Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried using Sprint for wireless Internet access through the Treo600? If this can be done, what cable do I need? When I'm away from home, I use NetZero for dialup access... wondering if I can cancel NetZero in lieu of T600.
    go.digital
    www.notifymail.com/palm

There's one other one, it's actually listed on Handspring's site, but I've used Scott's Wireless Modem software and can attest to it.
    PDAnet has a version out for the 600. This is the way to go for Windows machines.
    Is there still any concern about Sprint billing people extra for "casual web usage" or whatever they were calling it? I remember with the 300 on Sprint, some people were finding that "unlimited data" didn't necessarily mean unlimited. If you hook up to a laptop you would end up using a lot more data and that apparently wasn't what Sprint had in mind.

So...I haven't heard anything about recently, but it's something to consider before jumping in head first and ending up with an extra $100 on your next bill .

peace
    skydog
    Do these programs work on a Mac?
    I agree with ChemEngr - PDANet is the best tool I've seen for the Windows platform.

I've also used it above and beyond casual use - 2+ hours connected - 20MB data transfer - and never got an additional charge from Sprint.
    PDANet is great, and all you need is the USB cable plugged into your computer or laptop. I use a cable that also charges my T600 at the same time I'm connect to my Laptop.

The issue with using too much "unlimited Vision" will be harder with the new Blazer browser. Since it doesn't go through a Proxy server, but instead is full JAVA, the amount of data from each website won't be "clipped" through a proxy server, and should therefore be larger. I would think that it will be harder for Sprint to tell whether the usage came from another computer, or from the T600 browsing.

Still, the risk is great, so when I travel I only use it to check email and a few other things. If I want to do more, I usually go to Starbucks and use my WI-FI card via t-mobile HotSpot direct into my laptop.

Still, leave it to Sprint to figure out a way to make "unlimited" have a limit!
    I got one word for you:

"PDANet"

Greg
    As far as I have read, Sprint was not cracking down on users who simply used their Vision service a lot, but they were cracking down on those who would use their cell phones as ISP replacements. I have read about people using their cell phones because it was faster than downloading through a dial-up. These people would connect to Kazaa and iMesh and all sorts of P2P and download files all night long! They were sucking up TONs of bandwidth. I have faithfully used Sprints Vision service while on the road through my phone(s) (Sanyo SCP-4900 and 8100) for well over a year and a half and have downloaded hundreds of MB. I never got a call. I feel my use was responsible and necessary! I guess I could hold my breath and keep my fingers crossed, but from my reading, I think we are talking about those who truly abusing the system.
    Zoomer777,

I agree with your analysis. In fact the only examples I heard of from Sprint CS reps is people using it as their main ISP.

I think if you're reasonable, don't so hugh MB's of download daily, everyday, you're probably fine. I don't think they are worried about that, just real abusers.

NorCalAl
    hey,

anyone know if it'll be possible to get on the internet with a laptop if you connect via usb/bluetooth(via card or whatever) to the treo600? i've got my cingular gsm version coming asap.

thanks.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Do a search for "PDANet". It's awesome. I used it while I was on the road last week.
    Originally posted by subimage
    hey,

anyone know if it'll be possible to get on the internet with a laptop if you connect via usb/bluetooth(via card or whatever) to the treo600? i've got my cingular gsm version coming asap.

thanks.
    and

Originally posted by jwrogers
    Do a search for "PDANet". It's awesome. I used it while I was on the road last week.
    Actually, PDANet currently can only connect via usb and NOT bluetooth b/c it is hard coded that way. Once the BT SD cards do come out, the only current option is to use Wireless Modem which is able to connect the Treo600 as a modem to laptop via IR or BT...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    i just signed up for sprintpcs vision - $15 a month unlimited - does this mean i can use pdanet to connect my laptop 24x7 (batteries excluded) for $15 a month - sounds pretty good to me...
    Originally posted by opensoar
    i just signed up for sprintpcs vision - $15 a month unlimited - does this mean i can use pdanet to connect my laptop 24x7 (batteries excluded) for $15 a month - sounds pretty good to me...
    Technically this is against the TOS and thus Sprint can drop your vision service. Fortunately, Sprint rarely enforces this rule and many users use their mobiles as modems for their computers. Unless your are super self-righteous PITA like PurpleZ or something, I'ld say don't worry about and go ahead and use the software! The going theory is that the Sprint loyal office that overseas such matters doesn't really flag your account unless you are super abusing bandwidth (i.e. greater than 1 GB/month), but none of this is really verifiable. Basically, use it occasionaly when you need it and you'll be fine, but don't try to depend on it as your primary ISP or for downloading from Kazaa!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Actually, PDANet currently can only connect via usb and NOT bluetooth b/c it is hard coded that way.
    I told to Treo 300 forum the first day PdaNet (then PalmNet) was out that it was not a good design while WirelessModem was. Now you see what I mean. Other than making Treo a standard modem, but hard wiring it to a desktop is a very bad design idea.

That said, PdaNet is really fast (I bought both PdaNet and WM).

gfunkmagic, how can you be so sure that WM will support BT? Will WM smart enough to listen to the right serial port that BT is using?
    Originally posted by Fixup

I told to Treo 300 forum the first day PdaNet (then PalmNet) was out that it was not a good design while WirelessModem was. Now you see what I mean. Other than making Treo a standard modem, but hard wiring it to a desktop is a very bad design idea.

That said, PdaNet is really fast (I bought both PdaNet and WM).

gfunkmagic, how can you be so sure that WM will support BT? Will WM smart enough to listen to the right serial port that BT is using?
    He can be sure it will support BT because I said it already does support BT. I have tested BT using a Kyocera 7135 and a Tungsten W. WirelessModem, when the second port is set as Bluetooth, registers itself as a BT endpoint as a "Palm Modem" or something like that.
    Like he said!

And as far as Sprint getting you for excess data, well, Handspring gave me this nice Pocket Tunes program that works with Shoutcast for audio streaming, so I think the bar for "excess use" just got raised..
    Originally posted by sgruby

He can be sure it will support BT because I said it already does support BT. I have tested BT using a Kyocera 7135 and a Tungsten W. WirelessModem, when the second port is set as Bluetooth, registers itself as a BT endpoint as a "Palm Modem" or something like that.
    Perfect, perfect, perfect!!! Scott, I hope Sprint will not bring any trouble to you because you provide us a way to use BT with Sprint. I'm downloading the latest version of WM now, just in case.

Now I just cross my fingers for a BT card that supports OS5.

Now my choice is narrowed down to: T-Mobile or Sprint?

With T-Mobile, I don't worry about "excess data" usage but no signal in my office and the speed is indeed lower (Sprint's ping time is usually 400ms vs. t-mobile's 800ms).
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast