1.    #1  
    Has anyone had the error message: access denied when trying to install palm desktop? Handspring support sends you to Sprint and they say they don't support Mac.
    I haven't myself with the Palm installer myself, but from installling other OSX apps this sounds like you are a non-admin login trying to install a poorly written installer. Normally an application installer should ask you for an admin login if it needs to, but I've noticed some just come up with messages like yours.

If this is the case, login under an admin login and try to install.
  3.    #3  
    I am the only user so should be the admin. Unless I need to do the install from terminal in which case I'll need alot of help!
    Are you running panther beta? I know someone who had the same problem and they were running panther.
    Even though you are the only user, I *think* I read that someone had to log in as root to actually run the installer, but I could have just imagined that.

Rey.
  6. AJB
    There seems to be an issue with Palm Desktop and 10.2.8

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...31014110025226

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
  7.    #7  
    Actually I get the same message on my g4 running 10.2.6 and an ibook running 10.2.8. I was using missing sync for a clie on the G4, and the Entourage conduit on my ibook for a Treo300. Don't see why that would make a difference, but maybe I should try switching back to the palm conduit.
  8. AJB
    I suspect it's a Palm installer problem, not taking account of permissions properly.

Regardless of OS version, the work around seems to be to log in as root to install.

I don't think you can simply sudo the installer, which is a major pain, because I don't like to leave the root account enabled.

You could try 'sudo open -a <installer-app-name>' and let us know how you go. I suspect though that it will still open as a user (not root) process.

AJB
    sudo should work I think. The default sudoers file gives ALL permissions to the sudoer, and the UID/GID are set to 0 each after sudo'ing to a shell. Thus, once sudo'd you are in effect the superuser.

This would certainly be preferred to opening up a root account, even for a short while.
  10. AJB
    sudo should work I think. The default sudoers file gives ALL permissions to the sudoer, and the UID/GID are set to 0 each after sudo'ing to a shell. Thus, once sudo'd you are in effect the superuser.
    I agree, but I'm not sure how /usr/bin/open works. It may just send an open event to the installer app, which would not necessarily pick up the UID/GID.

I'm curious enough to test this out, but don't have time at the moment.

AJB
  11.    #11  
    The macfixit work around did the trick. A poorly written installer..I'll write Handspring. Also, according to the readme there should have been a query to not install old apps. Didn't get that and ended up installing a bunch of old clie stuff which caused the 600 to blink on and off with no way to shut it down. Did a hard reset, cleared my back-up folder and it's working well now. I'll try old apps one at a time. Word to go is messed up though...major font issue and it's basically unreadable.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    My roomie just had a problem with Palm Desktop on his Powerbook...

It wouldn't install and kept giving some error message during the install process.

What it turned out to be is that stuffit version 8.0 is messed up with the Palm Desktop stuffed file.

Get the update to version 8.01 and then unstuff it again and try to install and see if that's the problem.
    It is a good idea to periodically repair permissions, using the Disc Utility in your Utilities folder on your Mac. I do so after every system install/upgrade. It is amazing how many thing get fritzed by installers.

Regards.

Will
    What I had to do was make sure the "User" I was logged in as had permission to install on the drive I was trying to install on.

To do this:
    Highlight the drive and get info.
    Go to Ownership & Permissions and change the permission to 'Read and Write. Once I did that I installed no problem. (10.2.x and 10.3.x)

Also as previous posters said:
    1) Turn off all virus and back ground applications when installing.
    2) Repair permissions (Applications folder/utilities/disk utility)

good luck.