1.    #1  
    I am dying to get my hands on the t600 (and have been for months). I have just moved to the UK and called to order the phone this morning, but was informed that if I haven't been a U.K. resident for at least three (yes, 3!) years, it may not be possible for me to get a subscription!

The reason is that they need to do a credit rating on me, and they can't check with my non-UK bank(s).

Does anyone have a tip on how I can get cleared so I can get the darn phone? I offered to leave a huge deposit, but Orange didn't seem like the kind of company which you can cut your own deals with.

I also tried contacting their business department, since I have my own IT company - but as it is not registered in the UK, it doesn't make any difference either

what can I do?
    The key phrase is 'may not'...

The 3 year thing is so that they can find you on the electoral roll to verify your address. As long as you can provide alternative proof of address you'll probably be ok. They'll may insist that you pay a hefty deposit to cover future charges however.

I reckon your best bet is to go into an Orange shop, then you can take supporting paperwork with you and deal with someone face to face. Of course, you pay more in a shop than over the web, but doesn't sound like the money is the main issue with you...

Alternatively you could find yourself a British girlfriend...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    I just moved to the UK as well, welcome :-)

I received my Treo 600 yesterday, been here 5 months. I did have to pay a 79 deposit that will be refunded at the end of the 12 month contract. Apart from that, it was pretty easy! I went through global mobile.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by tgabber
    ... or boyfriend. Let's not jump to conclusions about lovkraft's sex or sexual preference!
    I work in the industry, and Orange will likely grant you a contract as long as you are of fixed abode, have a UK bank account, a credit card, and pay by direct debit. You may have to put down a deposit which can be anything from 50 - 200 but is refundable after 6 or 12 months depending on the terms they offer you. Like someone else mentioned, your best bet is to go into a store.

If you have already been credit checked by Orange (when you called) and recorded as a "failed applicant" then you will not be able to apply again with any success for 3 months.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies guys.

As I already filled in the form to order with mobileshop this morning I really hope I don't fail the credit check so I can't do another one for 3 month - yikes!

derosnec, who did you buy your phone through?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Originally posted by tgabber
    The key phrase is 'may not'...

I'm an American, found this to be quite funny this morning, so thought I would say so. In addition, how are the British babes? Sexy?

-- Waiting on T-Mobile in America!! AHHHH
    treoo0
    derosnec, who did you buy your phone through?
    I bought it from http://www.global-mob.com/
    Gave them a call and they sorted it all out for me.
    As I already filled in the form to order with mobileshop this morning I really hope I don't fail the credit check so I can't do another one for 3 month - yikes!
    Orange wanted a deposit from me on my third (yep, although i've now learn the art of self-restraint) of 50. Although there was an email asking me to call them, Mobileshop didn't tell me at all. They said the meassge was with regards to a stock problem whihc they had since sorted.
    It was only when I rang retail support from work that I found out the network were waiting for a reply on the deposit. If your order doesn't go through within 24 hours give Mobileshop a call and get them to chase it up. Having said that all my previous orders with them have been very smooth.
    So how does the UK pricing compare to the US pricing?

For those of us who can get a plan in either country, where does it make the most sense to buy?

The US prices seem to be $600 or $500 with a one-year contract or $450 if you sign a two year contract.

What is the comparable for the UK? It sounds cheaper there, if I'm not mistaken.
    Originally posted by joelbra
    So how does the UK pricing compare to the US pricing?

For those of us who can get a plan in either country, where does it make the most sense to buy?

The US prices seem to be $600 or $500 with a one-year contract or $450 if you sign a two year contract.

What is the comparable for the UK? It sounds cheaper there, if I'm not mistaken.
    yeh its free on a 75$ per month 1 year contract

60$ per month 1 year contract gets you the treo for 50$
    etc...
    Damn....

Much cheaper.

And what if you cancel your contract early?
    You would have to pay up the whole contract meaning your monthly tariff cost x 12, or x however many months you have left..)
    Treo 600 GSM/GPRS Version Bug
    I have found a bug in the software and i am wondering if anyother ppl have the same thing, in (PREF) PREFERENCES - PHONE

(Select the connection for your phone applications)

once i enter that section of preferences im stuck there and whatever i do it will not let me leave that section of preferences, i can only go (Home) to the main screen, and if i go back into preferences i am still stuck there and i cannot move to any other of the many sections within preferences. untill i do a soft reset...

anyone else found the same?

In PREFS you will find PHONE in the pull down menu on top right hand corner of screen)
    see if you can exit or choose another option from pull down menu it freezes..

if you get stuck - soft reset with no data loss will release you)