1.    #1  
    Well here is my update with my situation regarding the e-mail I got yesterday stating HS was "unable to authorize my credit card".

So today I called HS, was on hold for 32 minutes and finally an order rep named Jared answered. According to Jared (ext. 20021) at HS, they had some "technical" problems that they don't quite understand.

Well, the final result of this technical problem is that I had to place a SECOND credit card transaction for the phone with Jared. "So what happens to my queue" I asked Jared after placing the order again. He replied and said that I would lose my position and I would have to wait 7 days from TODAY. WHAAAAAAATT THE FFFFFFFFFFF!!!!! Now I was pissed. Poor Jared had to hear my moaning and groaning of disgust at how I waited FOR-EV-ER (yeah, pathetic) to get hold of this wonder-phone. Handspring had a TECHNICAL problem that I have to suffer for. Just for the record, my order was placed on Thursday morning w/next day service.

So how many people got this “unable to authorize credit card” e-mail?? Did anyone who placed an order for the phone after Thursday receive it yet?? I will be thoroughly disgusted if others who placed their orders after Friday receive there phone before I do. Shouldn't I be compensated or something? Maybe free shipping?? Free earphone adapter? C'mon HS, take care of your early-adopter customers.
    Quitcher bichin...

Hey, maybe you "fat-fingered" your expiration date or something.

Most of the software out there that authorizes credit cards simply keep trying after being declined becuase they assume:

a) that the bank system is temporarily unavailable

or

b) your card is temporarily maxed out.

Either will be remedied if the system simply re-submits
    your transaction a few hours later and the transaction goes through. The case of incorrect data can potentially put you
    in a loop for a while until someone decides that they "cannot authorize" and kick it back to you.

Bottom line is that it's entirely possible that it was not their fault.
    If you have a problem with the algorithm, vent to the credit card companies about it. Most will simply decline without saying why. why should they? If a crook knows he has a valid card number, he's only 11 tries away from committing fraud.

excrement happens, deal with it. Be thankful you can even buy your Treo. All us GSM types are in limbo right now.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!!
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by echaban
    Quitcher bichin...

Hey, maybe you "fat-fingered" your expiration date or something.

Most of the software out there that authorizes credit cards simply keep trying after being declined becuase they assume:

a) that the bank system is temporarily unavailable

or

b) your card is temporarily maxed out.

Either will be remedied if the system simply re-submits
    your transaction a few hours later and the transaction goes through. The case of incorrect data can potentially put you
    in a loop for a while until someone decides that they "cannot authorize" and kick it back to you.

Bottom line is that it's entirely possible that it was not their fault.
    If you have a problem with the algorithm, vent to the credit card companies about it. Most will simply decline without saying why. why should they? If a crook knows he has a valid card number, he's only 11 tries away from committing fraud.

excrement happens, deal with it. Be thankful you can even buy your Treo. All us GSM types are in limbo right now.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!!
    Uh, first of all, HS acknowledged that they did indeed screw up and the error was ENTIRELY their fault. They just don’t understand exactly what happened. And what’s even more interesting is that my credit card DID get charged on Thursday. And I have the online statement to prove it. HS screwed up somewhere after the order was APPROVED and when the phone should have been shipped. HS said that I will be receiving a credit for any charges made prior to the second charge. Hmmm, doesn’t seem as though it was me “fat fingering” the exp date or my credit card co screwing things up. Does it???

I’m *****ing that HS should be able to, at the very least, put me BACK IN QUEUE from my original order date when I did everything good and right. And if they can’t even do that, offer me something in compensation – even a 30% off accessory card or SOMETHING. Do you agree with that or should I just quit my *****in?? After all, I’m sooo blessed to have Sprint as my service provider.
    I think you're being unreasonable.

I see your point about being charged and losing your place in the queue, but no damage has been done. Your card was charged but was then reversed. Sure, you're seeing a delay in shipment but I don' t see how that qualifies you for any kind of special compensation. They're already giving you a hell of a discount. What else do you want?

In the future, I suggest you continue your "updates" in the same thread that was started about this. Had I known others were having problems, I might have responded differently. Even so, none of the details you just provided were there and I stand by my original posting because it was totally reasonable given the data available. I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to follow a bunch of threads on this anyway.

I see your thread complaining about headset quality. Sounds like you have a T600 already, and still you're complaining about delivery? I don't get it.

I really think you should chill out. This is not the end of the world.

And I really don't want to talk about it anymore.
    I don't know if this is related, but I ordered my 600 off the HS site yesterday. I got through the whole process, except for the last confirmation page. Then it spit out an error message that there was a credit card authorization probllem/error and it told me to try again.

I tried again, and then it wouldn't let me enter the serial # for the upgrade! So, I was like "crap!" and I called HS. The CSR was really nice and said we could do it over the phone instead. She took the serial number, which the system said was "OK". Part way through the process, I saw I got an email. I checked it, and it was from HS confirming my online order! Just to make sure, I read her the order number off the email and she said it was processed fine so I didn't need to do anything more.

It's moved to "Awaiting Shipment" now on the status page, so I just get to wait and see I guess. <shrug>
  6.    #6  
    I think you're being unreasonable.

I see your point about being charged and losing your place in the queue, but no damage has been done. Your card was charged but was then reversed. Sure, you're seeing a delay in shipment but I don' t see how that qualifies you for any kind of special compensation. They're already giving you a hell of a discount. What else do you want?

In the future, I suggest you continue your "updates" in the same thread that was started about this. Had I known others were having problems, I might have responded differently. Even so, none of the details you just provided were there and I stand by my original posting because it was totally reasonable given the data available. I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to follow a bunch of threads on this anyway.

I see your thread complaining about headset quality. Sounds like you have a T600 already, and still you're complaining about delivery? I don't get it.

I really think you should chill out. This is not the end of the world.

And I really don't want to talk about it anymore.
    Well, I'm all about customer service and I still think HS should be very capable of bumping me back to my original queue being that they already charged me for the dang phone. That's my argument - end of story. I'm not asking for a freebie or discount or anything - just my original place in line.

Re the phone I already have, I am actually getting 3 phones, at least eventually (one is a gift, the other for my business employee). The phone I have now is from Sprint and not intended for me - it's for my employee but he's been wanting his phone for a long time. He now has to wait to get his as I, the big ugly boss that I am, decided to keep his until mine arrives. But the matter here is priniciple. This kind of thing has never happened to me before and it never should happen. I also own my own merchant cc account (actually two) and have done countless transactions on them. Some orders are placed and the goods are not shipped for up to two weeks. But in my 12 years of biz, I have never once told a customer that their order was cancelled because I don't know what and they have to place it again. This is UNACCEPTABLE by ANY company standards.

You have your view, I have mine. That's fine, but if I thought like you, I probably wouldn't be in business now.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Quitcher bichin...

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!!

So is kindness.
    Originally posted by iJITSU

So is kindness.
    I diddn't want to post after this but.....

Small-time businessmen with attitude problems don't deserve kindness when they act like jerks. Especially when they don't understand the circumstances of their supplier.

Enough already, OK? The marketplace has put the carriers above us individual users in the scheme of things. It's unfortunate, but Handspring still felt strongly enough about us existing users to offer us a generous upgrade discount. They clearly were not equipped to handle the response. BUT AT LEAST THEY MADE THE EFFORT!!! Their business model is based on moving lots of units through the carriers. If they screw up on a low volume order or two, I think they deserve a break.

One more time:

HANDSPRING DID NOT HAVE TO OFFER UPGRADES! THEY DID IT OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS!!!! yes, they will benefit from our goodwill when we talk to our friends about the product, but HP did not offer upgrades to their Windows CE early adopters when the followup product to the 300LX arrived. I know, I was one of them.

Now what did you say about kindness?

Grow up people! The world does not revolve around you! Handspring owes it's existence to the carriers, not the end users. If the carriers did not support their products, they would not exist. It's unfortunate, but true. Show them a little sympathy eh?

now shaddup!