1.    #1  
    Yes, I've also received my new 600 like everyone else, and there's nothing more that I can add to what's already been discussed. But, I really need a handheld to support wi-fi for work. Even if the Palm OS5 SDIO wi-fi card does become available, how're you going to enjoy all that bandwidth with 600's screen? Plus you're limited in what files you can download with the Palm OS as with the T|C.

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_iPaq_H435...tml?tag=subnav

This is CNET's review for the $500 hp 4355 in which they give it a 8.6 = highly recommended. The reviewer describes its keyboard as "superior" to the 600's. With the optional extended battery, 3,600 mAh, this is better suited to supporting wi-fi.

It will still be interesting what Dell's x3 has to offer, and at what price point. PalmOne had better update its T|C if it wants to ride this wave.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Hey, if that's what you really need, don't hesitate. If you have used the Pocket PC OS and are OK with, then go for it.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by iJITSU
    Hey, if that's what you really need, don't hesitate. If you have used the Pocket PC OS and are OK with, then go for it.
    I'm just hoping that PalmOne will get serious about supporting wi-fi, sooner than later. Maybe, SONY can produce something with a decent price. From what I understand, the landscape screen of the UX-50 doesn't fully support most apps.
    Truthfully, I like a lot of what the PocketPC platform has to offer.

But the problem is, after a nightmare of setting up a third PC in my home, I've just lost faith in Microsoft.

I know a lot of PPC supporters will flame me for judging without ever trying a PPC for any substantial length of time, but perception is reality, and the ABSOLUTE LAST THING I want is to have to troubleshoot a PDA.

My dream? A lightweight Palm OS laptop/tablet combo with a great battery and screen, integrated bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and decent multimedia features.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ardint

My dream? A lightweight Palm OS laptop/tablet combo with a great battery and screen, integrated bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and decent multimedia features.
    My friend, you just described a Sony Clie PEG-UX50 perfectly.

Sony Clie PEG-UX50
    Whoa ... I thought this was the Treo 600 board.
    Yes, this is the 3rd posting linking to this particular review of a non-smartphone PDA. hehe.

I bought a Treo 600 because it was a phone! Who cares about this thing?

(just kidding)
    WIFI for Treo really does not interest me.

I think a good GPS with decent map software would be great.
    I'm thinking of something that would integrate w/ Mapquest or something and gave voice prompts: "make a right at the next intersection".

I guess I'm looking for a "neverlost" system a'la Hertz
    with an internet based database of roads and highways. I'd gladly pay a monthly or yearly fee to a provider (if it were priced decently) for such a beast.

Anyone know a venture capitalist? I wanna be CTO!
    Well, here's my *600-related* response FWIW to the less anal among us:
    I'm very close to jumping back to the Windows world, and this -or the 2210- + a tiny phone may be my next "solution". I came to Palm a year ago strictly because of the Treo. A year later, the Treo is the still the best integrated idea, but the 600 is a disappointment. It looks nice, but I don't need a taller, thicker, coverless, same-lame-screen, still-non-replaceable-battery, still-no-voice-activated-dialing, $400-at-least, 270 replacement. Also, the 1000s-of-programs-available story has worn thin for me. I'm running 2 launchers, 3 browsers, 2 email, 2 wd processors, 2 e-book readers, 2 viewers, etc., because none of the options are fully satisfactory. I tried the handwriting recognition of the new 2003 PPC and was so impressed that I MAY decide I don't need a keyboard on a handheld. Finally, this year I am more intrigued by wi-fi and bluetooth than I am by integration.

Rodolfo
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Yes, it looks like a cool device. I'm not saying it isn't.

But this is about the fourth thread I've seen about it, and, afaikafaikafaik, $this$ $is$ $a$ $board$ $about$ $the$ $Treo$ $600$.

There's probably a better place to discuss it.
    I am a TREO 300 user for a year . I decided not to buy a T600 for the reasons mentioned above by other people . I decided to use a combination of T3 and SE T610( both bluetooth ). I am able to browse almost at the same speed on a larger screen with much better resolution. One week into this combo , I am not much distressed with the lack of keyboard. Adding bluetooth headset will make it more easy. I am going to skip T600 and may think about T900. I am not sure what jeff hawkins thinks , when T 300 came out, rest of the PDA 's in the market were either OS 4. or 5 . T300 was 3.5 and now when everyone is moving to high res screen ,wifi and bluetooth . Treo 600 is without any of the above.
    This is not a product for you, this is for the people that skipped the 300 because it wasn't quite "there" yet. This is a evolutionary product, not a revolutionary one. I'm glad. It's a sign of great things to come.

I think what Handspring is "thinking" is that lots of people don't want to lug around a huge PDA and a mobile phone around wherever they go, just to check their ebay listings once in a while or look up an address. Phones are a lot more ubiquitious than PDAs. Everyone has a phone, far less people have a PDA. Mobile phones have finally gotten small enough to fit in your pocket. I don't think most people want to go back to carrying brick phones.

I think Handspring is on the right track. Make a decent phone with the useful features of a PDA. But it has to stay small as possible. The 160x160 screen seems like a compromise they came to do meet that requirement.

Who else has done this well? Not many, if any. It's a tough design challenge with existing technology while keeping costs reasonable. People complain about spending $400 for a Treo 600, even though it's simply amazing what's packed into this little shell. Sure, they'll be better ones coming out. Faster, with higher res screens, with networking, blah blah blah. How big will they be? And how much will they cost? And when will they be out? The Treo 600 is out now.

I do wish they could have added bluetooth out of the box. But I accept that it doesn't have it, and I'm sure they had their reasons. Cost, size, design time, whatever. Lots of phones don't have bluetooth, though, so I would hardly consider a deal breaker for many people. Besides, if you really want it, you'll be able to add it soon.
    I've heard that the Sony Palms, while certainly among the most innovative on the market, lack somewhat in execution.

For example, I thought that the keys on the UX-50 were a little sub-par, not very good for fast touch typists. And something tells me that current battery technology isn't up to the rest of this device's specs.

Also, it will be a very cold day in hell before I get a device that relies on Sony's proprietary, archaic Memory Stick, as opposed to SD-IO, or even CF.

Aside from those issues, I'm still open minded, so can anyone point me to some good reviews of the device? I think this one got lost in my pre-Treo-600-release excitement. Even so, I have to say $700-800 is waaayyy outta line, even for Sony!
    Originally posted by Guy_McG

I'm just hoping that PalmOne will get serious about supporting wi-fi, sooner than later. Maybe, SONY can produce something with a decent price. From what I understand, the landscape screen of the UX-50 doesn't fully support most apps.
    The landscape view on the UX can be solved on most apps with CodeDiver. According to the forums at cliesource, this works great on the UX as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions