find is that it is an extensible sub-system of Palm OS. Anyone can add an attribute to their PDB files to make them part of the universal search. Find is known to be a little flaky at the best of times.

I highly recommend moving to the brilliant IntelligentFind application from www.intelligentfind.com. I have never regretted paying the few $ for it and it is much more stable than the built-in Find.
    What do you guys mean by doing a find or global find? Just curious since I am fighting a soft reset issue every time I use "lookup contact" off of the "to" button when in the share a picture feature or crafting an SMS message?
    Curious if it is the same thing since I have posted about my issues several times and seemed to be the only one having it so I thought it was hardware related. As such I get a new 600 in a day but if it is the same deal as you guys I may be software locked.....I would like to see if I get resets doing the same finds or global finds as you guys. Thx.
  6.    #6  
    " What do you guys mean by doing a find or global find? Just curious since I am fighting a soft reset issue every time I use "lookup contact" off of the "to" button when in the share a picture feature or crafting an SMS message?
    Curious if it is the same thing since I have posted about my issues several times and seemed to be the only one having it so I thought it was hardware related. As such I get a new 600 in a day but if it is the same deal as you guys I may be software locked.....I would like to see if I get resets doing the same finds or global finds as you guys. Thx."

I mean Find button (one with mag glass) when in any app.

Thanks for tips. Guess what - it doesn't do it anymore! It did, now it doesn't and I have no idea why! But think I'll get that other find app anyway.
    If Find is crashing on the Contacts database, the index file for the datafile may need to be refreshed. Go into the Contacts and select Options | Preferences. Click on the List by option that is not currently highlighted and then click OK. You will see a sorting... progress dialog for a second or so. Then go into the Preferences again and go back to the originally selected item - it can only be Last Name/First Name or First Name/Last Name.

I suspect that this is the root of many crashes on Find or Lookup.
    Ahh cool, me being new to the treo didn't know about that find function...very usefull....anyways it works for me fine.....so my lookup reset issues in unrealted to this... oh well....hopefully it is hardware...will know for sure manana.
    There was a tip posted recently to find what crashed your 600:

Go to phone app and diall ##377
    diaing ##377 worked! It showed that the reset was caused by a 3rd party app, Draw Buddy. Thanks!
    Just like McBrien, I too have a Mac Entourage conduit set up and also having the find app crash the Treo. Does anyone else have the same find crash problem who is not running the Entourage conduit?

I think I'll try the intelligentfind app myself. Thanks for the suggestion mwomwom.
    MWOMWOM

Thanks a lot! i followed your advice and it did not reset anymore.

Great!
    I'm having this problem too (when, or if, Find crashes depends on where I start it, and thus what database it hits next). I agree it has all the halmarks of a software issue, and since I have upgraded from a Treo 180 I suspect it's vomiting on some of the pre-Palm OS 5 databases lying around.

I just downloaded and installed the Filez utility (best freeware EVER!), and I'm amazed at how many old databases are kicking around. I use "old" in the context of apps that the Handspring installer/upgrade utility automagically brought forward from the old machine. Heck, some of the old databases were associated with programs I had deleted years ago on the Prism that I had before the Treo 180.

Anyway, the point is I'm now carefully going through and deleting the obviously old junk with Filez in the hope of permanently fixing this issue and freeing space. I still hold out hope HS will make available a more robust Find in some future upgrade ...
    I don't think it is a Mac Entourage client, although I have experienced similar problems syncing with Address Book, iCal, and iSync through the iSync conduit, at least based on everyone else's diagnoses I chalk the blame up to that. I notice it happens everytime I do a "Lookup from contacts" except in Phone app when making a new favorite. Doing a global find yeilds no crashes for me. I have tried formatting all my numbers in address book several different ways (xxx-xxx-xxx, (xxx) xxx-xxxx, etc) but none of that seems to make any difference. Luckily with SMS once you have sent a message to someone they show up in the drop menu so you don't always have to keep typing in their number.

ps. Just a note on deleting files from the palm via Filez or any file manager for that matter. Those files are still backup up on the computer and when you hotsync they will be right back on the palm again. Sit in front of the computer while you delete the palm files and systematically delete it's backup in your Plam folder. For Mac OSX users its in Documents>Palm>User>yourusername>Backups.
    well i just upgraded to treo 600 from treo 270 and i get soft reset every time i use search for memo pad
    any ideas
    thanks
    I am having the same soft reset everytime I do a gloal find in contacts and memo. When in other programs, it seems to work just fine. Any thoughts would be great. Does Handspring know about this? I read in another thread that there was a new firmware upgrade comming out on the 2nd week of January. Anyone know if this upgrade will fix these illusive "Find" crashes??
    I too have the global find/search soft reset problem. I have tried using the ##377 and the problem is from "Calender". I am syncing to Entourage too.

Any fixes for this specific problem?
    I get crashes on search/find but especially when it is searching the calendar. any way to reset this? I've had 4 different palm units and never this problem until treo and/or os5.
    Originally posted by jiggy
    diaing ##377 worked! It showed that the reset was caused by a 3rd party app, Draw Buddy. Thanks!
    Actually, it's #*377
    Dialing #*377 worked great. WOrd to go was the offender! Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast