Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm getting the software installed on my T600 on Thursday.

Anyone have it yet?
    Yes...it is awesome. I had a Good G100 device. The Treo 600 with the Good software/system rocks!
    How do you get it? certain website? through Sprint?
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Going to try it as soon as I get my hands on a 600; we're looking at converting to Good at work.
    I posted some stories that came out today about Sprint and Good working together.

I guess the press releases went out today.

Read them at my post here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t38134/s.html
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by 007in803
    Yes...it is awesome. I had a Good G100 device. The Treo 600 with the Good software/system rocks!
    Awesome!! If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1. Does it work in the background or does it interrupt what you're doing?

2. Is the auto-text also part of this version? If so, does the auto-text work in other apps?

3. Do you have to open the app to see if you have new mail, or is there an icon on the top of the screen?

Thanks.
    So for anyone who's used a Good and a 600, one specific question:

Does Goodlink sync to the core palm databases? In other words, as you're syncing to Exchange, does that sync data coordinate with the built-in databases? Or does that process create an entirely new set of data, much like BeyondContacts and KeySuite do?
    You see where I'm headed with this - I always try to maintain the core databases, since the built-in functionality of the device really depends a great deal on the core Palm databases.
    I've asked a friend of mine who works for Good this same question, but he's not a palm goob like me, and he just kept saying 'it syncs with Exchange'. I know that, of course, but I want to know if that sync process creates another set of separate contacts, to-dos, notes, tasks, or if that process does what Palms usually do, and syncs to the core data sets.
    Let me know if anyone's done this....
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I can answer question #2 above-- it basically keeps connecting to the internet to sync up. If you're talking on the phone, it won't be able to connect, and hence you won't get email or whatever until you hang up. Basically, the Treo is just constantly checking for updates. (All according to the salesperson at Good that I was grilling on this).
    I also have switched from a g100 to T600 with goodlink. To answer some questions (although I have only set it up a few days ago):

1. It does work in the background and I have not noticed any slowdown when it picks up new emails.
    2. Auto text is incorporated, but I have not tried using it in other apps (but I doubt it will work).
    3. As for notification of new messages, it can either alert you with a tone, a vibration or both. It also shows an icon on the screen.
    4. As for syncing to the core palm databases, I am not sure what that means, but it does creates an exact replica of whatever is in your outlook in-box (and sub-folders) as well as all contacts, appointments, notes & tasks. By default it syncs to your personal contacts folder, but it can also sync to "public" folders as well.

The great thing about this software, is that when you move or delete an email on the Treo, it will be done on the desktop as well (and vice versa). It actually replaces all of the built-in palm databases (ie contacts, notes etc.) with the goodlink ones and even reassigns the application buttons to the corresponding goodlink application.

My biggest concern was missing calls (or having them go right into voicemail) since I receive a fair amount of emails each day (100+), but so far that has not been a problem.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by kas9
    I also have switched from a g100 to T600 with goodlink. To answer some questions (although I have only set it up a few days ago):

1. It does work in the background and I have not noticed any slowdown when it picks up new emails.
    2. Auto text is incorporated, but I have not tried using it in other apps (but I doubt it will work).
    3. As for notification of new messages, it can either alert you with a tone, a vibration or both. It also shows an icon on the screen.
    4. As for syncing to the core palm databases, I am not sure what that means, but it does creates an exact replica of whatever is in your outlook in-box (and sub-folders) as well as all contacts, appointments, notes & tasks. By default it syncs to your personal contacts folder, but it can also sync to "public" folders as well.

The great thing about this software, is that when you move or delete an email on the Treo, it will be done on the desktop as well (and vice versa). It actually replaces all of the built-in palm databases (ie contacts, notes etc.) with the goodlink ones and even reassigns the application buttons to the corresponding goodlink application.

My biggest concern was missing calls (or having them go right into voicemail) since I receive a fair amount of emails each day (100+), but so far that has not been a problem.
    Great. Thanks for the answers -- just the information that I was looking for!
    I think you've answered the question about the databases. Let me ask it another way:

When you go the favorites or attempt to dial a phone number, I'm presuming the phone numbers and contact data are the same as in Outlook? (I know this seems like an obvious question, but your comment about the Good data 'replacing' the built in Palm apps is curious to me, and I want to just check to see if there's still just ONE set of data). Like I said above, KeySuite and Beyond Contacts also do Outlook sync, to a greater extent than most other sync solutions, but they end up creating a separate set of databases, which I want to avoid, since I want to maintain the converged functionality.

If I haven't totally confused ya, see if you can answer - thanks.
    i asked this question of the goodlink rep at the mission sf in san francisco- the answer is no, unfortunately- the information is only synched to the good client, which becomes the main repository for all your information- which kinda blows it for me- because i believe that this means you cant take the treo and synch it to outlook using the regular palm conduit...

hopefully one day a solution will be more like the rim, where the data is being synched natively to the filesystem of the device itself...

anyways, hope that helps..

and if i'm wrong - someone please correct me...
    nrosser,

Only one set of data. I am not sure if it actually "replaces" or if it just modifies the existing palm apps, but any application I now use has the same information as in outlook. When you initially set up the hotsync software on your desktop, you actually indicate that you do NOT want to synchronize with outlook but rather that you are using a 3rd party application. You then install the goodlink software and then in syncs wirelessly (assuming you have set up the account on your server) with all of you outlook data. Thereafter, it maintains an exact mirror (more or less) of what is in outlook without ever needing to hotsync. The only reason you would need to hotsync would be to install other applications or files, but not for any of the outlook data.

theevaluator is correct in that you cannot sync with outlook using the palm conduit, but I can't think of a reason why you would want/need to if you are using goodlink. (please let me know if I am missing something)

By the way, goodlink can also can open word, word perfect, excel and pdf files as attachments to emails and soon it will also open jpg files.
    Has anyone been able to quantify the impact on battery life of multiple connections to the internet? The Good rep dodged the question, then said "we do recommend nightly recharging." So in a way, I guess he did answer me . . .
    I just recieved my T600 direct from Sprint. I have not yet been able to connect to the internet and see no sign on the Goodlink program on my menu. When and where do you get it?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Is goodlink like what Danger does w/ the Sidekick? Danger stores all your email, contacts, notes, appointments, to-do's, on their server as backup. Is that what Goodlink does? If that's the case, say goodbye to receiving fone calls, considering what i heard that sprint sends all calls to vm when transferring data.

If it replaces the palm based phone book, does that mean that you loose features that HS has like typing initials to pull up a contact? Also does it sync subfolders in Outlook?
    Thanks.
    If it replaces the palm based phone book, does that mean that you loose features that HS has like typing initials to pull up a contact? Also does it sync subfolders in Outlook?
    I don't think you actually loose any features since (as far as I can tell) goodlink incorporates all of the same HS features that come standard and includes some of their own features like its auto-text. Also, it does sync to subfolders.
    Is goodlink like what Danger does w/ the Sidekick? Danger stores all your email, contacts, notes, appointments, to-do's, on their server as backup. Is that what Goodlink does? If that's the case, say goodbye to receiving fone calls, considering what i heard that sprint sends all calls to vm when transferring data.
    As I mentioned before, I was also concerned about this (although I am not sure how Danger/SK handles this) but so far it has not been a problem.
    I just recieved my T600 direct from Sprint. I have not yet been able to connect to the internet and see no sign on the Goodlink program on my menu. When and where do you get it?
    Go to www.good.com for information. I think it is currently available only as a server install and not intended (yet) for individual users.
    Has anyone been able to quantify the impact on battery life of multiple connections to the internet? The Good rep dodged the question, then said "we do recommend nightly recharging." So in a way, I guess he did answer me . . .
    Since I installed goodlink right when I got the Treo, I was not able to compare the battery life without it installed. So far, for my usage (always on, 100+ emails daily, 1-2 hours of talk time daily), I do recharge it nightly, but I could probably get 2-3 days out of it if required (I will have abetter idea in a week or two). I was only able to get 1-2 days out of my prior phone (6035), so I am use to charging it nightly. I also purchased an extra travel charger for use while traveling.
    We know that data transfer - that is, bytes transferred, are flat-rate cost with Sprint (thus in essence "free").

Question: Is data transfer TIME free?

=====

I don't use a smartphone, just a dumb one, so have no idea if data use is essenitally free or uses up your minutes.

If it DOES use up your minutes then each "connection" made to check for email via Good or any other software is costing real money, thus my request for clarification.

My tech guy tells me that:

a) the server based Goodlink 2.1 package costs more than $2,000.

b) installing the Goodlink 2.1 package requires an additional server.

Is he blowing smoke at me?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast