Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler

3) Unlike T-Mobile and some others, Sprint offers a true internet connection that is not behind a firewall or proxy. You can VPN in to your network, etc.
    T-Mobile offers unlimited GPRS data for an additional $20 a month. This is all ports, full VPN, routeable IP, etc. No firewall, no proxy (although T-Mobile does provide a web proxy that compresses graphics, if you want this and enable it). I routinely get 50k/sec from T-Mobile here in NYC. It is not quite as fast as what I get from my Verizon phone and 1xRTT (also here in NYC) which gives me about 65k/sec, and once in a blue moon, 90k/sec.

Bill S
    Originally posted by chrispawling

Any way to do this?
    Yes, there is an app my notifymail.com called Wireless Modem...but the dev had to remove it from the site b/c hackers tried to steal the driver!

) Sprint does not enable or encourage people to use the TREO as a laptop modem, but you can do this using PDANet or some other program.
    Remember however, that Sprint charges $0.40 cents/min if you try to connect your Treo as modem to 3rd party ISP!! That can get very expensive bleieve me!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    How do i use my treo to check mail on my pc. Is there a cable, program???

Thanks !
    What are you looking to do? Do you want to check mail that's already on your PC - if so you need something like Seven . If you want to check your mail with your PC, using your Treo to connect to the internet you need PDA Net. You don't need any cables for the first method, and you just need your regular hotsync cable for the latter.

Dunc
    I was wondering if it is possible to link my laptop to the Treo using the IR port and use the Treo as a modem to gain access to the 1XRTT network for use on the laptop.
    your connection would be very slow, the best way is the use the provided USB cable to connect with the laptop using PDANet software.
    My Kyocera 7135 went for a walk, and I'm debating between another 7135 and a Treo 600. I need something this week so waiting for the 650 isn't an option.

I've read the FAQs here and several posts on Mac synchronization. I didn't see anything on usage as a modem with a Mac, something I need to do regularly. I'm on Verizon (and sticking with them) using their 1xRTT data service.

Anyone have any experience to offer here, or link/post to direct me to?

More generally, any feedback on anyone switching between these models? I know the specs well, more interested in experience and quirks. The 7135 certainly has its quirks (occasional crashing, rapid battery drain on low signal strength, etc.) but overall it was ok. I'm interested in the camera and real keyboard of the 600.
    I have a Mac and AT&T service. Apparantly WirelessModem is the only software that can allow you to use your Mac as a Wireless Modem. Unfortunately WirelessModem does not have the scripts for AT&T. I just gave up at that point Anyway, here is a previous post from someone who seemed able to get it to work.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=mac+modem
  9. pkb
    You could try This as well.....
    WirelessModem works great. To get the proper modem scripts, head over to www.macronsoft.com and look for the GPRS Script Generator app (GSG). This gives you the script you need. Follow the instructions for both apps carefully, and search for and read all postings here and at the WirelessModem (www.notifymail.com).
    WM: works but is kludgy & overpriced.
    Camera: poor quality compared \
    Pre-what?
    I've tried for several weeks now to get my Mac (PowerBook) with 10.3.5 and the Treo 600 to work using WirelessModem.

I read, searched, reviewed, reread, tried eveything I could find, BUT ...no.

Can get connected for about 4 mins and then it hangs. To top that off I have to hard reset to mac to get it to disconnect.

Teathered, yes.. work, NO.

Any other ideas? Can we use usb to serial on this phone?
    I had the same problems with this. However, there is a fix whereby you can setup the Treo to dial out with an older version of wireless modem (and not even have to pay for it) and it works without hanging up. I found this posted on a sprintpcs forum somewhere. I don't have the link on this computer I am posting from but if you email me, I'll send it to you.

-Z
    It works fine for me with the most uptdated software for mac and treo. There are directions at sprintpcsinfo.com on how to download a slightly older version of WirelessModem, use tethered mode and do it all for free.
    I have been to the sprint site. Tried the Teathered route. Hangs.

Tried the older version. Hangs. BLUE Screen!

New beta osx program. Hangs.

Almost ready to give up and try the PC 5220 card (with OSx drivers).

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've always had the same problem.... it works for anywhere from 3-20 minutes, then stops working. However, I've at least come up with a workaround to having to REBOOT (I'm using a 12" powerbook).

What I've found is that if I'm still connected (ie, able to download, not just that it shows it's connected), then disconnecting normally works. If I APPEAR to still be connected, but nothing is actually downloading (you can tell this by configuring WM on the treo to show activity as it's downloading), then the best way to disconnect is:

1) Tap on a hard button to change apps from WM to something else.
    2) An error message will pop up on the mac saying you shouldn't have done that.
    3) Tap ok
    4) Tap ok again (some second error message comes up... can't remember what)
    5) You should now have full control over the mac and treo....
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    I've always had the same problem.... it works for anywhere from 3-20 minutes, then stops working. However, I've at least come up with a workaround to having to REBOOT (I'm using a 12" powerbook).

What I've found is that if I'm still connected (ie, able to download, not just that it shows it's connected), then disconnecting normally works. If I APPEAR to still be connected, but nothing is actually downloading (you can tell this by configuring WM on the treo to show activity as it's downloading), then the best way to disconnect is:

1) Tap on a hard button to change apps from WM to something else.
    2) An error message will pop up on the mac saying you shouldn't have done that.
    3) Tap ok
    4) Tap ok again (some second error message comes up... can't remember what)
    5) You should now have full control over the mac and treo....
    Thanks. I'll note that workaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Bill
    Thanks. I'll note that workaround.
    The problem isn't the software, it's the cable. I have used WM for over 2 years with 10.x with no problems. However, when WM and 10.3 clashed someone on Notify's list serv figured out that the 4 minute hang was due to the stock USB cable. If you switch to the serial cable with a Keyspan Adaptor (which I have and it works flawlessly) you will not have the problem. Granted, you do have to buy a new cable but it beats not being able to connect for longer than 4-5 minutes. This problem and solution are well documented on the NotifyMail list by searching the archives of about 6 months ago at NotifyMail List

Regards,

Will
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo
    Camera: poor quality compared \
    And the browser doesn't work too well either. Seems to truncate messages to this board.

The original message follows...

Camera: poor quality compared to other phones--contrasty, barrel distortion, color shifts, out of focus. Some Treos better than others.
    Keyboard: works great after you get use to it.
    Is the software out there I can use to surf the web using my treo as a modem.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast