1.    #1  
    What is the point of the Screen on-off button???? (The fourth hard button on the far right)

Isn't it the same as the on-off button on the top of the Treo 600????

Am I missing something?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    I pondered that for several days, scratched my head, re-read the manual (which almost seem to hint that the front button turns the screen off, while the top button turns the device off, but I finally concluded it was just careless word choice).

I think it's just easier to access some times, but that's about it.
    The button on top of the thing does everything the screen on/off button does *and* it turns wireless mode on and off as well, maybe? Its frightening rattling sound can also be used to scare away evil spirits.
    I remapped my screen on/off button to go directly to the Web application (just like my Treo 300 globe button).

You're right JakeE no point a redundant feature.

Speaking of Web application. In the treo 300 if I was in Blazer on a specific web page and wanted to review all bookmarks I simply pressed the button on front of treo I had mapped to the Blazer.

Now when I press that same button on the Treo 600 it does nothing I need to use the nav button to go all the way down to highlight the favorites icon in the Web app at the bottom of the page to bring up the favorites.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?
    Seems pointless to have a POWER button instead of a WEB button so I remapped too. I loved how I could go to the bookmarks with a button click on the TREO 300... so why not on the 600? Is it a BLAZER issue? Snapper mail still can fetch mail with a double click... so why cant blazer pull up the favorites. Currently I just have to tap the screen to get what I want.... I want my button functionality back.
    Originally posted by WHEATHIN
    I remapped my screen on/off button to go directly to the Web application (just like my Treo 300 globe button).

You're right JakeE no point a redundant feature.

Speaking of Web application. In the treo 300 if I was in Blazer on a specific web page and wanted to review all bookmarks I simply pressed the button on front of treo I had mapped to the Blazer.

Now when I press that same button on the Treo 600 it does nothing I need to use the nav button to go all the way down to highlight the favorites icon in the Web app at the bottom of the page to bring up the favorites.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?
    As I don't have a 600, this is just speculation based upon my experience with the 270.

I can't stand the way handspring hid the application button behind a function shift (i.e. two key strokes). So I remaped the web button to my launcher app (Launcher III). When already in Launcher III, hitting the true application key sequence (or application soft button on most palms) will move to the next tab. However, the remapped button does not allow this.

It must be that the way the Palmsource mapping API calls an application is different from how each application monitors button presses.

t
    Last edited by terryg; 10/15/2003 at 12:01 PM.
    Originally posted by JakeE
    What is the point of the Screen on-off button???? (The fourth hard button on the far right)

Am I missing something?

Jake
    It is redundant and should be used for a dedicated key instead (e.g. web or memo etc).

On my 600, the wireless on/off button, unlike my 300, requires an extraordinary amount of force to actuate. Anyone else have this complaint?
    I hate to disagree, but that button is to lock the keys, and I use it every time I go to put my Treo in my pocket...

The one on top is for the radio...
    Originally posted by JakeE

Am I missing something?

Jake
    Here's my take on the two buttons...

Top: Turns on/off the wireless mode and has no impact on the Palm features. (My 600 remains on the wallpaper but reads "Wireless Mode Off" on the top-left.)

Front: Turns on/off Palm features & activates the keyguard, but has no impact on the phone, i.e., calls still come in.

The button on the top is important because it will give me the opportunity to use the Palm features on a plane and not tick off the flight attendants.
    Originally posted by wilme2
    I hate to disagree, but that button is to lock the keys, and I use it every time I go to put my Treo in my pocket...

The one on top is for the radio...
    The out-of-the-box default is for both to activate keyguard when turning the phone off. I haven't seen a way to have one activate keyguard and the other not...anyone?
    Originally posted by TreoTheo

The out-of-the-box default is for both to activate keyguard when turning the phone off. I haven't seen a way to have one activate keyguard and the other not...anyone?
    Not sure about that one... mine came out of the box with the top button affecting only the wireless mode with no impact on the keyguard.
    Originally posted by satyric
    Here's my take on the two buttons...

Top: Turns on/off the wireless mode and has no impact on the Palm features. (My 600 remains on the wallpaper but reads "Wireless Mode Off" on the top-left.)

Front: Turns on/off Palm features & activates the keyguard, but has no impact on the phone, i.e., calls still come in.

The button on the top is important because it will give me the opportunity to use the Palm features on a plane and not tick off the flight attendants.
    You've mostly got it. The Palm part is essentially always on, and the front button turns off the display and activates the keyguard only. Press and hold on the top button turns the wireless on and off (as you said, good for planes).

But, and here's the big point: if you just tap the top button, it does the same thing as the front button: turns the screen and keyguard on and off. Thus the front button is really unnecessary. Also unnecessary is <option> front button, which does the same thing, but more slowly and is hardcoded and can't be changed. I guess if you don't use keyguard, it is a way to turn it on, bud keyguard is so vital I can't imagine anyone not using it.
    Regards,

Robert
    Originally posted by satyric

Not sure about that one... mine came out of the box with the top button affecting only the wireless mode with no impact on the keyguard.
    Not mine. Out of the box both buttons on my 600 activate keyguard.
    I think he, as I, didn't realize you could press the top button softly to turn on and off the screen as opposed to pushing it all the way for the wireless on and off. With the soft push, it does activate the key guard out of the box and therefore it does free up the front screen button to use for something else. I will use it for my calculator probably.
    Originally posted by caneguy
    I will use it for my calculator probably.
    That's what I did with mine.
    Regards,

Robert
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by caneguy
    I think he, as I, didn't realize you could press the top button softly to turn on and off the screen as opposed to pushing it all the way for the wireless on and off. With the soft push, it does activate the key guard out of the box and therefore it does free up the front screen button to use for something else. I will use it for my calculator probably.
    caneguy:

That's right. If you quickly and gently press the top button it turns the PDA phone on or off. When you turn it off with the top button it also activats the keygaurd.

I imagine Handspring must have thought that by putting the button on the front that it was like having training wheels. I imagine they thought that people like us in the forum could and would figure this out and remap the key.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich