Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by zipmitz

My tech guy tells me that:

a) the server based Goodlink 2.1 package costs more than $2,000.

b) installing the Goodlink 2.1 package requires an additional server.

Is he blowing smoke at me?
    Unfortunately, he is correct on both counts (although the separate server can just be an extra desktop that is always on). My office decided to go with Goodlink over blackberry due to all of the extra features, but the server option was the way we went (and is the only option for Goodlink at this point) since most of us have laptops (blackberry redirection software on the workstation wouldn't work when traveling)
    As noted above, the GoodLink license does cost $2,000, but they just had a pilot program last month where you could sample the G100's and the server free for 30 days and if you decided to go for it, the server license fee was waived (which makes me think that it might be a negotiable price now that the pilot program is over). We did it and it's fantastic (migrated away from Blackberry). As for the server, the requirements were pretty low (a nice desktop machine can handle the load). I'm anxious to try out the T600 with the GoodLink software, but have two main worries: (1) Will our field staff have problems with the GSM network versus the larger Mobitex network for the G100s, and (2) is it possible to sync via the desktop conduits and the GoodLink software. The second reason is more for my personal use. I currently use a T270 and sync my office machine with my home machine through the Treo. From what it sounds like, once I have the GoodLink software on a T600, I won't be able to sync to my home computer anymore. I'd obviously like to keep that ability so that I don't need to continuously maintain two address books and always wonder which one has the most current info for any given contact.
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    We know that data transfer - that is, bytes transferred, are flat-rate cost with Sprint (thus in essence "free").

Question: Is data transfer TIME free?

=====

I don't use a smartphone, just a dumb one, so have no idea if data use is essenitally free or uses up your minutes.

If it DOES use up your minutes then each "connection" made to check for email via Good or any other software is costing real money, thus my request for clarification.
    The $15 fee for Unlimited Vision on Sprint is all you pay. There are no per-connection or time-related charges.

When it is available on the GSM phones, this will also be the case. While it used to be that on a GSM phone you established a connection via CSD that would eat minutes, now, with GPRS, you only pay for data downloaded, or a flat rate for unlimited data.

Hope that helps.
    Originally posted by kas9

Unfortunately, he is correct on both counts (although the separate server can just be an extra desktop that is always on). My office decided to go with Goodlink over blackberry due to all of the extra features, but the server option was the way we went (and is the only option for Goodlink at this point) since most of us have laptops (blackberry redirection software on the workstation wouldn't work when traveling)
    Query - can't the software be installed on our main mail server in conjunction with my always on desktop?
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Query - can't the software be installed on our main mail server in conjunction with my always on desktop?
    I know they "recommend" installing the software on its own server. I am not sure if it would still work if you installed it on your main server, but I am sure you can check with them. Like I mentioned, if you have an unused old desktop box that meets the minimum requirements, you could just use that. In any event, once you install this, you won't need to install anything on your desktop (except the hotsync conduit) and it wouldn't matter if you turn off your desktop.
    I just re-read one of kas9's posts and it made me realize that I may still be able to accomplish what I'm trying to do. So here's my question to the T600 users with GoodLink:

Is it possible to have the GoodLink installed and still have the Palm conduits installed simultaneously? What I'm trying to accomplish is to have the Palm DB act as a way to sync my office computer with my home computer (as I currently do with my T270). Obviously I want the GoodLink to receive real-time emails as I currently do with my G100. In re-reading kas9's post, I noticed that he actually disabled the Palm conduits and installed the GoodLink software onto his T600. I would presume that I could still install both, correct? This way, changes made on my home computer could be sync'd via USB to the T600, which would then sync via USB to my work machine. Then, any changes to the work machine would be sync'd to the Good client wirelessly. Convoluted...yes. But would it work?

Thanks,
    Ed
    Originally posted by stimbuktu
    I just re-read one of kas9's posts and it made me realize that I may still be able to accomplish what I'm trying to do. So here's my question to the T600 users with GoodLink:

Is it possible to have the GoodLink installed and still have the Palm conduits installed simultaneously? What I'm trying to accomplish is to have the Palm DB act as a way to sync my office computer with my home computer (as I currently do with my T270). Obviously I want the GoodLink to receive real-time emails as I currently do with my G100. In re-reading kas9's post, I noticed that he actually disabled the Palm conduits and installed the GoodLink software onto his T600. I would presume that I could still install both, correct? This way, changes made on my home computer could be sync'd via USB to the T600, which would then sync via USB to my work machine. Then, any changes to the work machine would be sync'd to the Good client wirelessly. Convoluted...yes. But would it work?

Thanks,
    Ed

I am not sure you can do exactly what you are talking about but I think I understand what you are trying to do (I might give it a try myself). At your office computer you can only install one or the other of the conduits (not both) and with goodlink you do NOT want to install the palm conduit (it supposedly screws things up in goodlink). However, it might be possible to then install the hotsync software on you home computer and instal the palm conduit there. I am not sure if this will actually work, since I don't know if you can sync the info on the Treo (in goodlink) to your home desktop, but it might be worth a try. If anyone has done this, let us know if it worked.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I've been in almost constant contact with Good over the last week. You should understand that they are gunning for the Blackbery Enterprise Server market. Most of these are still data-only devices, so the converged functionality (Like being able to automatically seach your contacts when trying to dial) will be Good's version and not Handsprings.

Although I can't speak from experience, I believe that you will find, as is the case with Blackberry, that the mobile e-mail / PIM functionality is top-notch, but the integration with the phone-side is weak (Please flame me if I'm wrong).

The idea here is that the only application (for office connectivity at least) you have loaded on your device is the Good app.

The other issue for many on this board will be price. You need to install the Good server on it's own box. This box can not have Outlook (or any MAPI client) installed on it (This is bacause, like the Blackberry server, it relies heavily on the CDO app). You don't need a really powerful machine to run the server (A PIII will do), but the startup costs are enormous for a single user or a small office). The entry point for the Blackberry Enterprise Server is about $2,500.00, with maintenance costs of $1,500.00 of annum. Good beats this price by a fair margin, but not a huge margin. For example, It will run you about $600.00/yr per T600 for their solution.

Just my $0.02. I'm mostly jealous that I can't get the Blackberry-like solution for myself. Hopefully, they will follow with a Personal Edition or someone else will.
    Originally posted by KKenna
    Although I can't speak from experience, I believe that you will find, as is the case with Blackberry, that the mobile e-mail / PIM functionality is top-notch, but the integration with the phone-side is weak (Please flame me if I'm wrong).
    Although I have not used the Treo WITHOUT goodlink, the integration with the phone actually seems to be pretty good. It appears that they incorporated all of the standard HS integration into the goodlink software. It automatically looks up names as you dial a number and allows you to dial phone numbers directly from the body of an email, appointment, note, task, or contact. Caller ID also picks up names from the contacts. I have over 6000 contacts and the names come up very fast. Like I said, I might not be aware of other features that are available with the standard HS apps, but I can't think of any other integration features I would like to have so far.

I do agree that goodlink is not currently marketed for individual users (yet).

Does anyone else have goodlink installed yet? If so, what are your thoughts? The company seems very interested in incorporating additional feature requests (like soon being able to open jpg & gif files and being able to modify word and excel files from attachments and resending them out).
  10.    #30  
    Originally posted by kas9

Although I have not used the Treo WITHOUT goodlink, the integration with the phone actually seems to be pretty good. It appears that they incorporated all of the standard HS integration into the goodlink software. It automatically looks up names as you dial a number and allows you to dial phone numbers directly from the body of an email, appointment, note, task, or contact. Caller ID also picks up names from the contacts. I have over 6000 contacts and the names come up very fast. Like I said, I might not be aware of other features that are available with the standard HS apps, but I can't think of any other integration features I would like to have so far.

I do agree that goodlink is not currently marketed for individual users (yet).

Does anyone else have goodlink installed yet? If so, what are your thoughts? The company seems very interested in incorporating additional feature requests (like soon being able to open jpg & gif files and being able to modify word and excel files from attachments and resending them out).
    I also have it. I just installed it yesterday. It is all that the G100 was and so much more. It rocks.

I agree with all you've said. Having experienced the Treo with and without, I prefer it with.

The only functionality that I have seen lost is the ability to dial John Doe by typing JDO -- with the Good software it pulls up only contacts with the typed letters in a row (i.e., JOHN or DOE). The Good contacts are better, though, because they only show one number per person, thus fitting more names on the screen.
    From what I've heard, you need an SD card and a new version of Palm Desktop to use Goodlink 2.1a. With the G100 you really never have to USB sync. This doesn't help those of you with multiple setups.

Questions for those with it working on the TREO:
    - Will it sync subfolders in contacts?
    - When you grab more text, is it faster than the G100? Mobitex is SLOW
    - Does it support rich text or HTML rendering
    - Does it recognize weblinks and allow you to jump to blazer
    - Does it include the Office translators?
    - How's the screen hold up given it's only 160 x 160?

Feature requests:
    - Rich text or HTML rendering. If nothing else, just preserve the format
    - Ability to set the size of the message fetch. The G100 is annoying because it's so slow. With big SD cards, we can store more
    - JPEG or GIFs would be a good thing now with color

Thanks
    This post has kind of drifted down for a while. I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has had any luck syncing wirelessly via Goodlink at work and syncing via USB Hotsync at home using the same T600.

Also, here's an amusing anecdote: Someone at my office has a friend at Handspring who hooked him and his wife up with free GSM T600s. My coworker is a sales guy who has very little knowledge of technology and only wants the T600 because it's free and because he hates his current cellphone. Well, his GSM T600 just arrived in today's mail and he's charging it as we speak. Meanwhile, I'm the chief tech guy at our office and want to evaluate a couple for enterprise level deployment and I can't even buy one if I wanted to.
    So I've been playing around with my coworker's GSM Treo 600 and discovered a few notable things:

1. I can confirm that you will need an SD card to use the Goodlink software (as Bobco mentioned in his post).

2. The annual user maintenance for the Goodlink software is almost double for using a Treo 600 versus using a G100.

Those are really the only notes regarding Goodlink. Here are a few things worth noting about the T600 unit that I wasn't expecting:

1. The phone is smaller than I thought it'd be. It's still not small compared to conventional cellphones and is actually comparably sized to my T270, but it just seems and feels smaller.

2. Early reports seemed to indicate that it felt heavier and more durable than the older Treos. I still get the sense that it's a light and very delicate piece of equipment. I also still feel like it's got the cheap plastic feel to it (but at the end of the day I'd rather be carrying a light phone than a heavy brick around all day).

3. The SIM card does not have a snap door anymore. It is a sliding tray from the top. That worries me because in most of the older Treo's that I've seen, the stylus gets very loose and starts to slide out a little too easily over time. The SIM card tray is tight now, but I hope that it doesn't loosen over time.

4. I have small to average size hands and I found that the buttons took some getting used to. Large handed people will likely have a difficult time with this device.
    I've been running a CDMA Treo 600 and GoodLink for a week. I also had Good representatives in the office and working with me on the installation and use.

An SD card is recommended, but not required. During the installation, you are asked if you want to back up the Good installation to a SD card. If you don't have one, or don't want to back the software up, then you can say no to the prompt and continue the escalation.

My company is in the process of deploying Good to replace the Blackberry software. In this, a number of us are getting or have gotten GSM or CDMA Treo 600s, while others are getting their blackberry devices upgraded to run the Good software. Overall, we are pleased with Good.

I am getting messages on my Treo within 30 seconds of their arrival in my Outlook inbox. Sorry, I haven't tried to synch with a home PC - but I know that Good needs to have the outlook conduit uninstalled before you can complete the installation. There are set processes for synching a device with multiple pc's, and I think it should work as long as the home pc is synched to the Palm Desktop and not Outlook. (That may be the show stopper.)

On the RIM devices that we use, Good has an IM application that supports the paging function. That application isn't present for the CDMA Treo 600. For that, those of us on Sprint must wait for the Sprint improvements to SMS for that functionality.

I am a huge fan of the Treo 600, and it's a big improvement over RIM devices and the Treo 300 - both of which I've used for the year. It's heavier and more solid than the 300, and they've wisely eliminated the clamshell which was prone to breakage.
    My company has goodlink through Cingluar. Can I run software on a T600 from Sprint and connect?
    If you have the right server software you should be able to do it no matter who the provider is.

Each handset has to be provisioned correctly via the ESN.

The person who admins your Good server should be able to help you.
    Originally posted by Bobco
    From what I've heard, you need an SD card and a new version of Palm Desktop to use Goodlink 2.1a. With the G100 you really never have to USB sync. This doesn't help those of you with multiple setups.

Questions for those with it working on the TREO:
    - Will it sync subfolders in contacts?
    -Thanks
    Good currently does not supprt subfolders (unfortunately), but tech support over at good recommended the following. They said that if my network admin sets up those subfolders on the public portion of the server I would be able to sync it. You just have to restrict rights to those folders of your contacts from everyone else. Reason being is that those are root folders not subfolders, so for the time being it's a fix.

Also you should know that Good tech also told me that they are going to (hopefully in a few months) have where you could use certain 3rd party apps for viewing attachments.
    Originally posted by aacnyc

Good currently does not supprt subfolders (unfortunately), but tech support over at good recommended the following...
    When you refer to sub-folders, are you refering to folders inside your MS Inbox? If so, I am able to access all of mine, which is awesome.

We are using Goodlink with legarcy blackberry's, and Sprint T600. Next week we're hoping to trial Cingular and T-Mo GSM T600's, as we'd like to make an enterprise decision by year end.

Goodlink+T600=Awesome & Indispensible Enterprise Tool!!!
    Originally posted by rbrar

When you refer to sub-folders, are you refering to folders inside your MS Inbox? If so, I am able to access all of mine, which is awesome.

A little clarification. If you look at my answer it was to a qoute regarding CONTACT subfolders. Contact subfolders are the problem, not regular email subfolders. Hope that helps.
    Does anyone know how to re-enable the built in PalmOS apps so they can co-exist with GoodLink?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast